Skinny *****

Options
2»

Replies

• mdale2
    mdale2 Posts: 79
    Options
    I'm going to kindly remove myself from this discussion...carry on.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I have not read the book but what would be your reason for going vegetarian besides that fact that you read a book and it says that you should? It is hard for many vegetarians to eat enough protein so if you do decide to do this make sure you are getting enough protein. Maybe first you should try cutting out red meat, I don't eat red meat, mainly because I don't like it but I eat a lot of turkey and chicken and I think it really helps me with my energy levels cause I feel sluggish when I don't eat enough of it, or just not enough protein in general. You can still lose weight without going vegetarian :smile: Good luck, hope I helped!

~Leash :heart:

It's not difficult to obtain protein. There are beans, nuts, legumes, soy products (not faux meats)...ect. I easily meet my daily requirements with no problem. It takes a little bit of planning but not much.

How do you get your complete proteins? 9 of the 20 essential proteins can only come from animal products?
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    How I'm able to get all my nutrients....hope this helps everyone....

Amaranth (amaranth contains Lysine-which as you know most grains lack, 1/4 cup contains 60% of the RDA of iron, and has high quality protein)
    Millet (also a grain) has large quantaties of the B vitamins (most vegetarians need to take a supplement-I do as a precaution just in case), also has a pretty high iron and protein content.
    Quinoa- compleate amino acids, high lysine content, and is also rather high in protein (for a grain)
    Teff-Also contains all the amino acids, has high calcium, and other minerals.
    Tofu, Tempeh, soy milk, TVP/TSP, beans, other legumes/lentils, nuts, and seeds.

I've been a vegetarian my entire life and was a vegan for 3 years (gave that up when I was prenant). Grains are essential for vegetarians and vegans.
  • HealthyKt78
    Options
    Wow. Was not expecting this much discussion. Personally I think if you hated the book because of the way they talk you can't appreciate satire. It isn't meant to be nice. It's meant to be honest. I would love to go vegan but like I said it doesn't fit into my lifestyle right now. I've talked to my roommate about it. She was vegan for 2 years (vegetarian for 6) but she had to stop being vegan when she came to college because it was so expensive. She said she felt great when she was vegan. I've also researched it and I've only heard good things about the way it makes people feel. I understand that being vegetarian doesn't mean skinny. I'm not stupid. There is also no proof that we absolutely need meat. We don't. Especially with all the chemicals put into our meat these days. I did some research last night about the authors. One of them had a masters in nutrition. It isn't as if they don't know anything and just decided to write a book. And they do eat. They just follow the guidelines of their book. It IS possible to be vegan and get the nutrition you need. I'm not bashing meat eaters, I still eat meat for now. I'm just trying to say that you shouldn't bash vegans.

I personally do not believe that God put animals or the rest of the earth here for our disposal. And he definitely would not have wanted us treat animals the way we do. I understand the historical belief that our ancestors ate meat so we should to. However, our ancestors hunted and gathered for themselves. Animals were not farmed in unbearable conditions and then inhumanely slaughtered. Animals lived in the wild and at least had a chance at a normal life. These days they're breed into captivity, pumped with chemicals and then hung from a hook and slaughtered.

I'm sorry but most of the arguments the "meat eaters" gave I see no validity in. It is possible to get the nutrients you need, I don't believe god put animals here for us to slaughter and while our ancestors ate meat, they probably did so because in that environment it was what was necessary. We have much better resources now.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Wow. Was not expecting this much discussion. Personally I think if you hated the book because of the way they talk you can't appreciate satire. It isn't meant to be nice. It's meant to be honest. I would love to go vegan but like I said it doesn't fit into my lifestyle right now. I've talked to my roommate about it. She was vegan for 2 years (vegetarian for 6) but she had to stop being vegan when she came to college because it was so expensive. She said she felt great when she was vegan. I've also researched it and I've only heard good things about the way it makes people feel. I understand that being vegetarian doesn't mean skinny. I'm not stupid. There is also no proof that we absolutely need meat. We don't. Especially with all the chemicals put into our meat these days. I did some research last night about the authors. One of them had a masters in nutrition. It isn't as if they don't know anything and just decided to write a book. And they do eat. They just follow the guidelines of their book. It IS possible to be vegan and get the nutrition you need. I'm not bashing meat eaters, I still eat meat for now. I'm just trying to say that you shouldn't bash vegans.

