I Got Told Gym Won't Help Me Lose Weight

Options
2»

Replies

• YoungJr42
    YoungJr42 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure somebody else has said the same thing, but whoever this trainer is probably needs to lose his job. YES, weight training should probably be added to, if it's not already in, your routine, b/c it'll help burn more fat. But it's not the ONLY way you'll lose the weight. I don't know much about Weight Watcher's, but I'm pretty sure you're taking in too many calories if you're not losing any weight. Calories in vs. calories out is one of those things that it's almost IMPOSSIBLE to go against, except for some other type of medical problem a person may have. So, keep up your cardio, consider adding weights, and use MFP.com to count your calories and lose your weight!!!!!!!! Good luck!
  • minnesota
    minnesota Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Keep your head up and mix up your cardio. Good Luck
  • meferretti
    meferretti Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    As a manager of a gym and a trainer for 11 years I am telling you that what the trainer told you is false. If you consume less calories than you take in you are going to lose weight. Be sure to eat enough as if you eat too little your body will go into starvation mode and hold onto everything it can especially fat. You need to do lots of cardio as this will help you lose fat but you should also do resistance training to build lean muscle mass too especailly if you are eating to lose weight. If you don't then you will lose muscle which will weaken your joints and slow your metabolism down slowing the rate at which you burn fat. The more lean muscle mass you have on your body, the faster your metabolism will be and the faster your body will burn fat.
    I hope this helps. Keep up the workouts and good luck. You can do it.
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    building muscle does help burn fat, cardio helps a lot with indurance it's a good idea to mix both into your work out. Weight training may cause you to be a bit more sore, but it will get easier and if you stretch properly it shouldn't hurt.
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    The "trainer" is full of it.

It IS calories in, calories out. (Although weights are great for you, and muscle mass at rest burns slightly more than other body mass at rest. )

Weight loss happens in the eating. If you're at a calorie deficit (even if you're not exercising at all) you'll lose.

Frankly, shame on that dude.

Hell ya! That's right, I started out by just not eating fast food and walking more, 3-4 times a week for bout 45miin! I lost weight. Give yourself time. It sometimes takes my body a week or more to show results of extra exercise or bad eating choices. It's not instant. As long as you eat your cals and exercise cals you should be fine. Keep hope, and give dude a diry look from me next time ya see him! :grumble:

:flowerforyou:
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    So you think I should still stick at it and I will lose? Because my scales say I have lost but to be honest I look no difference and my clothes don't seem any different.
    This is so confusing with all this advice coming at me! Maybe he was just trying to get me to buy a training session with him.

I lost 20 lbs before I could see a diff. 30 lbs before anyone at work said something. He was trying to get a new client! Keep up what you are doing and you will do great.
  • nakrya
    nakrya Posts: 191
    Options
    I am so demotivated.
    I joined the gym 18th of Decemeber, have had no caffiene and only alcohol on New Years Eve and thr 4th of Jan.
    I have been doing cardio at the gym, about one hour either on the exercise bike or cross trainer, and then half an hour on the one I did not do the hour on.

I have been sticking very strictly to low fat, weight watchers food. Despite this I feel no different, feel I look no different (no one has said otherwise) and have only lost a bit of weight.

I was speaking to someone at the gym today who is a personal trainer, and he said my workout will NOT help me lose weight. He said the only way to lose weight is through building muscle - ie- lifting weights. I don't want to do this as it hurts me.
    He said what I have been doing for the past few weeks will no have helped me lose any weight.

I thought it was calories in vs calories out. And I burn around 500 calories most times I go to the gym and I go around 4-5 times a week. Please help, I don't understand why he said this workout wouldnt work.
    And why I feel and look no different :(

I think that as long as you are challenging your body, and 'excercising' you should see results within time. Be realistic, you're not going to drop a ton of weight right away, but try and not feel discouraged by this. I work out with a trainer and I've only lost 10 pounds in 3 months. Was I expecting more? Not at all. I don't focus on the numbers because they will fluctuate. Instead, focus on how your clothes fit and becoming healthier and stronger.

And a good trainer will never tell you that what you are doing isn't going to help! Like Jennplus said, he was probably just trying to get you as a client! :)

Good luck!
  • stella_star
    Options
    It sounds like you may not be eating enough. Especially if you are frequently eating less than your daily amount!

