Eggs yolk, not so good after all ?

Options
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0021915012005047
Our findings suggest that regular consumption of egg yolk should be avoided by persons at risk of cardiovascular disease. This hypothesis should be tested in a prospective study with more detailed information about diet, and other possible confounders such as exercise and waist circumference.

Replies

• TheDeviation
    Options
    Give it a year or so. There will be study out confirming that egg yolks are the best thing to eat. Seems to be the way it goes anyhow. ;)

Average age of first visit: 62. Average BMI: 27%. Average BP: 140/83 These folks weren't exactly healthy to start with.

As for me, I'll keep eating my yolks and exercising.
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options

pretty much
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    avoided by persons at risk of cardiovascular disease.

Key words there. A healthy individual, who does not have a pre-existing condition, should not have issues.

"Lift heavy! Run Hard!" =D
    www.facebook.com/jenaesmithfitness
  • eden2760
    eden2760 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Give these people a week.... water will have negative health affects soon.

There's a LOT that has negative affects on your body in addition to good affects on your body, and I would WAGER that "science" hasn't even scratched the surface on documenting and discovering all of this.

Bottom line: all things in moderation, add in regular exercise/taking care of your body, and you're golden. This type of report, whether accurate or not, doesn't bother me, becuase I'm going to continue to eat eggs, eat saturated fats, etc. (again in moderation and consistency with my goals). As a result I'll probably outlive most of the people here who make these "discoveries" and decide to eat rice cakes and water until they're 60 and then keel over.

I think that's pretty much it.
  • asticoral
    Options
    Its not the yolk, its the Cholesterol in commercially produced eggs that was an issue for the long-term whinging over eggs.
    http://www.incredibleegg.org/health-and-nutrition/cracking-the-cholesterol-myth

50 - 60% of the daily allowance is high so go Free-Range / farmers market where the chickens aren't stapled inside a 1 foot cage

And, other factors also play into it, genetics and general life style
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I always tend not to rush on latest discoveries, let's just hope yolkophobes won't have even more reason to explain how eggs are bad.
    The only thing we can keep working on is make sure you get eggs from "reliable" sources.
  • PercivalHackworth
    Options
    Its not the yolk, its the Cholesterol in commercially produced eggs that was an issue for the long-term whinging over eggs.
    http://www.incredibleegg.org/health-and-nutrition/cracking-the-cholesterol-myth

50 - 60% of the daily allowance is high so go Free-Range / farmers market where the chickens aren't stapled inside a 1 foot cage

And, other factors also play into it, genetics and general life style

Can't agree more asticoral
  • eden2760
    eden2760 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    All I gotta say is....

...BRING ON THE OSTIRICH EGGS, SCIENCE!
  • Ironphoenix
    Options
    I'm sorry but eggs are the best superfood in my view, one test on older people isn't going to change my view on it. There was a study that proved that it didn't raise LDL cholesterol also. The health benefits of eating eggs far out weights any negative effects for me. Look at the foods that some people eat, cheeseburgers, fries, deep fried everything's, those foods are going to do more harm to them than an egg yolk.

Interesting research thou but I always thinks its a damn shame when a healthy food is given a bad name when it could be doing so much good!
  • PercivalHackworth
    Options
    I'm sorry but eggs are the best superfood in my view, one test on older people isn't going to change my view on it. There was a study that proved that it didn't raise LDL cholesterol also. The health benefits of eating eggs far out weights any negative effects for me. Look at the foods that some people eat, cheeseburgers, fries, deep fried everything's, those foods are going to do more harm to them than an egg yolk.

Interesting research thou but I always thinks its a damn shame when a healthy food is given a bad name when it could be doing so much good!

I totally agree, I wrote a post about that a couple of times ago
    http://goo.gl/p2P4f
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options

Average age of first visit: 62. Average BMI: 27%. Average BP: 140/83 These folks weren't exactly healthy to start with.

QFT
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options

If eggs are in the superfood status, then liver must be God-food status! Just as jam packed with cholesterol and even more vitamin and mineral dense, but it has incredible macros...they are like if eggs had like half the fat and twice the protein
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Give it a year or so. There will be study out confirming that egg yolks are the best thing to eat. Seems to be the way it goes anyhow. ;)

^^ This.
  • Ironphoenix
    Options

Only problem is I don't like liver! Lol

If eggs are in the superfood status, then liver must be God-food status! Just as jam packed with cholesterol and even more vitamin and mineral dense, but it has incredible macros...they are like if eggs had like half the fat and twice the protein

That's why I love you, my own mad scientist fascinates me :) as do you Percival. Nice work lads x
  • jecka93
    jecka93 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Nothings good for you nowadays! Does my bloody head in!
    I love my eggs...the whites and yolk! ^_^
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    This hypothesis should be tested

we'll add it to the lipid hypothesis then. Tell us when one or the other is demonstrated to be correct.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I remember seeing something in the Sun newspaper this week or last week I think. I showed a small list of foods and drinks that were originally bad for you like in the 90's, then it was good for you, now it's bad for you. These foods include:

Eggs
    Dark Chocolate
    I think Coffee was on there
    Potatoes

Some other foods were on there. With Eggs it was to do with the cholesterol found in the egg yolks. The Dark Chocolate was to do the antioxidants, and saying it would increase the risk of cancer, then it said it actually lowers the risk of cancer and now I can't remember what it said.

If I die due to high cholesterol, cancer or any of illness, disease, etc. then so be it, I'm not going to give up my eggs, dark chocolate or potatoes lol.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Meh, they'll change their minds soon.