TDEE and exercise

Options
2»

Replies

• MissKTMc
    MissKTMc Posts: 49
    Options
    Ok this is what I actually do for a living (I'm an exercise physiologist). Do not use TDEE, it is sooo inaccurate!! Review what you have eaten for a week, if you haven't lost any weight then reduce your net calories by up to 500kcal. Remember that you don't have to starve yourself to reduce your net, you can exercise it off too. Also remember that it takes 9kcal at moderate intensity >65%HR to burn just 1g of fat!!! Dieting alone will not allow you to lose fat mass!!!

That is BS, dieting alone will reduce fat mass.

But with diet alone you will also lose lean body mass, which is why you should strength training while in a deficit. Exercise (cardio) only leads to a larger deficit, it is the deficit that causes the weight loss, strength training will help ensure that most of the loss is fat, instead of fat and muscle.

Don't you dare accuse me of BS!! Come back to me when you have an honours degree, a current PhD project on this exact topic and are employed as an exercise physiologist!! It's people like you that make my job so much harder!

If dieting alone doesn't allow you to lose fat mass, then how come MFP is set up to lose weight on diet alone? Albeit, it won't be only fat as erickib pointed out, but you will lose fat.

Lets see you explain that one.

You will lose fat mass but your body fat % (which is what really matters) as in your fat:fatfree mass ratio will remain the same (give or take approximately 5%). To summarise, you will get smaller and weigh less but you will be "skinny fat"
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Ok this is what I actually do for a living (I'm an exercise physiologist). Do not use TDEE, it is sooo inaccurate!! Review what you have eaten for a week, if you haven't lost any weight then reduce your net calories by up to 500kcal. Remember that you don't have to starve yourself to reduce your net, you can exercise it off too. Also remember that it takes 9kcal at moderate intensity >65%HR to burn just 1g of fat!!! Dieting alone will not allow you to lose fat mass!!!

But with diet alone you will also lose lean body mass, which is why you should strength training while in a deficit. Exercise (cardio) only leads to a larger deficit, it is the deficit that causes the weight loss, strength training will help ensure that most of the loss is fat, instead of fat and muscle.

seconded. No PHD though.
  • MissKTMc
    MissKTMc Posts: 49
    Options

Don't you dare accuse me of BS!! Come back to me when you have an honours degree, a current PhD project on this exact topic and are employed as an exercise physiologist!! It's people like you that make my job so much harder!

You need to learn to speak carefully. What you said is not true. Expressing your opinion is one thing, but posting a fly-by-one-size-fits-all statement like the one you posted is irresponsible for a professional.

http://books.google.ie/books/about/Exercise_Physiology.html?id=SRptlOx7yj4C&redir_esc=y

Chapter on energy expenditure and energy balance backs up everything I said! Reducing net energy by up to 500kcal is not a "fly-by-one-size-fits-all statement, it is in fact individualised as it is based on a dietary history and individual habitual energy intake. It's also scientifically proven, all references to journal articles can be found at the end of the chapter in the book! Stop hating now?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

If dieting alone doesn't allow you to lose fat mass, then how come MFP is set up to lose weight on diet alone? Albeit, it won't be only fat as erickib pointed out, but you will lose fat.

You will lose fat mass but your body fat % (which is what really matters) as in your fat:fatfree mass ratio will remain the same (give or take approximately 5%). To summarise, you will get smaller and weigh less but you will be "skinny fat"

But you are still losing fat... Which you said can't be done by diet alone.. and apparently it can, as you stated above. It's may not body fat.. but you are losing some type of fat... no?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

I am sorry but thousands of people lose fat and weight with no exercise, just on diet alone. Now if you want to be technical than you can say those people are not lying in bed all day, they are moving and that is exercise. If that is your angle I partly believe, as others that are bed ridden lose weight (fat and muscle) in a caloric deficit.

I am all for exercise, but you thesis is flawed in that exercise is needed to lose fat.

And not everyone with masters degrees and PHD's are always correct
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,987 Member
    Options

seconded. No PHD though.

PhD PROJECT.....she's hoping to someday have a PhD. I hope she makes it :laugh:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

But but but, you just said you cannot lose fat, now you are saying you can but the rate at which you lose fat is the same as the rate that you lose fat free mass. This may be true when you don't have much to lose, but those that are obese will def. lose more fat than fat free mass, even on diet alone (that may be covered in your 5% statement).
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

I am sorry but thousands of people lose fat and weight with no exercise, just on diet alone. Now if you want to be technical than you can say those people are not lying in bed all day, they are moving and that is exercise. If that is your angle I partly believe, as others that are bed ridden lose weight (fat and muscle) in a caloric deficit.

And not everyone with masters degrees and PHD's are always correct

I always distrust authority. Especially those that demand it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,987 Member
    Options

You need to learn to speak carefully. What you said is not true. Expressing your opinion is one thing, but posting a fly-by-one-size-fits-all statement like the one you posted is irresponsible for a professional.

http://books.google.ie/books/about/Exercise_Physiology.html?id=SRptlOx7yj4C&redir_esc=y

Chapter on energy expenditure and energy balance backs up everything I said! Reducing net energy by up to 500kcal is not a "fly-by-one-size-fits-all statement, it is in fact individualised as it is based on a dietary history and individual habitual energy intake. It's also scientifically proven, all references to journal articles can be found at the end of the chapter in the book! Stop hating now?

You're making this too easy.

I wouldn't waste time hating you. I don't even know you. Try a more adult argument.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

That might be true for those only losing 20-25 lbs, but for those losing a significant amount of weight their BF% is going to drop too, even if they do no exercise whatsoever.
  • Hssh1988
    Hssh1988 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Skinny fat? Is that the technical term?