Heavy lifters - Did you do it during weight loss?

Options

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Yes - Iifting has been my priority this whole time. Three hours a week of weights, two of cardio (sometimes more if I get motivated on weekends).

I have never eaten 1200 cals though...1700+ during most of the time, 2100 now (and I'm still losing a pound a week).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Yes - Iifting has been my priority this whole time. Three hours a week of weights, two of cardio (sometimes more if I get motivated on weekends).

I have never eaten 1200 cals though...1700+ during most of the time, 2100 now (and I'm still losing a pound a week).

Nothing more to contribute - just a whoa, congratulations on your weight loss.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Shorty you have been such a huge help and i do believe you about the calories. I took a look at the site you sent to me and it suggested 1600 calories which of course freaks me out. I should probably do what you do and just increase gradually with the majority being an increase in protein. This is the reason i stopped being a vegetarian after 4 years. I felt like i was having to hard a time cutting my carbs and getting enough quality protein.

I don't lift heavy and am not helpful to the topic but I figured I'd step in and perhaps give you some relief.

You:
    5'9
    Start weight: 159-167lb
    MFP recommends: 1200 cals

Me:
    5'7
    Start weight: over 150lb
    Current weight: 120lb
    MFP recommends: 1200 cals
    CoderGal NETS: 1700 calories when not exercising...I can get upwards to 3xxx sometimes and I'm not fat yet :tongue:

If you're a fairly healthy individual without any metabolic diseases I can assure you 1600 cals is not going to make you fat if it can make a shorter lighter person skinnier. Also, make sure to eat back your exercise cals!

I trust CoderGals numbers. 1200 is way too low for your height and weight and if you're lifting heavy then 1200 is dangerously low. Start shooting for her 1600-1800 range at least.

As an aside, I'm realizing now that MFP works right out of the box for guys but seems to falter for women. For me, i put in my weight and it gave me 1980 calories a day, and I started losing 2 pounds a week within a week or two. But I weighed 100-150 pounds more than most women here. Looks like for smaller people it starts shooting for that 1200 mark that gets so many people into trouble. In the future I'll have to try to incorporate this problem into my responses.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Codergal, that is extremely helpful. I cannot believe you can eat that many calories and lost. Every time i hear one of those stories it just confuses me LOL. I guess what confuses me is i always thought the reason i gained the weight is because of eating so many calories. Well i guess i wasnt exercising either. But at one point i did work out but ate what i wanted and that didnt work either. I guess is the quality of calories that make a difference as well. Thanks.

Just to add to what Coder and the others have said.

I am 5 6", 164lbs, have a desk job, do strength training 4 times a week and basically no cardio. I am also a few years older than you. I eat to a static number (i.e. I do not eat my exercise calories as they are already incorporated into my base number). This gives me a 500 calorie a day deficit on average (as determined by online calculators, my BMF and more importantly, my results). I have been losing approx. 1lb a week on 1900 - 2000 calories a day.

I would add another suggestion. To make sure you can take full benefit of your strength training, make sure you get enough protein. I use the recommendation of 1g per lb of lean body mass (and 0.35g per lb of total body mass for fats) as a minimum threshold. The conbination of strength training, a reasonable deficit, and enough protein will allow you to maintain as much muscle mass as possible as you lose weight.
  • Reneefit135
    Options
    Yes. I stay pretty stable.

My wife eats about 1800 calories, which is a small deficit. She's strong as hell in no time at all.
    The fat is coming off. She just did a 210lb deadlift the other day and a 190lb squat!

OMG i am CLEARLY not lifting heavy enough. Dont think i could do that though. My elbows hurt at 40 lbs deadliest.
  • pikselinka
    pikselinka Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I still heavy lift and do cardio and am on low calorie diet as well at the same time. And I manage to pull it off and lose weight too.
  • Reneefit135
    Options
    I cannot get over how many calories you guys are eating and still losing weight. So much to think about. I just increased to 1400 but now my goal is to work my way to 1600. I have No problem eating the calories I can def find enough to eat LOL. I just need to watch what it is. I eat out a lot bc we travel a lot and even when at home jus on the go but am working on cooking more.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I'm about your age, but shorter at 5'5. I started at 160 and I'm now around 134.

I lost best at 1350-1600 plus exercise calories (increasing as I got closer to my goal), for a total of 1800-2000+.

I didn't start strength training until I was pretty much at goal weight, but I wished I started sooner.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Shorty's right about the tape thing. In the last month or so, I haven't lost much in pounds, and also, my waist etc hasn't shifted much when I measure with a tape. *But*, my shirts, tshirts and dresses all cling less. I've lost quite a bit of the 'flumpf' above and below my waistline, which I assume is body recomp.

