Using MFP's exercise calories

Options
Hi Friends,
I have been a member for a little more than a month now and have lost around 3-4 pounds and am at 170 pounds right now (5 ft 5 in female). I generally use MFP's exercise calories in my exercie diary. Is that ok? I don't have a fit bit. Should I get one? Suggestions/advice welcome?

Replies

• fletchleg
    fletchleg Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I think the best way to use them is as an estimate. They can't tell how hard you work or push yourself etc but I think a heart rate monitor would be more accurate if thats what you're looking for (such as using a fitbit) x
  • priyaFitnessFreak
    priyaFitnessFreak Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I do use a heart rate monitor. I try to keep my heart rate above 130 while working out and try to hit 160-170 atleast for 15 mins during the workout session. But, it doesn't give me the calories burned though. Should I rely on MFP's estimates to get a good approximation?
  • smalltank
    Options
    after a while doing cardio..bike/elyptical machine..you should FEEL how fast you go..but I use the handle bars to check my HR 130-135 for 30 minutes.
  • SkorpionUK
    Options
    Glad somebody else asked this, I'm not sure about the answer either. MFP _seems_ to overestimate my exercise calories, does anyone else know whether it does? I think I saw a comment from a long-term MFP member that they only put in half the time to get the right calories.
  • CJSCHUYLER
    CJSCHUYLER Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have noticed the same with the MFP calorie counter. I kinda use a combination of the machine that i am on and my iPod. My iPod has the Nike+ app that can connect and record information from some machines you use or you can use it running on the treadmill as if you were running outside. I have a heart rate monitor watch combo but have not broke it out yet, i will give that a whril pretty soon since i am on my cutting phase in the gym and will be doing more intense training. I hope this helps a little for you. have a good day and have fun.