How do I lower my Carb intake?

Options
I am doing quite well at my new healthier eating, I won't say diet because it's not really, and have lost a few pounds so far.

What i'm struggling with is the carbs, I always seem to be quite near or over the target.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can lower my intake without cutting them out altogether?

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It would be easier to give advice if we could see what you are eating - can you set your diary to "public"?

I'm going to guess that you have cereal or toast for breakfast - switch that to eggs or cottage cheese.

Is your lunch sandwich based? make that a soup or salad instead.

Dinner contain lots of pasta, rice or potatoes? Halve the amounts of them and replace with extra veggies.

Sugary snacks or crisps? Go for lower carb fruits sucha s berries, or sticks of cheese.

How'd I do? :wink:
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    ^ everything she said. My (net) carb intake is less than 100g/day. If you can find Smart & Delicious products, they are very low carb/high fiber. They make flatbreads (great for pizza) and tortillas. I missed pasta something fierce when I started low-carbing, but eventually lost my craving for it. I also don't eat much bread, and if I do, it's whole grain. Feel free to friend me and look at my diary...I'm a vegetarian btw. :happy:
  • ForeverIrish
    ForeverIrish Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I could use some advice on this too!
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I'm a lifelong carb o holic. I have drastically reduced the amount of bread I eat. I used to almost insist on a pasta, potato, or rice with every meal. Now, I make a large piece of lean meat my meal centerpiece. My lunch is typically a pretty low carb salad with six ounces of chicken breast. And I have cut down on the amount of high carb fruit I eat, substituting berries for pineapple, etc.

But I gotta admit, I still love carbs. They're friggin' delicious. So I try to make sure that most of them are the healthier variety. Hopefully the ones I eat have a lower GI index and some fiber.

How is your "sugar" intake? I'm much more concerned with added sugars than carbs.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I am doing quite well at my new healthier eating, I won't say diet because it's not really, and have lost a few pounds so far.

What i'm struggling with is the carbs, I always seem to be quite near or over the target.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can lower my intake without cutting them out altogether?

lower carb berries vs apples or bananas
    high fiber/lower carb tortillas instead of bread
    cauliflower or broccoli vs carrots or corn
    splenda or stevia instead of sugar
    eggs and bacon instead of cereal for breakfast
    salads instead of sandwiches for lunch

feel free to check out my diary. Most days I am around 100-120g of carbs instead of the 200g + that many people eat.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    keep your portions smaller. 4 oz potatoes, 1 oz of pasta, 1/2 cup of rice and low calorie-carb breads. Add more veggies to make up for less food.
  • Camberwickhjg
    Options
    I have set my diary to public.

I normaly have salad or a wrap for lunch when i'm at work now and I hardly eat potatos now.

Rice is difficult for me to cut out because I got accustomed to eating it whilst living in S. Korea and Africa for many years, though I have reduced it a bit.

Any tips for a low carb quick breakfast as I already get up at 5:30am to get ready for work and I don't think I could face any earlier :-)
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    My carb limit is 50g a day and has been for about 6 months now (it was 30g for a while).

I don't eat grains (bread, pasta, rice, potato, etc) or legumes and avoid processed food. Not just on weight loss grounds, I don't think they provide the best nutrient sources for me.

I know the idea that 'healthy whole grains' is prevalent but I am over that.

Meat, eggs, fish, veggies (leafy greens especially), nuts and some cheese powers my day.

For a low carb breakfast in a hurry I would prepare something in advance ... tuna salad, leftover steak, hard-boiled eggs, etc.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    I focus more on getting 100 to 125g of protein, and let the rest fall into place within my calorie range. That should bring your carbs down a bit. MFP has the protein set way too low IMO
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Right, I've reviewed your diary for the past few days, and looked at the biggest carb things each day.

Here's your main culprits:

Cans of coke and lemonade at 30-53 carbs each.
    Cranberry juice 30 g
    2 tbsps honey 35 (that's a lot of honey!)
    Muffin each day for breakfast (30g)
    2 sachets mocha (24)

And in one meal you had a sandwich (47g), a slice of cake (35g) AND a lemonade (34g)

The first thing I'd focus on is those fizzy drinks. They have no redeeming nutritional qualities whatsover, and are the biggest single componenet in your carb intake. You'd be doing yourself a real favour if you didnt have one every day.

Then I'd work on building a better breakfast - the muffins, 2slices toast, and honey can all be reduced or replaced with something better. And lose the cranberry juice.

If you do all that you can keep eating your dinner time rice, and the odd sachet of mocha, but only one at a time!