In answer to your original question, my primary exercise is running (4-5 times a week), I lift heavy (2-3 times a week), and I cycle and walk as leisure activities. I think a mix of cardio and weights is optimum for health, and that's why I do it this way. I eat about 2k most days - and generally it's pretty good, healthy food (don't look at yesterday's diary though - that was a trainsmash! :-D )
  • Iceman1800
    Iceman1800 Posts: 476
    Options
    HIIT. Google it and do it. It works
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I cannot get over how many calories you guys are eating and still losing weight. So much to think about. I just increased to 1400 but now my goal is to work my way to 1600. I have No problem eating the calories I can def find enough to eat LOL. I just need to watch what it is. I eat out a lot bc we travel a lot and even when at home jus on the go but am working on cooking more.

I hope that's Net! And it really isn't allot, still below your average healthy individual. Stay away from the low cal thing. Your body won't have enough energy to repair and you'll likely be injury prone, be compromising your LBM, lose less fat even if the numbers on the scale moves down etc etc. Ask any of the lifters here who regret that they were on such a high deficit when they started. And see LorinaLynns thread if you still don't believe me:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/494091-i-just-don-t-care-anymore (take note of the 130-130 pics).

The reason people gain weight to begin with is they're far over those numbers and don't move around. More concerning is the weight they're gaining is fat. If I can be at the tip of underweight without lifting heavy and eat close to that 2000 mark, and most the heavy lifters do it, you can do it too. Don't associate health with lack of food. Fuel is good.

Also if you haven't been eating enough to repair your muscles expect temporary water weight. It's good for you, it repairs muscles so you can get stronger and gives nutrients to the rest of your body. I don't lift heavy but I do hike. My butt has been an inch and a half wider then it usually is for the past week. It was likely the extra hiking thus extra fluid my fantastic butt muscles needed haha. It's gone since this morning :)

If you need help figuring out calories I suggest going here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/682138-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

And reading my thread so you get a bit of background:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/637094-cinderella-s-weight-loss-knowledge
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    during my most recent cut phase (weight loss) I actually dropped cardio from 2 days/week to 1, and lifted heavy 4 times, up from 3. The main reason for me doing this is in a caloric deficit, I did not want to use the limited energy to do cardio, I used it to repair my muscles between workouts, If the muscles didn't have have the time or energy required to repair a large % of weight loss would have come from lean muscle, not just fat.

Cardio does not help you lose fat, it helps you create a caloric deficit. This deficit can be done by diet alone, or a combo of diet and exercise. Cardio would allow you to eat more while maintaining the same deficit as you can get from diet alone. Strength training while in a deficit on the other hand will help retain the muscle you already have, which will lead to most of you loss being fat, instead of a large % of lean muscle loss you would see with cardio only.
  • Reneefit135
    Options
    This is great info. Im talking it all in and will read those links Codergal. Thanks Any more suggestions keep them coming. This thread will be a keeper for me.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Yes. I stay pretty stable.

My wife eats about 1800 calories, which is a small deficit. She's strong as hell in no time at all.
    The fat is coming off. She just did a 210lb deadlift the other day and a 190lb squat!

OMG i am CLEARLY not lifting heavy enough. Dont think i could do that though. My elbows hurt at 40 lbs deadliest.

You've gotten great calorie advise from others so I won't repeat. When you say your elbows hurt, what exercise is it? What overall strength routine are you doing? There are some that will be most effective for overall fitness and fat burning.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    And calorie counting will help. I lost over a 100 lbs lifting heavy and food restriction but never counted calories, then I got stuck at a weight, struggled a bit, stopped heavy lifting, went back to heavy lifting and didn't count calories. I did end up losing clothing sizes while remaining the same weight. I also ate between 60g to 90g of protein per day and was able to gain muscle. As I mentioned in the other thread, my deadlift PR was 250lbs a little over a year ago. I know women sometimes get concerned about bulking up but I've only ever gotten smaller unless I was eating too much and putting on fat.

Then I got an unrelated injury, death in my immediate family and my exercise/diet went out the window and I gained weight. I'm back at it though and this time, I'm calorie counting. I know it is something I need to do.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're progressing to me. You've lost 2 full dress sizes. Keep going.

1200 calories sounds like too little to me, but I don't know your height and weight. But there is a very small percentage of the population for which 1200 is the right number. VERY small. Yet it seems 80% of the women on MFP start off at 1200. That doesn't math out for me. Double check your required and reset your macros if needed. (most likely it's needed).

And yes, I lift heavy while losing. I also lift heavy while gaining. And during maintenance. If you're not lifting heavy, why lift at all?

