ONLY 3.5LBS WEIGHT LOSS IN 1 MONTH!!!!!

Dear all,

I am a male, 29 years, weight - 208lbs.
Done with my Month 1 of power 90(Beachbody workout home video) and i've lost hardly any weight. Only 3.5pounds from where i started a month ago. I work out really hard and dont eat more that 1600-1700cals a day. On weekend i do Sculpt 1-2+Sweat 3-4 or FBE. Some days i do Sweat 3-4+FBE, On 2 cardio days i went for 10kms run/walks. Last 4 days, i've worked out atleast 6 hours and ate "kind of right".
My typical food daily is
Breakfastats with fat free milk+raisins and 2 spoon sugar OR Cornflakes(plain)+raisins+fat free milk.
Lunch:Indian bread(chapati, made with whole wheat) or 1.5 - 2 cups white rice+some curry. Mostly is Indian bread.
Snacks PM: Carmans energy Bar
Dinner - 3 slices brown bread + omelett OR Campbells instant Soup or Maggi instant noodles 1 cup
I dont follow nutrition guide from P90 just because my Indian food habits does not support it. And i do have some snacks from time to time. But on a daily basis, i always have 500-600cals calorie deficit. And i never eat more than 1700cals in a day.
Can someone please help me!!!Am i doing anything wrong?
Actually a brief history of my weight is - i lost almost 40pounds for wedding in Jan 2011(178lbs) and gained it all back 1 year post wedding. In Jan 2012, tried Herbalife shake diet and lost 17lbs in 3 months. Gained it all back 2 months after that. And now - decided to go for a lifestyle change with P90. But it looks like an doing something wrong here.

Replies

• peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    You've lost 3.5 lbs - totally reasonable amount to lose in a month. You aren't doing anything wrong.
  • warriorsdontbitch
    warriorsdontbitch Posts: 130 Member
    i think that you may not be eating enough calories
  • Dear all,

I am a male, 29 years, weight - 208lbs.
    Done with my Month 1 of power 90(Beachbody workout home video) and i've lost hardly any weight. Only 3.5pounds from where i started a month ago. I work out really hard and dont eat more that 1600-1700cals a day. On weekend i do Sculpt 1-2+Sweat 3-4 or FBE. Some days i do Sweat 3-4+FBE, On 2 cardio days i went for 10kms run/walks. Last 4 days, i've worked out atleast 6 hours and ate "kind of right".
    My typical food daily is
    Breakfastats with fat free milk+raisins and 2 spoon sugar OR Cornflakes(plain)+raisins+fat free milk.
    Lunch:Indian bread(chapati, made with whole wheat) or 1.5 - 2 cups white rice+some curry. Mostly is Indian bread.
    Snacks PM: Carmans energy Bar
    Dinner - 3 slices brown bread + omelett OR Campbells instant Soup or Maggi instant noodles 1 cup
    I dont follow nutrition guide from P90 just because my Indian food habits does not support it. And i do have some snacks from time to time. But on a daily basis, i always have 500-600cals calorie deficit. And i never eat more than 1700cals in a day.
    Can someone please help me!!!Am i doing anything wrong?
    Actually a brief history of my weight is - i lost almost 40pounds for wedding in Jan 2011(178lbs) and gained it all back 1 year post wedding. In Jan 2012, tried Herbalife shake diet and lost 17lbs in 3 months. Gained it all back 2 months after that. And now - decided to go for a lifestyle change with P90. But it looks like an doing something wrong here.

How much muscle did you have on your body before weighing yourself. Also, did you weigh yourself during the 30 days. You may have lost more than 3.5 pounds of fat, but gained more weight in muscle.
  • foochick
    foochick Posts: 105 Member
    I agree that you may not be eating enough, on the other hand...sounds like you've worked very hard to build muscle and you may have gained some muscle weight. Are you measuring? Sometimes that's a better judge of what's happening, and 3.5 pounds a month is almost a pound a week...that's reasonable, not super agressive, and not slow.
    Yay! you lost 3.5 pounds!!! :D
  • You may also be losing inches are u taking measurements ? Also every pound counts hang in there ....there is no easy fix .......Just stay strong and continue what u are doing ....Doing something is better then doing nothing :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • i had this problem but i started to weigh myself more and it was because i was gaining muscle try not to beat yourself up about it. Make sure your eating enough claories to cover your bmr
  • Eat fruit and vegetables as snacks or add to meals? I think 3.5 lb is alright but I suppose I'm alot smaller so
  • John2347
    John2347 Posts: 336 Member
    holy carbs batman!... if you are looking for significant weight loss, cut down the insane number of carbs that you are eating and replace those carb calories with protein calories. increasing protein intake and reducing carb intake will make your body use more body fat for fuel than the carbs supplied in your diet. start the morning off with the most carbs of the day and taper it off throughout the day to little carbs at night. also make sure you have protein with every meal/snack (very important) since it is slower to digest than all the carbs that you are eating.

