what to with bad knees?

Options
lin7604
lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
i want to start toning again.... hopefully stick with it. I have bad knees and i have done 30ds and rin30 and i have to modify a lot of the exercises b/c of my knees... what exercises can i do that will tone up my body ( specially my core area) but not hard on my knees....

Replies

• cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    pilates, rower, strength training...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    Most people don't have bad knees because then just walking would be quite painful. Most people's knees hurt because when they exercise, their form is incorrect. If you haven't had a professional assess your form, now would be a good time. Chances are that correct form would solve the issue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bago08
    bago08 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I actually got my knee shot up months ago. I was a runner and have a small tear and a bit of arthritis. I had a shot in my knee a couple months ago and Ive been back out starting at 2 miles and this weekend I did 4 miles.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    I actually got my knee shot up months ago. I was a runner and have a small tear and a bit of arthritis. I had a shot in my knee a couple months ago and Ive been back out starting at 2 miles and this weekend I did 4 miles.
    But shots mask pain. What are the chances that you're causing more damage?

IDEA Fitness member
  • Erin0164
    Erin0164 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My knees have been bad my entire life...until I started working with a personal trainer that truly understood how to help me. She strengthened every muscle in my legs and core and I haven't had a knee problem or pain in 8 months.
  • williameduncan
    williameduncan Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Ok, I don't know you or your situation, so I'll tell you mine, in case you can take away something relevant. I weigh about 350...have been over 300 for years and twice over 400. I'm a career educator, so I've stood on hard floors for a long time. Obviously, cardio is part of the solution to my weight problem. But my knees, both of them, have undergone arthroscopic surgery (2006). Now I'm no dummy (ok, that's debatable) and I do exercise. I have realized that my knee pain (medial patellar) is related to where the hamstrings attach to the bones. Bottom line, I have a muscular imbalance between my quads and my hamstrings. I have found relief by strengthening my hamstrings. At the same time, I look for low impact options for cardio -- bike, elliptical trainer, lap swimming (if that's an option). I hope something in here helps you.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Most people don't have bad knees because then just walking would be quite painful. Most people's knees hurt because when they exercise, their form is incorrect. If you haven't had a professional assess your form, now would be a good time. Chances are that correct form would solve the issue.

IDEA Fitness member

What if you know you have a bad knee because walking is painful? I found building muscle strength helps, but in another thread it was suggested to me to find a solid brace.
  • Monkeymomma05
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I had 'bad knees' too but I also started to take more notice on my form and how I am positions on some of the workouts for 30DS. I started off without the weights and just focused more on my form until I was confident that I was doing it correctly. I then added the weights and although I had to pause the dvd I had to re train myself on the positions due to the weights, yes they are only 5lb ones but I still had to focus. I still have a little pain in my knees but I am also taking some Omega 3 Krill Oil and that seems to help too. Building the muscle, focusing on my form and losing the weight is what I found works.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    i want to start toning again.... hopefully stick with it. I have bad knees and i have done 30ds and rin30 and i have to modify a lot of the exercises b/c of my knees... what exercises can i do that will tone up my body ( specially my core area) but not hard on my knees....

I'm assuming you know what is causing your pain and labeling your knees as bad. I have Arthritis in mine, and though walking is somewhat painful I do a lot of it. What I've found that is pretty much stress free on my knees is water aerobics.
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I agree with others that you should get your knees checked so you know what's causing the problem.

I have one really bad one and I know exactly why.....it was mangled in a car crash many years ago....I do water aerobics and you can find toning exercises for the pool too.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Changing my running form eliminated my knee problems at age 51.
  • lin7604
    Options
    i was hit my a car when i was young and had issues since, i was suppose to have surgery but never did. I have arthritis in the left one and let me tell you some days walking is painful or even jumping ( like in 30ds for jump ropes) some days i can get through i whole dvd no problem, the next i feel it in the 1st squat/ lunge or whatever... some days bending my knees walking down/up the stairs hurts....or even bike riding. i had bought a elliptical for the fact it is easier on my knees and i love it, i also have a treadmill but i want to tone more. I like the toning i was getting from doing the dvd's but i wanted to be able to do exercises and not wonder if i can get them all in.....before i am in pain. know what i mean. ( i have done 30ds and rin30 a few times each already) i did concentrate on the form in the beginning before using weight too like another poster mentioned.... i just find my knees have a mind of their own, if the weather is off, i sure feel it more..... so suggestions for what kind of exercises i can do to keep toning would be great that will be kind to my knees...
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

I'd be very interested to hear more about this.
  • lin7604
    Options
    I agree with others that you should get your knees checked so you know what's causing the problem.

I have one really bad one and I know exactly why.....it was mangled in a car crash many years ago....I do water aerobics and you can find toning exercises for the pool too.

i have and i know what it is......same here, bad car accident when i was young. I just don't have a gym or pool near by as i live out of the city.. so i need to figure out what i can do at home that doesn't involve spending tons of cash on all sort of weights... currently i only have 3 and 5 lb weights. but i also do have one of those home gyms..
  • lin7604
    Options

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options

I'd be very interested to hear more about this.
    My right knee used to hurt all the time when I ran a lot. Last year I changed my form to mid/fore foot strike and my stride so that my foot landed under my body instead of out in front. This essentially transferred the landing force from the bones and joints into the tendons and muscles where it can be absorbed, stored, and released with each stride. Google "Good Form Running" for descriptions, pictures, diagrams, and videos.
  • lin7604
    Options
    i'm not a runner at all, and i wanted to do toning exercises instead of cardio focused. so many tell me i need to tone more and do less cardio...if i want to see results since i am only 5 lbs away from my goal.
  • fortyonetogo
    Options
    I hook ankle weights right above my knees while i ride on an stationary bike. Since the bike is no-impact it doesn't bother my knees so much. Make sure the seat is adjusted properly though or it can cause knee pain anyway. Also, I do zumba but I just eliminate the "bounces" and twist and modify the steps, but I also use arm weights to help tone my upper body at the same time.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

define tone
  • lin7604
    Options
    well i need to firm up, tighten my thighs a bit more, especially my belly and arms.. a bit more definition in my back, etc... i am almost at my goal weight but still not looking as good as i thought i would as i just look like a smaller version of myself... so i wanted to start toning and then lifting a bit heavier and using my home gym...