McDonald's is good for you.

Options

Replies

• feistyhorsegal
    feistyhorsegal Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say Maccas is "good for you" but I don't think it would hurt to include a cheeseburger in your diet a couple of times a week to bump up your protein. As others have said there is healthier options though. But I ate Maccas every now and then through my entire weight loss journey and I dropped 16kg in about 5 months. And someone said there was no meat in Burger King and McDonalds - in Australia the patties are 100% Aussie Beef, don't know about other countries.
  • healthybody74
    Options
    Oh and "100% Australian beef" doesn't mean it's 100% beef. It just means the beef they've used is Australian....not that the entire thing is made of 100% beef.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Calories: 284
    Protein: 15.1g
    Fat (total): 12.4g
    -Saturated: 6.0
    Carbs: 26.3
    Sugars: 4.5
    Sodium: 747mg

On the other hand, a burger made at home with a 3oz patty of 95/5 ground beef, one slice of cheese, a tablespoon of ketchup and a bun would be:

Calories: 361
    Protein: 30
    Fat: 13
    Carbs: 30
    Sodium: 625

Just ~80 calories more, with about the same amount of carbs, and fat, but twice the protein and lower sodium.
  • Sahara0815
    Options
    I think eating anything is possible, the key to doing it successfully is to planning to fit it in to your overall eating plan. You definitely have to watch sodium when eating most fast food, though. Good luck!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Honestly, McDonald's cheeseburgers are higher in saturated fats (something that you want to avoid), but they are a good source of protein. If you have managed your fats well throughout the day (making certain to have eaten some unsaturated fats), then you probably could eat one every day. Like someone else said though, the fries are probably the worst because they are highest in saturated fats and sodium.
  • _LilPowerHouse
    _LilPowerHouse Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Its all relative to how you want to loose weight. If you're all into processed foods and really don't care about your general health during your weight loss, then I say Have at it..

If you want to loose weight in a healthy way then stay away from it..
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
  • txlissa62
    txlissa62 Posts: 128
    Options
    If you're looking for ways to increase your protein, there are much better ways to do it. For instance, you could have an eight-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breast for around 220 calories, and it would give you 46 grams of protein. That's a lot more food for less calories and three times the protein of the cheeseburger.

Fish is also an excellent source of protein, as is quinoa.

Not to mention all of the sodium in Mcdonald's food as well. Personally, I would save it for a treat now and then rather than make it a regular part of your diet.
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Just like anything else, if you can eat it in moderation and fit it into your calories for the day, it's fine. It's not going to kill you once in awhile. Will it fill you up? Probably not. Is there a bunch of nasty stuff in there? Oh, yes. But does it satisfy your craving? if so, then once in awhile is fine.

I will mention that when you're trashed or hungover, there is nothing like a double cheeseburger with fries.

Or better yet, Taco Bell.

I know, I know. But it's true.

Not that I've done that in years, but I have done that. Late night drive throughs when you're smashed will save you from a huge hangover the next day!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Its all relative to how you want to loose weight. If you're all into processed foods and really don't care about your general health during your weight loss, then I say Have at it..

If you want to loose weight in a healthy way then stay away from it..

I really think that it isn't fair to say that someone doesn't care about their health if they want a McDonald's cheeseburger. Seriously... orthorexia is an eating disorder. Food is not evil. It is how you manage your eating habits that leads to poor health.
  • sathor
    sathor Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    The problem with it is that it is so processed and full of preservatives that you could leave it on your counter for a year and it would still look the same...

NO NO NO. that is not the reason, the reason is surface area and moisture content, not dissimilar to beef jerky. (which was not cooked in the first place) If you made a burger at home the same size as a McDonalds burger, and left it sit out, the same thing would happen to it. Not that I've been able to make one that flat, but if you did...
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Super processed food, such as mcdonalds, is bad for you.. your body cannot use this as fuel, it will just slow you down.

You shouldn't be allowed to post in these forums anymore. Just because of this ridiculous statement.
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    SMDH! *sigh*
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    ♪♪ Big Mac, fillet-o-fish..Quarter Pounder.. French fries...Icy-cold THICK SHAKE....sundae and apple pie!!!! ♪♪
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    This post is like a big net designed to trap orthorexics.

LOL

Hmm, I'm not sure avoiding McD because you think it unhealthy would qualify.

Choosing to avoid McD because you think it is unhealthy doesn't qualify.

Condemning the organization and its customers and spreading sensationalistic rumors on the internet... possibly.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I could eat three Double-Quarter Pounders with Cheese each day, three glasses of milk, take a GMP certified multivitamin, and reach all of my body composition goals while receiving more essential micronutrients than 99% of the world's population. My blood pressure wouldn't budge off its mark of 110/65 and my HDL would likely rise.

Serving size aside, the same would be true for the overwhelming majority of people.

There is no such thing as a bad cheeseburger.
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    so I shouldn't eat my Egg McMuffin's.....Oatmeal, Big Mac's, Fries.....man, take all the fun out of living why don't you. Yes it's fast food....just deal with it, account for it in your plan and enjoy. When I want a burger...i want a freakin' burger, not a trip to the farmer's market for granola.
  • harleigh67
    harleigh67 Posts: 131
    Options
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    so I shouldn't eat my Egg McMuffin's.....Oatmeal, Big Mac's, Fries.....man, take all the fun out of living why don't you. Yes it's fast food....just deal with it, account for it in your plan and enjoy. When I want a burger...i want a freakin' burger, not a trip to the farmer's market for granola.

Egg McMuffin and Oatmeal from McD are actually two of the healthier fast food options available, though why anyone would pay that much for the same instant oatmeal you can nuke at home in a fraction of the time you can go to McD to buy it is a mystery to me. But then why anyone would think of McD when in the mood for a burger is also a mystery to me.
  • skinimin
    skinimin Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Hahaha the topic title was to get people's attention, it wasn't the topic.

Anyway I could certainly lose weight from eating the burger as long as it met my calorie intake, but as I mentioned several times it's actually more about body composition.

I don't suppose it matters so much that I weigh 119lbs and that a cheeseburger can actually fit all 4 of my fingers?

Definitely some interesting and some cliche responses in here though, agreed on the chicken but to be honest that is a lot of food for me to fit into my tiny tummy and it doesn't make me feel good :(

None the less the responses are appreciated and it's great to get some varying opinions. Anyone interested in macros/nutritional value of foods and it's effects on body composition add me as it's always great to have discussions with other people who have done the reading :)