I personally do not believe that God put animals or the rest of the earth here for our disposal. And he definitely would not have wanted us treat animals the way we do. I understand the historical belief that our ancestors ate meat so we should to. However, our ancestors hunted and gathered for themselves. Animals were not farmed in unbearable conditions and then inhumanely slaughtered. Animals lived in the wild and at least had a chance at a normal life. These days they're breed into captivity, pumped with chemicals and then hung from a hook and slaughtered.

I'm sorry but most of the arguments the "meat eaters" gave I see no validity in. It is possible to get the nutrients you need, I don't believe god put animals here for us to slaughter and while our ancestors ate meat, they probably did so because in that environment it was what was necessary. We have much better resources now.

Woot Woot! You said what I wanted to say but in a very nice dignified manner...hence the reason I didn't open my big mouth. I can very bluntly say though...I'm a vegetarian, Goth, and Christian. Those three don't usually go togeather, lol. :flowerforyou:
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I love Michael Pollan as well!

Again, like most people have stated - it's a personal choice.

I found (for me) if I don't eat meat twice a day, I feel letharigic and exhausted. Through experimentation, I cut out dairy and refined carbs. I eat meat, veggies, fruits and nuts and I feel great. I buy organic, grass fed, hormone free meat and eggs. No dairy or cheese - lactose intolerant. I'm also not comfortable with soy (estrogen, etc.)

Listen to your body - if you flourish on a vegan, vegetarian, ovtovarian, etc. etc. diet - then pursue that way of eating.

As for Skinny *******, not impressed with the presentation of their message (scare/bully tactics). Personally, I perfer science-based, research backed books that provide history on the topic and follow through with reasonable recommendations (like Pollan).

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy.

Speaking as an overweight vegetarian, it's entirely possible to be both.
    and
    Point 1: Vegetarians aren't necessarily slimmer. Point 2: Vegetarians aren't necessarily healthier Point 3: As pointed out in other vegetarian threads, the amount and type of protein a human being needs to be healthy is misquoted by the same people who created the original food requirement groups .... The agro-lobby. Point 4: The author's of Skinny B**** are vegans and are ardent proponents of veganism. They're getting their message out, but they are no threat to those who eat meat - it may not be for you, as it isn't for me - I eat eggs and dairy, although farm-raised, free range and organic. Point 5: We as a society seem to realizing the need to move away from factory farming - it's not good for the consumer, the people who work there, the source of the food (the animals) the ground water, the air - green house gasses (says the UN, not me)

Michael Pollan (a brilliant, non-partisan, non-vegan writer about food and culture) probably said it best:

Eat real food, mostly plants, not too much.

I think we can all agree with that.:wink:

(That's the first smiley I've ever used!)

PS: My Dad's in his nineties and has fasted every Thursday. Who knows??
  • HealthyKt78
    Options

As for Skinny *******, not impressed with the presentation of their message (scare/bully tactics). Personally, I perfer science-based, research backed books that provide history on the topic and follow through with reasonable recommendations (like Pollan).

I don't think they use scare or bully tactics at all. Its honest about what goes into our food. Its interesting and entertaining. I actually enjoy reading it and I'm learning. Their recommendations are reasonable. They constantly emphasize that they don't expect anyone to deprive themselves of any type of "treats" They just give alternate recipes for those treats. They have a whole recipe book and everything looks really good but I know that the ingredients are probably more expensive than what I can spend on food right now.
  • bosanka
    bosanka Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Read the book.. more than a year ago. Was not pleased with the " word choices.. pretty much was shocked about it. But what shocked me more- were the facts about the meat -industrie that i " assumed " i knew but didn't know that much.