Through my own personal experience (I started last Feb and lost 2 stone by September) I find diet is the most important part of fat loss, followed by weight training and then cardio - for cardio I only do interval training.

I also found the best way to track progress is to measure myself, not weigh myself. I weight once a week and measure myself every two weeks - that's where I really notice the difference. There are so many factors that can affect your weight on the scale, it's really nto the best guide.

By weight training instead of cardio I have improved my metabloism greatly meaning I don't put weight on as quickly as before and I have greatly improved my shape. In the past when I've tried cardio alone I just became a smaller version of the same shape, and still didn't like how I looked!

I wouldn't bother with that trainer but it is worth finding a good trainer for at least a couple of sessions to show you how to use weights properly and set you with a routine you can continue by yourself - if lifting weights in uncomfortable or painful you probably aren't doing it right.
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    Options
    Do not get demotivated. Here's a nice description of target heart rates from the American Heart Association that should help you.

Target Heart Rates

AHA Recommendation
    Health professionals know the importance of proper pacing during exercise. To receive the benefits of physical activity, it's important not to tire too quickly. Pacing yourself is especially important if you've been inactive.

Target heart rates let you measure your initial fitness level and monitor your progress in a fitness program. This approach requires measuring your pulse periodically as you exercise and staying within 50 to 85 percent of your maximum heart rate. This range is called your target heart rate.

What is an alternative to target heart rates?

Some people can't measure their pulse or don't want to take their pulse when exercising. If this is true for you, try using a "conversational pace" to monitor your efforts during moderate activities like walking. If you can talk and walk at the same time, you aren't working too hard. If you can sing and maintain your level of effort, you're probably not working hard enough. If you get out of breath quickly, you're probably working too hard — especially if you have to stop and catch your breath.

When should I use the target heart rate?

If you participate in more-vigorous activities like brisk walking and jogging, the "conversational pace" approach may not work. Then try using the target heart rate. It works for many people, and it's a good way for health professionals to monitor your progress.

The table below shows estimated target heart rates for different ages. Look for the age category closest to yours, then read across to find your target heart rate.

Age Target HR Zone
    50–85 % Average Maximum Heart Rate 100 %
    20 years 100–170 beats per minute 200 beats per minute
    25 years 98–166 beats per minute 195 beats per minute
    30 years 95–162 beats per minute 190 beats per minute
    35 years 93–157 beats per minute 185 beats per minute
    40 years 90–153 beats per minute 180 beats per minute
    45 years 88–149 beats per minute 175 beats per minute
    50 years 85–145 beats per minute 170 beats per minute
    55 years 83–140 beats per minute 165 beats per minute
    60 years 80–136 beats per minute 160 beats per minute
    65 years 78–132 beats per minute 155 beats per minute
    70 years 75–128 beats per minute 150 beats per minute

Your maximum heart rate is about 220 minus your age. The figures above are averages, so use them as general guidelines.

Note: A few high blood pressure medications lower the maximum heart rate and thus the target zone rate. If you're taking such medicine, call your physician to find out if you need to use a lower target heart rate.

How should I pace myself?

When starting an exercise program, aim at the lowest part of your target zone (50 percent) during the first few weeks. Gradually build up to the higher part of your target zone (75 percent). After six months or more of regular exercise, you may be able to exercise comfortably at up to 85 percent of your maximum heart rate. However, you don't have to exercise that hard to stay in shape.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I am so demotivated.
    I joined the gym 18th of Decemeber, have had no caffiene and only alcohol on New Years Eve and thr 4th of Jan.
    I have been doing cardio at the gym, about one hour either on the exercise bike or cross trainer, and then half an hour on the one I did not do the hour on.

I have been sticking very strictly to low fat, weight watchers food. Despite this I feel no different, feel I look no different (no one has said otherwise) and have only lost a bit of weight.

I was speaking to someone at the gym today who is a personal trainer, and he said my workout will NOT help me lose weight. He said the only way to lose weight is through building muscle - ie- lifting weights. I don't want to do this as it hurts me.
    He said what I have been doing for the past few weeks will no have helped me lose any weight.

