Female Heavy Lifters - How to lift heavy without injury?

Options
Hi all, this is kind of a continuation of my post yesterday. I noticed from the responses i got that some of the women i lifting hundreds of pounds. I thought i was lifting heavy doing 40 lbs for dead lifts. I want to know how much weight you heavy lifters do for deadlifts, Overhead press, lunges, etc...whatever you do. I find that when i up the weight to much for some moves my elbows hurt me for days. So how heavy do you lift and how do you prevent injury (i do warm up and stretch and have protein after)

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I am not a woman but I will chime in about the injury.

Start light, and work up to heavy weights (may take weeks or months).
    Make sure you have the proper form down pat before going heavy (may take weeks or months).
    Warm up some lighter sets for the exercise you are going to perform and if you like a few minutes on a cardio machine to get the muscles warmed. (It is best if you wait until you are finished your workout to do a lot of stretching)
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Heavy means something different for everyone, if 40lbs is heavy for you then lift it. And for your elbows, don't up the weight to much. Let's say you are doing over head press 3 sets 10 reps, on your last set if you aren't struggling to get to the tenth rep see if you can go 12, 15. If that's not much of a challenge then up the weight take it slow.
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I agree with erickirb.

Starting at 40lbs is good and work your way up from there. If your elbows hurt, it probably is a sign that your form is off. Research good form and make sure you have it down before upping your weights.

Also, check out the book New Rules of Lifting for Women. This is a great tool for getting started in lifting and lifting heavy. Oh and be patient... I started off doing push presses at 45 lbs and deadlifts at 50lbs now I'm up to 95 lbs for a push press and 165 lbs for my deadlift. It'll take time, but you'll get there!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy is about how many times you can lift the weight, not the weight written on it. You're aiming for for a weight that you can only just complete your designated reps with.

All of the online workouts and magazine adverts I've seen aimed at women tell them exactly what weight to use. This is both very confusing and very wrong.
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    All of the online workouts and magazine adverts I've seen aimed at women tell them exactly what weight to use. This is both very confusing and very wrong.

Agreed.

Which is why I would really recommend the NROLFW. It doesnt tell you what weights to use - just how to get the form down and then how to progress without hurting yourself. Great program for beginners (IMO).
  • Reneefit135
    Options
    I agree with erickirb.

Starting at 40lbs is good and work your way up from there. If your elbows hurt, it probably is a sign that your form is off. Research good form and make sure you have it down before upping your weights.

Also, check out the book New Rules of Lifting for Women. This is a great tool for getting started in lifting and lifting heavy. Oh and be patient... I started off doing push presses at 45 lbs and deadlifts at 50lbs now I'm up to 95 lbs for a push press and 165 lbs for my deadlift. It'll take time, but you'll get there!

Wow so impressive, thanks for the input. I look forward to being able to lift like that.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Yup, start light and if you feel any pain back off. The only time I experienced pain was in my shoulder during a Crossfit workout. I backed off and let it get better and suffered no injury. I got up to 250lb deadlifts at one point (my squats were less, I forget but around 130lb-140lb sounds right). I quit working out intensely over a year ago due to an unrelated tailbone injury but I hope to get back up there soon.
  • Reneefit135
    Options
    Thanks keep it coming!
  • Aleluya17
    Aleluya17 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Startingstrength.com
    ^.^

This is the program that I use. The 100% best way to not hurt yourself is make sure your form is correct. Some lifters use a belt to help reinforce their core and make their trunk more stable, but it is not necessary. I really really suggest finding someone that knows what they are doing to make sure you are doing the exercises correctly. If you are really interested in ln lifting, I suggest buying the starting strength book "Starting Strength Basic Barbell Training 3rd edition" (Written by Mark Rippetoe).

I do stretch before and after but I don't fuss with protein shakes because i'm not concerned with bulking at this point and time.
    I also recommend mobilitywod.com its a website of various stretches and movement. That site is n by a man with a PHD in physical therapy, he runs a crossfit gym and teaches the mobility certification for crossfit.

