Not sure what my activity level should be.

Options
I'd appreciate any help! Here's my deal:

I bike to and from work most days--it's about 3.2 miles each way, up and down significant hills. I also run/elliptical/some other kind of cardio a few times a week as a *workout*--aka wearing workout clothes.

I work in a lab setting--sometimes I'm sitting at my office waiting for experiments to run, other times I'm up and around in the lab like a mad scientist....

What do you guys think my activity level should be? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    lightly active.
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Would you say lightly active and then log the bike as exercise? Or lightly active and not log the biking?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    lightly active, but log the cycling.
  • TheChangingMan
    TheChangingMan Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I would say lightly active and log your extra cardio work on top. If the weight's not coming off - or is coming off too quickly - then adjust after 3 -4 weeks.
  • aliric
    aliric Posts: 69
    Options
    ^^ this ^^
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I would consider going into the custom settings and setting your calorie intake between sedentary and lightly active - then log all exercise.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    If those days when you move a lot in the lab are majority: lightly active, if not, sedentary
    log bike and elliptical, and eat back 70% (just in case if you overestimate)
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    yup lightly active and log the cycling :)
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would pick sedentary and then log the biking to/from work and eat back those cals. If you find you need a bit more calories because you're loosing too fast, you can always change to lightly active later.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you bike everyday and are up and down at work I would log as active, and don't log the bike ride, just the additional exercise.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I'd say your TDEE is around 2200/ 2300 calories
    (AL : 1,45/ 1,5)
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I set my settings as sedentary, and then log all significant exercise. That way I dont need to worry about what does and does not get logged.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    if the biking is an everyday part of your routine then do lightly active and dont log it. But you could do sedentary lifestyle and log the excersise. Whichever youd prefer.

I sort of have a similar situation... I work a "desk job" but it involves alot of walking everyday (huge building), lifting and carrying and moving boxes, etc. I set my profile as lightly active and ONLY log additional excersises I do at the gym and things like walking my dog.
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! I might do the sedentary thing....I bike every day except for when it's raining. I was previously set at lightly active from before I started this job--I walked to and from work each day but it was only a half a mile each way and no hills. I seemed to lose weight at a decent rate--only ate back half of my exercise cals...We will see how this goes!
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Here is a sheet I made, try to play with the settings and let us know :
    http://interzone.kicks-*kitten*.net/Calculating_calories.xls