No - I did not become a vegan. But i have never consumed meat often to begin with. I'm very picky - and i don't buy my meat everywhere- esp. not at " chain stores " ..
    Local- fresh- not frozen.. it's possible to find this type of meats but it does take some time and will to do it. Since i don't eat meat on a daily basis, i can buy it and freeze it- don't have to buy it every week.

Better book than the " skinny b.. would be the one from Jillian Michaels- Master your metabolism.
    Gives you all the scientific facts - without the poor choice of expression. It doesn't take away your right to choose, but it gives you enough facts to make you think twice about your choice.

Like I said- didn't become a vegan- but - i turned into an " organic- freak " never thought i would- because of the cost -effect.. being unemployed- one income- and 5 members in the household- never thought could afford it. But - started one thing at a time.. it works..and i'm glad i did it.

I don't believe in the theory that human should not eat animal-meat - because it's just not right or that the human don't have the right to take the " live " of another living being..
    But- if i had to choose between - no meat and the meat choices that USDA choice is providing us- i would go vegan.. just because of the " type " of meat we are getting served.
  • stella_star
    Options
    Its honest about what goes into our food.

This is the main thing I took issue with - no it wasn't lies but I can't call it anything like honest - their research was just far too selective! They convieniently ignored anything that went against their own personal view points and that is why I don't see the booka s being honest, or informative!
  • karleen
    karleen Posts: 260
    Options
    i was a vegetarian for 8 years and stopped when i was about 4 months pregnant and craved meat like no other. i actually broke down and ate steak tips on good friday of all days [im not religious, was raised catholic so i thought it a little funny]

anyways, i do credit being a vegetarian for so long keeping me atleast slimmer than the rest of my very obese family but it certainly didn't make me thin haha. pasta pasta pasta was a big thing i ate .

now that i eat meat id say the pounds melted off easier if anything than when i lost weight before getting pregnant
  • chulie
    chulie Posts: 282
    Options
    if we werent meant to eat it....why does it taste SO good! LMAO

(Just in case my comedy is lost on anyone....this is not something i am saying that needs to be clarified....I'm SIMPLY making a joke!!!)
  • CaitlinEats
    CaitlinEats Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hmm...I thought the book was hilarious! However, I am mostly vegan, although I let myself eat dairy when on vacation, at holidays, etc.

I understand why folks tend to think that vegans don't get enough protein, but I really think that belief comes from a lot of misinformation about what our bodies need and where protein comes from.

For anyone who is interested in veganism but isn't sure about the ability to get enough protein without "normal" foods, I recommend reading Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrman, which is full of really good information about high-nutrient diet. For example, 100 calories of spinach (or was it broccoli?) has more protein than 100 calories of meat--the difference being, of course, that you have to eat a lot more volume of spinach to get to 100 calories. If you have a small appetite and some sort of protein deficiency, that might be a problem, but for folks trying to lose weight (while still getting to eat real food), that's actually a blessing! I can eat several filling cups of spinach, get tons of protein and nutrients, and still not hit 100 calories? Brilliant!