Today when I went to the gym I lifted:
    Squats
    80lb 3x5

Deadlifts
    90lb 1x5

Overhead press
    30lb 3x5

These numbers do not include my warm up sets or any sets I did backing off my work set. I've not been doing this for long but I've literally more then doubled the weight I could lift when I started. I lift three times a week, and each session i'm adding five pounds to my work set. When the weights start getting really heavy I might not be able to keep adding 5lb each time.

I lift with my husband so he can guide me on my form and the ends and outs of weight lifting. Feel free to add me if you need some extra support.
  • Aleluya17
    Options
    One last note: the best way to prevent injury? Knowledge.
  • brittanypeters1990
    brittanypeters1990 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mselpsycongroo
    Options
    For deadlifts for instance, start with just the bar (45lbs) and train from there. I also recommend reading up on Starting Strength (http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki), which has the basic instructions and how to get your form down.
    Also check out videos on youtube to proper form!
    Good luck and don't forget to warm up with a lower set!

My last week stats:
    Deadlift: 145x10
    150x7
    150x7
    150x8
    155x8
    Squat: 145x5
    145x5
    145x5
    BP:
    105x5
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Concentration
  • Aleluya17
    Options
    Sorry I keep adding more and more posts, but I keep thinking of more things :). I wouldn't say that the other programs listed by other members are bad by any means, but I know starting strength works, and they have SO much information for each exercise, and a very active community of members on there forums.
  • mselpsycongroo
    Options
    Sorry I keep adding more and more posts, but I keep thinking of more things :). I wouldn't say that the other programs listed by other members are bad by any means, but I know starting strength works, and they have SO much information for each exercise, and a very active community of members on there forums.
    I totally agree and also recommend starting strength, especially for women looking to get into heavy weight lifting! :)
  • mfkn_Titanium
    Options
    Startingstrength.com
    ^.^

This is the program that I use. The 100% best way to not hurt yourself is make sure your form is correct. Some lifters use a belt to help reinforce their core and make their trunk more stable, but it is not necessary. I really really suggest finding someone that knows what they are doing to make sure you are doing the exercises correctly. If you are really interested in ln lifting, I suggest buying the starting strength book "Starting Strength Basic Barbell Training 3rd edition" (Written by Mark Rippetoe).

I do stretch before and after but I don't fuss with protein shakes because i'm not concerned with bulking at this point and time.
    I also recommend mobilitywod.com its a website of various stretches and movement. That site is n by a man with a PHD in physical therapy, he runs a crossfit gym and teaches the mobility certification for crossfit.

Agree with the recommendation of this book. To go along with that - youtube Rippetoe's videos - he has plenty of them out there. You should consider hiring a trainer to get you introduced to proper form because sometimes videos and books don't really let you "feel" it.

Also - the idea that protein shakes help with bulking is nonsense. I'm not bulking and I include a protein shake in my daily eats. I do it to make sure I'm getting enough protein so that even though I'm eating in a deficit and lifting heavy, I can ensure that my lean mass isn't being catabolized due to not getting enough protein.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Don't go up too much at a time. Make your increments small. And after you go up, don't push it. It may be that you do fewer reps. Most importantly, watch your form. Your muscles should be a bit sore afterward. DOMS is normal. However, you should NOT be hurting joints or having severe or sharp pains. Look up vids on YouTube for your exercises. All else fails, shell out for a couple of sessions with a trainer. (Make sure s/he knows about weight lifting and make sure it's UNDERSTOOD that you're a heavy lifter and THAT is what you will be doing. Sometimes if you're female they have a harder time... :laugh: )
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i like strstd.com for a 5/3/1 program. you put in your numbers and it give you an estimated one rep max. it give you a program based off that.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Watch lots of videos. There are links in the Strong Lifts group, or google Ripptoe (sp?). Start light, concentrate on form. Maybe have someone video you while you do the lifts, post here, ask for help. OR better yet, find a friend (hire a trainer) who knows how to do the big lift and see if they can help you.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    'Heavy' is relative. Don't compare yourself to others in what you're lifting and focus on progressing against yourself.

Good form avoids injury. If you can't move it with good form, it's too heavy.