Congrats on 34lbs!! MFP put me on 1200 calories. I do notice a lot of us ladies start out here at 1200. I am 5ft 9 and weight ranges from 159-167.
    Sort of echoing what everyone else is saying, but your stats are so similar to mine (5'9", 167lbs, 42yo) I thought I'd chime in. You're at a healthy weight for your height now. I would definitely increase calories (1800-1900 wouldn't be unreasonable), lift weights, and not worry so much about the scale. And FWIW, I lost weight EASILY (almost too easily) at 1600 a day doing mainly low impact cardio and yoga before I started lifting 6 mos. ago. Since I started lifting, the weight loss has slowed but I've dropped 3 pants sizes.
  • Reneefit135
    Options
    You've gotten great calorie advise from others so I won't repeat. When you say your elbows hurt, what exercise is it? What overall strength routine are you doing? There are some that will be most effective for overall fitness and fat burning.
    [/quote]

My elbows hurt on overhead press mostly. But in general when i do a heavy work out my knees and elbows hurt. I will pay more attention to which moves im doing when they really hurt. I know even with Cardio Insanity bothered my knees and even Zumba. I have knee straps but going to move to a full brace. I dont know what i can put on my elbow to make it not hurt. i think its like others have said my form may not be right. As for routines I do Jari Love Get Ripped, Get Ripped and Chisled, Cathe Fredrich Slow and Heavy and when i go to the gym i use the routine recommended for beginners and simplyshredded.com. They have you alternate working lower and upper body with 3 sets of 12reps to failure and changing every 4 weeks until you get to a lot less reps...heavier weight every four weeks. Im still on the first 4 weeks.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I recommend you get the book Eat This, Not That restaurant version. Just because you're eating out, doesn't mean you can't hit your macros still lose weight while enjoying your meals. People won't even know you're dieting when you order. Just because you're travelling or on the road a lot is no excuse. My food diary looks crazy to people yet I've lost 4 inches off my waist in the last few months.

My elbows hurt on overhead press mostly. But in general when i do a heavy work out my knees and elbows hurt. I will pay more attention to which moves im doing when they really hurt. I know even with Cardio Insanity bothered my knees and even Zumba. I have knee straps but going to move to a full brace. I dont know what i can put on my elbow to make it not hurt. i think its like others have said my form may not be right. As for routines I do Jari Love Get Ripped, Get Ripped and Chisled, Cathe Fredrich Slow and Heavy and when i go to the gym i use the routine recommended for beginners and simplyshredded.com. They have you alternate working lower and upper body with 3 sets of 12reps to failure and changing every 4 weeks until you get to a lot less reps...heavier weight every four weeks. Im still on the first 4 weeks.
    [/quote]

I"m going to recommend that you don't use the straps or the brace right now. They can be helpful, but one thing they do is slow the development of some of your stabilizer muscles, assist muscles, and ligaments. Some of the pain can just be that you're new to lifting and you've got to develop strength in areas where you were never strong. But if it's serious pain, then I don't want you using straps to hide it or work around it, I want to you get checked out by a medical professional. I'll let you decide if the pain is of the achy variety or the WTF variety. Get used to making that decision, because you'll have to make it several times a year for the rest of time.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I agree completely with what Dave said. If you are experienceing pain it is for only one of three reasons: muscles and tendons not used to that amount of work, a medical condition like, say tendonitis, poor technique resulting in poor mechanics that put abnormal strain on those joints.
  • roduk
    roduk Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    im on a cut i weight train 80 % 1 rmax, i weight train 5 days a week on my rest days i do light cardio. 30- 45 minutes 135-150 bpm on the bike, i sometimes do cardio on same day as weight training. im still getting stronger, my bodyfat is getting less my weight hasnt changed much which is a good thing, i was about 17% body fat i reckon im now sub 13%. i may do cardio four to five days a week. most lifters say this probably too much, but my lifts are still increasing and im still achieving my goal of 10% body fat. ive only been lifting again since May which is why im probably seeing these results. ive added the cardio in recently and thats when i started to see body fat fall. same calorie deficit as when i wasnt doing cardio. this maybe that my body is burning more cals than ive calculated after ive done the exercise, or i just respond better when i limit cals and do cardio, i dunno.

overhead press is fairly unnatural movement for you which is probably why everything aches. the more you do it the less your tendons and ligs will hurt as they will become stronger and you'll find it becomes more about the muscle. Omega 3 for joints. get plenty of sleep and protein. get your split in order so muscles have time to recover. also look at secondary muscles as you may be overworking muscles without knowing it. ie on arms and shoulders day, you may have exhausted your biceps in chinups on your back day.