Anyway, that's where I'm coming from, but I understand why the Standard American Diet is more appealing--it's pretty tasty, at least until you get used to eating more healthful foods. The book "Food Revolution" is also really good, but more focused on heart health and diabetes and even animal cruelty (wheras Eat to Live is more focused on weight loss and nutrition and isn't about animal cruelty at all).
  • mamacassi
    mamacassi Posts: 131
    Options
    I wouldn't really go vegetarian just to lose weight. I think once you pick up meat again you'll have to transition back which might result in gain if you don't do it well. It's a lifestyle choice. Hm...
    I'll pick it up and read it though
  • CaitlinEats
    CaitlinEats Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi mousme,
    I'm not sure if your post was in reply to my post, but I didn't become a vegetarian to lose weight. I've been a vegetarian for more than 20 years (and I was a lot skinnier back then than I am now!). I agree that it's much more effective (and long-lasting) to be a vegetarian for the right reasons. I do, however, think that folks who are looking for a good weight loss and health strategy should consider a vegan, high-nutrient, lowfat diet as the absolute healthiest around. I'd definitely choose "Eat to Live" over "Skinny *****," though.
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    The way I feel about is as follows: We were given free will! If you choose to eat meat thats your choice and no one should condemn you for that. If you choose to be vegetarian that is your choice and noone should condemn you for that. We can all discuss this till we are blue in the face however we are all human and we will never really know the answer to which way is right or wrong. Opinions come in all different varieties and just because I have an opinion that does not mean that anyone who disagrees with me is wrong. Some people might not like the book for no other reason than they don't like the book and again we are human we are all different and that is fine. The world would be very boring if we all agreed with everyone else and were all the same.
  • Caelynne
    Caelynne Posts: 4
    Options
    Totally! It did help in persuading me to give up most meat though (yes, I know I slip up). Dairy? Not a chance. I am addicted to it, and at least now I know why. But seriously... They really are total *****es!
  • xecila
    xecila Posts: 99
    Options
    I've been on both sides of the fence. When I was around 16 I became a vegitarian (vegetarian, not vegan.. I still ate dairy) but I had a huge issue with eating enough protein, not because it's particularly hard, but because I was under my mother's roof and she wasn't very flexible with the groceries. She'd buy what she thought we needed, ignoring the fact that I wasn't eating meat. Eventually I started feeling very tired all the time, broke out of my vegetarian diet (and got sick the first time I did it! Your body really gets used to having no meat). Now I'm at sort of a middle ground. I eat chicken and fish, but tend to avoid red meats. Not because I believe eating birds and fish is any more holy than eating cows, but more due to the health aspect of it.

Humans are omnivores. We eat meat, and we eat plants. I fully believe our bodies can survive off a mixed diet, or a meat free diet. There are plenty of places to find protein other than meat, you just have to do your research and buy the right things. It's not all chomping on celery sticks, trust me.

As for the whole god factor, I'm agnostic so I think I'll stay away from that one. All I'll say is that we definately have free will, we might as well exercise it.
  • bennettv
    bennettv Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    There are lots of options for ethically raised meat that is healthy. My suggestion is get to know a few farmers. You'll learn a lot about food that you won't find in any book. All our meat comes from a farm, that we visit, and I have no conflict whatsoever about the impact it has on the planet.

My son is allergic to soy and dairy. Meat is a required part of his diet, but no one in our family over does it.
  • arfletcher
    arfletcher Posts: 143
    Options
    The religion that I was raised in is mostly veg as a rule of thum - its not a neccesity or a "rule" of the religion though.

I have seen more fat vegetarians and vegans than I can even say. Not eating meat does not equal healthy - just like eating meat does not equal healthy. In order to be a healthy vegetarian/vegan you just have to do some reasearch - just like to be a healthy omnivore you need to do some research!

Just to add to the argument - Did you know that if every family in the States (or it might be North America) cut down their meat consumption by 1 meal a week, it would be the same as taking 100,000 cars off the road for a year! Also - if cows were farmed the way that they were supposed to be - in fields grazing instead of in barns suffering - then they actually cut not only their own carbon emissions - but also those of the environment around them - it has to do with their grazing increasing plant growth and their hooves actually breaking down waste so that there isnt the same carbon.

I have never been vegetarian - I dont know that I could do it - I just dont have the energy... and I LOVE steak!! It all comes down to your own personal choices... I would love to be able to only eat meat from the local butcher down the road from my house, I know that the meat that he sells is ethically treated and fed good feed - but unfourtunatly I am POOR! So I buy meat in the grocery store and try not to eat more than two meat meals a week. I eat local eggs when I can get them, again though - 6$ a doz for the local grain fed free range eggs - or 2.50 for the other... Sometimes I dont even get to make the choise - my wallet makes it for me! :laugh: There are so many other ways to get complete protiens - you may have to mix beans and rice and corn, or something of the like to get complete protiens... but it can be done!!