ps. carbs are the easiest to digest and turns into stored body fat quicker than anything else
  • unicornpoop
    unicornpoop Posts: 178 Member
    Only 3.5, that is still awesome! Slower loss is more manageable in the long run. I would be thrilled to lose 3.5 in a month since I have plateaued all summer.
  • jeepzilla
    jeepzilla Posts: 201
    you really need to eat more if im not mistaken and anyone else that has done p90 or p90x you should be around 3000 calories for that intense of a work out. when i did p90x i ate around that much I gain a lot of muscle.

you might want to try some old fashion running I lots 2 pounds per week running around 3 miles a day. theres a fine balance of calories that you intake everyone will tell you to eat clean. If you plan your meals out you can do it no problem.

also if you drink sodas stop now you will lose around 1 or 2 pounds just by getting rid of them you will feel better too. If you wanted to get extreame you could drink a protein shake in the mornings,

work out then a post recovery drink or shake, mid day snack power bar or shake, another bar or other snack and a nice dinner with the work out you will lose weight. and no its not unhealthy to substitute a protien shake for a meal.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    You are not eating anywhere near enough, especially if you are exercising a lot. I eat 2100 and I'm a 5'5 / 182lb female losing 1.5-2lbs a week, exercising 5-6 days. For a male who works out I would expect you would need 3000 plus to maintain, so at least 2000-2500 to lose. If you are exercising, macros are important not just calories, try and aim for at least 25% protein.

You will not have gained muscle while in a large deficit eating mostly carbs, it take a lot of heavy weight training and a high protein diet to gain muscle, and its pretty much impossible to do while in a deficit.

Have a look for helloitsdans post 'in place of a roadmap', and work out your cals from there. I would cut down the carbs a bit and eat more protein and fruits / vegs. Eating Indian food doesnt mean you can't follow nutrition guidelines, for example for your lunch have more curry, ideally with meat for protein and some vegatables, and less rice / bread. your dinner seems to be carbs only except for the omlette, so try adding some meat or eggs. Add some protein shakes as snacks if you need to.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Chill - 3.5 a month is fine.
  • nithinmuktesh83
    nithinmuktesh83 Posts: 9 Member

How much muscle did you have on your body before weighing yourself. Also, did you weigh yourself during the 30 days. You may have lost more than 3.5 pounds of fat, but gained more weight in muscle.

I havnt lost much fat either! i was 35%fast when started, 30 days down - i am 34.4% :-(
  • nithinmuktesh83
    You may also be losing inches are u taking measurements ? Also every pound counts hang in there ....there is no easy fix .......Just stay strong and continue what u are doing ....Doing something is better then doing nothing :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Yes, i have lost inches for sure. i can fill tht. I have a HUGE belly. Thats reduced quite a lot now. But only thing it, its not showing up in the scales :-(
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    A pound a week is a very reasonable loss, especially considering the fact that you aren't starving yourself.
    You are likely not building muscle eating at a deficit, no matter what anyone says. More than likely, you are retaining some water. It seems that you eat a lot of processed foods, which are generally pretty high in sodium. My recommendation would be to substitute some of those with whole foods--fruits, vegetables, nuts, quinoa, etc. See if that doesn't make a difference.
    Above all, be patient. If it's truly a lifestyle change, then you have all the time in the world. The weight didn't go on overnight, and it won't come of overnight. A few tweaks here and there, and you'll see the weight continue to drop off. Good luck!
  • If losing weight is more important to you now, lighten up on the weights and concentrate on cardio more. Also make wiser choices in what you eat. And make sure when you eat is good also.

Plain and simple fact though, you need to burn more than you consume for weight loss. Regardless of what it is
  • nithinmuktesh83
    holy carbs batman!... if you are looking for significant weight loss, cut down the insane number of carbs that you are eating and replace those carb calories with protein calories. increasing protein intake and reducing carb intake will make your body use more body fat for fuel than the carbs supplied in your diet. start the morning off with the most carbs of the day and taper it off throughout the day to little carbs at night. also make sure you have protein with every meal/snack (very important) since it is slower to digest than all the carbs that you are eating.

ps. carbs are the easiest to digest and turns into stored body fat quicker than anything else

:-)....yes i think carbs i consume is more than required. will try to replace that with protiens. this is one of the biggest problems with indian food. too much carbs in the daily meal :-(
  • nithinmuktesh83
    Thanks man...I'll add a lot of protiens into my diet now...also will start having some shakes + protien bars. Needs to throw those carbs out of my diet....
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Try "Eat to Live" by Dr. Fuhrman. I've been following for six weeks and have lost 27 lbs in that time and feel the best I've felt in a very long time. It's definitely worth looking into.
  • nithinmuktesh83
    Hi..thanks a lot for reply. Can you please let me know which food you felt was the high sodium ones? Will try to replace those...