Strength training.

Options
Beleg
Beleg Posts: 227 Member
I am a 38yr old Male 6ft 1in and weigh 314 as of today. I have never lifted weights seriously in my life. I have always done cardio and strength exercise that uses my own body as resistance. I have had numerous ppl tell me that I need to lift weights and it will help with my overall weigh loss. Problem is I don't know where to begin and I don't want to pay a personal trainer at my local gym ( I really can't afford it). Would love to get some advice from my friends from MFP on where i should start and what I should be doing. I don't want to bulk up like a body builder but I would like to have good muscle definition.

Replies

• peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, you won't bulk up like a body builder unless you specifically train that way. To get that kind of mass takes serious dedication and downright obscene nutrition.

I'd recommend finding a friend, short of hiring a trainer (which you said you didn't want to do.)

Also, google is your friend.
  • Aleluya17
    Aleluya17 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Startingstrength.com is your real friend, I promise.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Whats wrong with bodyweight exercises?
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Startingstrength.com is your real friend, I promise.

yes
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I don't want to bulk up like a body builder.
    You don't get that way by accident. How exactly do you think muscle hypertrophy works?? You do a bench press and the next day you've gained 100lbs of mass?
  • Beleg
    Beleg Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I don't want to bulk up like a body builder.
    You don't get that way by accident. How exactly do you think muscle hypertrophy works?? You do a bench press and the next day you've gained 100lbs of mass?

Yes I am perfectly aware that you don't gain that kind of muscle mass over night. I was just stating that I don't want to strength train to be a body builder I just want to do it for strength and fitness.