This is just my thoughts, hope you find one or 2 suggestions useful. And best of luck with your new lifestyle eating plan :flowerforyou:
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Focus on reducing or eliminating the sweetened drinks and processed snacks. You could drop 50-75g carb easily just by doing this.
  • JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bumping for responses. Thanks for posting this topic!
  • maspicantexfa
    maspicantexfa Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I find that whatever I eat for breakfast sets the tone for what I want to eat during the day. So I make sure that my breakfast is not high in carbs. On days that I work, I grab an egg/sausage/cheese biscuit out of the cooler at the convenience store, toss the biscuit, and heat up the egg, sausage, and cheese. By the time lunchtime rolls around, I'm thinking more "protein" than "carbs."

I've also kicked the Monster habit ... was drinking the Lo-Carb but it's still 6g per can .. went to the Zero which has 2 from erythritol per can ... however it didn't taste as good and the caffeine was making me feel weird, so it's usually just water for me or sometimes the sugar free Crystal Light lemonade.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Animals are delicious and generally carb free. Eat some of them.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Right, I've reviewed your diary for the past few days, and looked at the biggest carb things each day.

Here's your main culprits:

Cans of coke and lemonade at 30-53 carbs each.
    Cranberry juice 30 g
    2 tbsps honey 35 (that's a lot of honey!)
    Muffin each day for breakfast (30g)
    2 sachets mocha (24)

And in one meal you had a sandwich (47g), a slice of cake (35g) AND a lemonade (34g)

The first thing I'd focus on is those fizzy drinks. They have no redeeming nutritional qualities whatsover, and are the biggest single componenet in your carb intake. You'd be doing yourself a real favour if you didnt have one every day.

Then I'd work on building a better breakfast - the muffins, 2slices toast, and honey can all be reduced or replaced with something better. And lose the cranberry juice.

If you do all that you can keep eating your dinner time rice, and the odd sachet of mocha, but only one at a time!

This is just my thoughts, hope you find one or 2 suggestions useful. And best of luck with your new lifestyle eating plan :flowerforyou:

This is right on.

Fyi, everything sugar is carb. Cut out all of those sugary drinks, and yes even the fruit juices and diet sodas/drinks. If you have more than your body can handle they process as fat. I'm a prime example. I quit drinking diet stuff and lost 5 pounds in the first week and 5 within the next 2 weeks. If you are craving fuzzy stuff, get the plain and flavored seltzers. Be careful. They also make clear seltzers that are artificially sweetened.

All grain products are carbs and don't listen to the current advertising. Processed grains are not great and just because the box now says "whole grain" doesn't mean the manufacturers did anything new to their product. In order to get true whole grain, you need to step away from mainstream foods. Look instead for whole oats, flax etc.

Veggies, especially fresh raw and fresh frozen have carbs that contain great fiber. Avoid the sweet vegetables - corn, peas, carrots, except rarely. Eat more salads and add fish and white meat chicken to your meals to fill you up and give you more protein for muscle building.

Be a label reader - nope not the advertising. Turn the package over and read the ingredients! The first item on the list of ingredients is what makes up the largest part of the product. If it says sugar near the top, put it down and choose something better! If you see glucose, or fructose or corn syrup, those are just spin doctor words for sugar! If you see maltitol or other "itols" those are fake sugars and technically don't have carbs but all sugars have carbs so, avoid these.

Make your meals out of whole foods, and in general stop using processed foods as much

I've low-carbed for many years. If you want to compare notes, feel free to add me. My diary is public.
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    One of the best pieces of advice I ever got I read in a health book. Make sure that half of your plate is green and everything else falls in place. If half of your plate is full of veggies or salad there just isn't room for too many carbs.

And now for the boring stuff.

No White Bread....In fact I have cut all bread out of 95% of my diet.
    No White Sugar
    No White Flour, read above.
    No Cereal. Unless its Skinny B, Holy Crap, Or simple Oats (steel Cut, minute, quick, traditional) or any other bland whole grain cereal)
    Think Veg/protein more often
    Eat Vegetarian more, don"t have to become vegetarian, just helps move you towards a more vegetable based diet.
    Cut out as much ready to go/processed food as possible.

And the big one, workout more. My biggest motivator for working out is I love to eat and my day sucks when I don't get a chance to workout because my allowance for the day is soooooo small. The more I workout the more liberal I can make my menu.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I find the only way to cut carbs is to increase protein.
    So things like boiled egg, greek yogurt, cheese, chicken breast, lean beef, fish, Power Crunch bars, whey protein, etc..
    Eat more of these things, with some fiber foods like broccoli and other veggies, to feel more full as well as satisfied and nourished!
  • Camberwickhjg
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice, i'll def try and put some of it into practice. (Once i've emptied my cupboards :-))

Just got weighed and i've lost another 2 pounds this week :-)

On a semi-related note. How do I get my ticker to show up on my posts?