I thought it was calories in vs calories out. And I burn around 500 calories most times I go to the gym and I go around 4-5 times a week. Please help, I don't understand why he said this workout wouldnt work.
    And why I feel and look no different :(

We He didn't spend enough time with you. I actually majored in personal trainer. If he did not get an assesment from you and just going off of his own feelings he is full of CRAP. I think he might be trying to tell you that if you lift you will burn more calories. You can do light weights at home like 5 to 10 lb weights and still build muscle. Eventually you will work up to more. You can still lose with just cardio. You can also build from doing cardio to. Like on treadmill etc just by adjusting the resistance. Don't be discouraged.
  • leeslim4life
    leeslim4life Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I have a question about the Age Target HR Zone.
    I use a HRM & I set my target low to 60% & high to 85%. How do I know if this is right for me? My avg Heart Beats per Min is supposed to be 188 but I have no clue what that is percentage wise. Anyone know? Your help is appreciated, thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    Options
    I use a HRM & I set my target low to 60% & high to 85%. How do I know if this is right for me? My avg Heart Beats per Min is supposed to be 188 but I have no clue what that is percentage wise. Anyone know? Your help is appreciated, thank you! :flowerforyou:

If 188 is the avg max rate for your age (you must be around 32-33 yrs old) then 60% would be about 113 bpm and 85% would be about 160bpm. If yours is between those 2 numbers while you are working out you are burning fat.
  • leeslim4life
    leeslim4life Posts: 371 Member
    Options

If 188 is the avg max rate for your age (you must be around 32-33 yrs old) then 60% would be about 113 bpm and 85% would be about 160bpm. If yours is between those 2 numbers while you are working out you are burning fat.

Yes, that's correct, I am 32yrs old!
    Oh, so I am good then right? That's what I need to do is burn fat!!!!
    I thank you so much for your feedback!!! :heart:
  • kawade80
    Options
    Do not get demotivated. Here's a nice description of target heart rates from the American Heart Association that should help you.

Target Heart Rates

AHA Recommendation
    Health professionals know the importance of proper pacing during exercise. To receive the benefits of physical activity, it's important not to tire too quickly. Pacing yourself is especially important if you've been inactive.

Target heart rates let you measure your initial fitness level and monitor your progress in a fitness program. This approach requires measuring your pulse periodically as you exercise and staying within 50 to 85 percent of your maximum heart rate. This range is called your target heart rate.

What is an alternative to target heart rates?

Some people can't measure their pulse or don't want to take their pulse when exercising. If this is true for you, try using a "conversational pace" to monitor your efforts during moderate activities like walking. If you can talk and walk at the same time, you aren't working too hard. If you can sing and maintain your level of effort, you're probably not working hard enough. If you get out of breath quickly, you're probably working too hard — especially if you have to stop and catch your breath.

When should I use the target heart rate?

If you participate in more-vigorous activities like brisk walking and jogging, the "conversational pace" approach may not work. Then try using the target heart rate. It works for many people, and it's a good way for health professionals to monitor your progress.

The table below shows estimated target heart rates for different ages. Look for the age category closest to yours, then read across to find your target heart rate.

Age Target HR Zone
    50–85 % Average Maximum Heart Rate 100 %
    20 years 100–170 beats per minute 200 beats per minute
    25 years 98–166 beats per minute 195 beats per minute
    30 years 95–162 beats per minute 190 beats per minute
    35 years 93–157 beats per minute 185 beats per minute
    40 years 90–153 beats per minute 180 beats per minute
    45 years 88–149 beats per minute 175 beats per minute
    50 years 85–145 beats per minute 170 beats per minute
    55 years 83–140 beats per minute 165 beats per minute
    60 years 80–136 beats per minute 160 beats per minute
    65 years 78–132 beats per minute 155 beats per minute
    70 years 75–128 beats per minute 150 beats per minute

Your maximum heart rate is about 220 minus your age. The figures above are averages, so use them as general guidelines.

Note: A few high blood pressure medications lower the maximum heart rate and thus the target zone rate. If you're taking such medicine, call your physician to find out if you need to use a lower target heart rate.

How should I pace myself?

When starting an exercise program, aim at the lowest part of your target zone (50 percent) during the first few weeks. Gradually build up to the higher part of your target zone (75 percent). After six months or more of regular exercise, you may be able to exercise comfortably at up to 85 percent of your maximum heart rate. However, you don't have to exercise that hard to stay in shape.

Thank you for posting this, my husband and I were just talking about how to figure this out today.