1 hour milestone and running is a mental game

Options
i finally understand how running has become a mental game, 2 weeks ago i did my first 10k in 54min ( but struggled really hard to do it)

today i officially ran 1 whole hour without stopping and did 6.6miles, and i wasnt even tired after it.

Replies

• ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    That is so great - now, how did you win that mental game??? I totally agree that there's a huge "it's all in your head" piece to it
  • bigbrownkid
    Options
    i really think just u have to push yourself really hard to do it once, and once its done your mind realizes your body is capable of so much more.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    i really think just u have to push yourself really hard to do it once, and once its done your mind realizes your body is capable of so much more.
    I agree. I kinda "cheat" and do each new distance/time on the treadmill first. Then it seems really doable and I do it outside soon after.
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I look to the road ahead and pick out a landmark I can barely see and think to myself 'Just gotta run to there...' and before I'm there pick out the next one. Also I break my long runs into segments (5k, 1 Mile, etc.) and tell myself 'that is only 5280 feet to go' or 'only a 5k to go- you've run a 5k before, you can do one more...'

If I let my mind dictate what I'm doing or feeling, I find I get really fatigued and my legs stop working before my runs are over. Ran 33 Miles this weekend using this technique and it worked perfectly start to finish both days!

Actively think positive and you will get there- no matter what distance!
  • sdpursley
    Options
    i don't know about you, but when i'm doing my 10K or 8-10 mile runs outside, i defeat the mental fatigue one phone pole at a time. you can always make it one more pole. once you get past all phone poles, then you start defeated the intersections, then it's the mile markers. the trick is just to never quit!

Congrats on your hard work!

what is your eventual 10K time goal? i've been training about 6 months, but haven't yet been able to get below 52:00.
  • cupcakes_
    cupcakes_ Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I totally hear ya! When I run I zone out completely. When I feel like quitting, I ask myself do your legs hurt or I'll say I'll do five more minutes. I also didn't know what a fantastic stress reliever it would be.
  • bigbrownkid
    Options
    also good music always helps.

i dont really have a 10k goal just trying to do a 15k next month and hopefully a half in a few months
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    also good music always helps.

i dont really have a 10k goal just trying to do a 15k next month and hopefully a half in a few months
    I listen to mystery novels, or crime novels. That helps too.
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great ideas - I've been 'stuck' lately without much running progress so I took a few days off. I'm going back out today so I'll give these ideas a try. I really appreciate your thoughts :flowerforyou:
  • Devona14
    Devona14 Posts: 171
    Options
    Don't know why I hadn't ever thought of this.
  • tinyrah
    tinyrah Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    OMG I do the same thing. I am constantly saying see how you feel in 5 minutes, think about why I started running in the first place, try to zone out, etc. etc. I just finished c25k a few weeks ago and am working on endurance. I ran 40 minutes straight yesterday & i thought I'd die, LOL.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Don't know why I hadn't ever thought of this.
    :-)
    Been doing it for years. It really makes the time pass.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!