Carrots, celery sticks - how to make them yummy??

Options
scandiebirdie
scandiebirdie Posts: 58 Member
I have an abundance of carrots and celery sticks in my fridge. I don't particularly like celery sticks (and am deffo tired of them w. hoummus and "hate" them in salad). Any recipe ideas? Otherwise, my lunch today will be celery sticks w. yoghurt and garlic dressing (which actually sounds nice right now) :)
Also there is a cauliflower lurking in there - and a cupboard full of lentils and beans and chickpeas... Am thinking veggie balti unless anyone has a better and more delish idea.

Replies

• jade_cha
    Options
    Celery is really nice dipped in peanut butter. A good way to use up all of those veggies and legumes would be a curry yes, maybe a dhal?
  • scandiebirdie
    Options
    Yeah, dhal! Will do a whole Indian themed (vegetarian) dinner tonight - balti and dhal :)
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter makes ANYTHING better!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Lots of lovely vegetable soups and stews to be made from that lot! Chop teh celery into tiny little pieces and you'll hardly even notice it's there.

Carrot and lentil is a great combination - celery, chickpea and cauliflower might be interesting!
  • jessalleyne
    Options
    I like celery with peanut butter - and you could add a few raisins on top (ants on a log). The other way to go is to add to ground meat (beef or turkey) or to add to stews/soups. They add flavor, but don't have the strong celery taste when cooked.
  • piesbd
    piesbd Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Here is what I just made....

Black beans
    diced carrots
    diced celery
    diced onion
    garlic
    halfed cheeey or grape tomatoes
    Brown rice (cooked - 1c)
    Lime juice/olive oil/water mixed for dressing
    salt/pepper (any other herb you may want - basil or cilantro is good)
    feta cheese (fat free if you can find it)

Mix, let marinate, and enjoy!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I make a tuna dip (tuna fish, cottage cheese, chives) and dip the celery in that, using celery as a cracker.
  • AnnaMGP
    AnnaMGP Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Have you tried mixed some spices with Fat Free Cream cheese? Garlic and chives are really good.
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    I make a tuna dip (tuna fish, cottage cheese, chives) and dip the celery in that, using celery as a cracker.

Yes, this or make up tuna like you would put on a sandwich and use the celery instead. Yum!
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Yummy with a salsa dip.
  • HazelCaz
    HazelCaz Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I dip carrots celery or sugar snap peas in hummus. They make a lot of different flavors. I like the roasted red pepper.
  • scandiebirdie
    Options
    Thanks, guys! I'm going to make a big batch of veggie-lentil dhal or balti tomorrow. And I love the black bean "salad" idea too!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,724 Member
    Options
    Soup au Pistou is an easy favorite of mine for leftover bits of vegetable. Boiled up the vegetables and then add a whopping spoonful of pesto to flavor the stock.
  • thatyogagirl
    thatyogagirl Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I love dipping celery and carrots in salsa or yogurt dip!
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    hummus......the end
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    They are yummy by themselves!
    But, in a pinch I use PB or low fat ranch dressing. Hummus or a dip made with greek yogurt.
    You could slice them and add them to tuna or chicken salad.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Celery & carrots ..... with Laughing Cow cheese spreads ..... delicious :drinker:

And how about roasting all those veggies ...... roasted cauliflower is amazing !
  • Corjogo
    Corjogo Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Made a carrot dip the other day... good with veggie or fruit.

cook 2 carrots (sliced) with 1/2 inch piece of ginger (sliced) till softened (about 10 minutes),
    drain and put in food processor with:
    1/4 cup plain yogurt,
    2 tablespoons olive oil,
    1/4 to 1/2 tsp curry powder,
    1/2 tsp each of kosher salt - white vinegar - sweetener of choice (I use splenda)

Give it a whirl till you get a smooth consistancy.

Per 2 tablespoons: 38 Calories