Struggling. Not much of a change:(

Options
I have been going to the gym 5 times a week ( lots of weight training and moderate cardio classes) and eating no more than 1400-1500 calories and I have not seen much weight loss. I would say its only been a couple weeks since I have been 100% dedicated but it is still discouraging. Hopefully I will see some changes soon. Have only lost 1 pound so far. :(

Replies

• ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Keep at it! xxx
  • tam823
    tam823 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Think about how your clothes fit. How good you feel physically. Scale is a horrible way to track your loss. Take some pics if you haven't already. Before and after pics tell a much better story than the scale. Hang in there! You can do this!
  • ElPatoLoco
    ElPatoLoco Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem a few years ago when I went to the gym a lot... One of the trainers at the gym explained to me that a lot of strength exercises converts fat to muscle which is heavier so although my fat was reducing my weight wasn't.

As Tam says, scales are a horrible way to track weight loss especially of you are strength exercising a lot, better to get a tape measure and look at how your body is shaping.

And be careful you don't fall into the trap of having too few calories to try and lose weight... if you're doing a lot of exercise you may be burning more than you realise. When I was exercising a lot more than I do these days I found my heart rate monitor was a massive help in helping to calculate my calorie burn. They're fairly inexpensive these days and if you are that dedicated to working out then you may find it'll help.
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Ignore the scales, you are doing all the right things. When I did a lot of exercise I was exactly the same weight as when I didn't but I was a dress size smaller and much more toned and fit. Wish I hadn't given it all up and having to start all over again :sad:
  • cutenemo
    Options
    think inches not pounds, it always helped motivate me and make sure you take pictures too! Keep at it and don't lose hope :D
    Good Luck!
  • ToxicTinkerbell
    ToxicTinkerbell Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Ignore the scales. keep going. It takes a while for your body to catch up and you are probably holding water in your muscles from working out. The main thing is you are getting fitter and healthier, everything else will follow in time :)
  • Jimmytreatingtons
    Jimmytreatingtons Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Just stick with it and ignore the scales, I did a weigh in last week and lost a few pounds but if you are doing lots of weights training they might be stopping the weight loss.

Muscle is heavier than fat. I'd bear with it for a while, unless you want to lose weight then up the cardio workouts.

I lost too much wieght from knocking the weights on the head and just doing Cardio. It wasn't for me so I am doing 25-30 mins of weights targeting one area then finishing off with cardio, trying this for 4-6 weeks and see how I get on.

Sure you will get there!
  • owlgoose
    owlgoose Posts: 25
    Options
    I had a similar problem a few years ago when I went to the gym a lot... One of the trainers at the gym explained to me that a lot of strength exercises converts fat to muscle which is heavier so although my fat was reducing my weight wasn't.

As Tam says, scales are a horrible way to track weight loss especially of you are strength exercising a lot, better to get a tape measure and look at how your body is shaping.

And be careful you don't fall into the trap of having too few calories to try and lose weight... if you're doing a lot of exercise you may be burning more than you realise. When I was exercising a lot more than I do these days I found my heart rate monitor was a massive help in helping to calculate my calorie burn. They're fairly inexpensive these days and if you are that dedicated to working out then you may find it'll help.

A gym told you that you can 'convert' fat cells into muscle tissue? how very odd.
  • Leanalgreen
    Leanalgreen Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think you know that the trainer meant the fat will be burned off and muscle will be buil. As others have said the best ways to judge your fitness gains/losses is through pictures and a tape measure. Measure your arms waist and hips at minimum. You can also measure your thighs and ches. This will give you the best idea of how things are going. If they aren't changing with these methods it will be time to rethink your training methods. It sounds like guts doing everything right though. Keep it up!
  • LeslieC1970
    Options
    Try not to get discouraged. I have done this in the past as well and while the scale moves down slowly, the physical changes are what matters. I never felt healthier or stronger at that time.

Unfortunately, I let that go and now I am also back at the gym with a trainer. I am at 3 weeks now and down 5 lbs but I do feel better already.
  • erikapereira
    Options
    I feel you.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!