Eating 'too many' veggies?

Options
Seriously got a comment to day from someone that I am eating too many veggies :laugh:

I didn't realize there was such a thing, here I just figured I was doing my body a favor and getting some real, fresh, nutrient rich food.

Replies

• v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Well, I suppose one can eat too many veggies, but you would be eating all the time!

I like to eat the rainbow, and don't worry too much about what other people say about my food choices. You cannot pay attention to the haters that live to derail others.

Eat those veggies Ladybird_! I'll be joining you ...
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I am a full blooded, card carrying member of the carnivore club and I can't think of a single reason, way nor method that one could consume too many vegetables. I'm curious as to what this person thinks you should be eating in place of those veggies.

Save a carrot, eat beef.
  • ruthmiriam
    ruthmiriam Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'll be eating those veggies right along with both of you. That has been the secret of my success this far, eat an appropriate portion of protein and carbs, and then fill up on the veggies. It has worked great, and I don't feel deprived at all.
  • amrita0286
    Options
    tell them to put down their drumstick and join you :bigsmile:
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Was it someone who may be just a tad bit jealous?
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Hmm.. think they'd faint if they saw my diary then. I eat lots.
  • MissCierra2008
    Options
    LOL I always have a hard time eating the greens, or as I call it "Giraffe Food"... I am most definitely a meat eater so I dont have to worry too much about eating too many veggies- however I really dont think there is such thing.

I did the medifast diet for a while and really the only useful thing I remember is the part where they talked about veggies- there IS such thing as too much of the WRONG type of veggie.. I will post a link to that chart below.. The thing to watch out for is the amount of carbs that can be stored in the power foods.

http://www.medifastmedia.com/shared/docs/green_options_list.pdf
  • Aleluya17
    Aleluya17 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I am a full blooded, card carrying member of the carnivore club and I can't think of a single reason, way nor method that one could consume too many vegetables. I'm curious as to what this person thinks you should be eating in place of those veggies.

Save a carrot, eat beef.

Said perfectly
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    Wow, how much must you eat to have too much?
    My problem is i don't vary enough on a single day, but I can happily have 200g of raw greens at one sitting.
  • sisterphonetica
    sisterphonetica Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I eat too much fruit, but the only veg there can be too much of in my opinion is the delicious chip!
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and your veggie intake looks average. I eat way more veggies than that. :)
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I'll be eating those veggies right along with both of you. That has been the secret of my success this far, eat an appropriate portion of protein and carbs, and then fill up on the veggies. It has worked great, and I don't feel deprived at all.

Agree - you need to make sure you also eat an adequate amount of protein and fat, then it doesn't really matter (calories limits not withstanding) how many veggies you eat.
  • ladybird_
    ladybird_ Posts: 55 Member
    Options

Me too, I love beef, of course my favorite is steak on the grill... Too bad it is above my pay grade to eat steak at every meal! I eat eggs instead :-(
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    Crazy person. We are designed to eat fruit and vegetables. Seriously. The only other animals that don't produce vitamin C are frugivores. There is no such thing as too many vegetables. Unless they are okra. Those slimy little things can bog off.
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    The only sense I can make from the comment is that maybe you are not getting enough calories in your day? Or they were trying to suggest adding a bigger mix of protein and carbs in there??? Either way, we all know veggies are fantastic for us! Keep it up! Be sure to get a balance, eat your calories and good for you for clean eating! :)
  • flsl
    flsl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Im picturing you eating a sack-full of carrots everyday! That might be too many veggies.

Im a vegetable loving carnivore. I like days without meat because there are so many tasty veggies out there, esp when mixed with certain spices and sauces...

Before I came here, I was eating meat for my main meal everyday, and definitely was probably eating 'too little vegetables'. Now thats a problem!
  • DeTaart
    DeTaart Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    How many is too many?!
    The UK powers that be recommend we aim for 5 fruit and vegetable portions a day (a portion is a one medium apple, two spears of broccoli, eight cauliflower florets etc)

In Japan they recommend aiming for 13 portions of veg and 4 of fruit .

I get between 8 and 15 portions I think...pretty good going.

Five is definitely not enough but I think the government wanted to set a target that is achieveable for most people. What are the "targets" in the US/where you are?
  • lesliefb
    lesliefb Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I love veggies! I don't think there is a problem with too many, except for the fiber "issue".... lol... but that sorts itself out. As long as you're eating other things too (like lean proteins and healthy grains), there is no such thing as too many veggies.

I would love to have more MFP friends who like their veggies! I'm always looking for inspiration from other people's menus, and find the best ideas from folks who eat a nice variety of fruits and veggies.
  • ladybird_
    ladybird_ Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think they are just jealous that I tend to eat better then they do :tongue:

'Haters will hate' right and sometimes people just want to bring you down, there are a few veggies that you can have too many of... Beets... Asparagus... Broccoli... Carrots... But seriously even if you eat just those four items all day the worst case would be turning into an orange skinned, gassy/bloated person with red stinky pee... And I can tell you I don't get that many veg!

I also try balance it with EYCoconut Oils (I don't always remember to log the drizzle I use to cook with) eggs, chicken breast, etc.
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Speaking as a vegetarian of 32 years, I don't think I'd take any notice of 'Too many veggies'. I eat very little else!!!!!