McDonald's is good for you.

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    This is a serious question and if anyone is really knowledgeable on nutrition and how it affects the body I would love your input.

So in Australia the nutrition of a McDonald's cheeseburger is as follows:

Calories: 284
    Protein: 15.1g
    Fat (total): 12.4g
    -Saturated: 6.0
    Carbs: 26.3
    Sugars: 4.5
    Sodium: 747mg

Now I wonder if this burger is actually no so bad for me because it is only a quarter of my recommended daily fat intake and it's actually not that high in sugar AND that is a lot of protein for one item of food. So I'm thinking, once the macros are broken down, a burger actually isn't so bad... And if I included it in my diet a few times a week (not everyday but more than once a week) would it really hinder me in my quest to reduce overall body fat %?

I mean the burger alone, not in a meal or anything. For more insight, the rest of my diet is generally a bowl of porridge (oats) for breakfast, a lentil & vegetable mix for lunch and either fruit or protein shakes as morning/afternoon snack.

AM I INSANE? Or could a burger be a really great way to get my protein intake up a few times a week? (I have an intake goal of 98g per day and imma struggling to reach it)

Isn't there anywhere you can get a burger Down Under that actually tastes good? Sure, you could live on it, but why would you? McDonald's doesn't even taste like a hamburger should taste. It's just a greasy BK burger, flat and salty, and nasty.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    This post is like a big net designed to trap orthorexics.

LOL

Do you have any pubic hair?

LOL

LOL!
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I prefer to make my own burgers out of either lean turkey mince or lean steak mince.

I haven't had a McDonald's for many months now, just doesn't interest me. I am more of a KFC kind of person, but I haven't had that for many months either. I think the last one I had was back in February or March.

So when I make a burger, I usually use like 150g to 200g of lean turkey mince, add some herbs, spices, etc. I use a reasonable amount of lettuce. Add cottage cheese instead of mayo and I have it on a wholewheat bun which has a reasonable amount of protein.
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    A burger every once in a while is OK. I certainly wouldn't consider it health food though.
  • skinimin
    skinimin Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    This is a serious question and if anyone is really knowledgeable on nutrition and how it affects the body I would love your input.

Now I wonder if this burger is actually no so bad for me because it is only a quarter of my recommended daily fat intake and it's actually not that high in sugar AND that is a lot of protein for one item of food. So I'm thinking, once the macros are broken down, a burger actually isn't so bad... And if I included it in my diet a few times a week (not everyday but more than once a week) would it really hinder me in my quest to reduce overall body fat %?

I mean the burger alone, not in a meal or anything. For more insight, the rest of my diet is generally a bowl of porridge (oats) for breakfast, a lentil & vegetable mix for lunch and either fruit or protein shakes as morning/afternoon snack.

AM I INSANE? Or could a burger be a really great way to get my protein intake up a few times a week? (I have an intake goal of 98g per day and imma struggling to reach it)

Isn't there anywhere you can get a burger Down Under that actually tastes good? Sure, you could live on it, but why would you? McDonald's doesn't even taste like a hamburger should taste. It's just a greasy BK burger, flat and salty, and nasty.

It does taste good here :) well to me anyway. I've had a McDonald's cheeseburger from various states in USA, as well as in Athens, Paris, Thailand (Phuket), Indonesia (Bali), London, Rome, Kusadasi in Turkey, Johannesburg South Africa, and one or two countries in Eastern Europe and they honestly do all taste different.

Weirdly enough the US had the worst one, it was all dry and just totally lacking in flavour and just really off :/ Funnily enough Thailand had the best cheeseburger...

I'm not addicted to McDonald's or anything haha I have just travelled a lot and it's a fun little thing I like to do, try a cheeseburger in every country since they're supposed to all taste the same.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    im sorry but this is the dumb-est post ive seen yet only because if this is being considered as an excuse for a daily option for a protien source, its rediculous. and it misleading to the people who struggle with weight and fastfood addictions, if its being considered for a free day option then hey- to each his own, i just really hate that people wont let go of the thought " If I eat less junk (not as much as i did before) its healthy". going from the number 10 to the value menu is not going to change any thing, you will eventually work your way back to the number 10 and fail...again.:noway: :huh: :sick: :indifferent: :grumble: :explode: :angry: :mad:
  • skinimin
    Options
    im sorry but this is the dumb-est post ive seen yet only because if this is being considered as an excuse for a daily option for a protien source, its rediculous. and it misleading to the people who struggle with weight and fastfood addictions, if its being considered for a free day option then hey- to each his own, i just really hate that people wont let go of the thought " If I eat less junk (not as much as i did before) its healthy". going from the number 10 to the value menu is not going to change any thing, you will eventually work your way back to the number 10 and fail...again.:noway: :huh: :sick: :indifferent: :grumble: :explode: :angry: :mad:

Not everyone on here has a weight problem, I have never been fat, not even close. If people aren't going to be active and do their own research into nutrition and how it influences their body then that is not the responsibility of anyone but the individual. If people are going to ignore that I didn't say daily cheeseburger and that I intended to work it into an otherwise nutritionally healthy diet with a calorie deficit that is too bad. When I say "people" I don't mean you specifically, just as a response to your comment about the people who struggle with junk food addictions etc.
  • Stephanie_Autry
    Stephanie_Autry Posts: 228 Member
    Options

Let me repost this for you....did you see the content of the saturated fats? Not so much, I try to stay under 15g of saturated fats a day.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

Well, aren't you a little bundle of inspiration! :noway:

When a BK burger is the difference between my husband coming home from a s****y day at work and picking another fight with me, or him coming home from a s****y day at work and taking his anger out on a burger, he can have his burger.
  • Stephanie_Autry
    Options
    Gross. It's processed and processed food is bad for you. Watch the documentary "supersize me" and you'll see how gross that food is.

Supersize Me is a crock. Spurlock is an idiot.

Mucky D's ain't ideal but it is not the cause of the obesity problem.

This!!!! ^^^
  • skinimin
    Options
    [/quote]

Let me repost this for you....did you see the content of the saturated fats? Not so much, I try to stay under 15g of saturated fats a day.
    [/quote]

Yeah the saturated fats was a bit of a draw back, the sodium would have been too but I have really low blood pressure and don't make a habit of eating high sodium foods in the rest of my diet (well I try not to make it a habit anyway). But I can live with a bit of water retention because that's just temporary.

I think one thing about the macros is it takes away the guilt a little, like I won't freak out so much if my friend's all call for cheeseburgers at the end of a drunken night. I mean even if there are chemicals in the food (which is totally weird because I thought ALL foods were made up of chemical compounds, I guess I'm dumb.. haha) the burger actually doesn't come up looking as bad as I always imagined it. Obviously I'm not planning to eat a quarter pounder and large fries everyday..
  • ThePersnicketyOtter
    ThePersnicketyOtter Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    To be quite honest, it's not really that bad for you--in moderation no food is. BUT I do find after eating greasy foods like McDonald's I feel kinda tired and lethargic and just want to nap. So, if it makes you feel like that, I'd say don't eat it, but if you can eat it and feel no worse for it, then I'd say go for it. No matter what a couple times a week it won't hurt you if you don't eat it for every meal.
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's the refined sugars/carbs which are the part of fast food not being overly healthy. Add in the majority of the products being fried and there you go.........

I personally don't see the problem with having this stuff now and again however I know my Nutritionist would crucify me for saying that! I think in the example of the cheeseburger...........if it had no sauce on it and was a wholemeal bun opposed to a white one, then, I think it would be a good choice! Again, it's what you have with it..........the sauces (full of sugar), chips (fried white potatoes) and the pop/soda (caffeine/sugar/Aspartame) - they just send your blood sugar into a frezy!
  • Stephanie_Autry
    Options

[/quote]

Yeah the saturated fats was a bit of a draw back, the sodium would have been too but I have really low blood pressure and don't make a habit of eating high sodium foods in the rest of my diet (well I try not to make it a habit anyway). But I can live with a bit of water retention because that's just temporary.

I think one thing about the macros is it takes away the guilt a little, like I won't freak out so much if my friend's all call for cheeseburgers at the end of a drunken night. I mean even if there are chemicals in the food (which is totally weird because I thought ALL foods were made up of chemical compounds, I guess I'm dumb.. haha) the burger actually doesn't come up looking as bad as I always imagined it. Obviously I'm not planning to eat a quarter pounder and large fries everyday..
    [/quote]

Don't get me wrong though- I will eat something fast food every once in awhile but I always get something small as well. It's just been grilled chicken salads lately though.
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Mcdonalds and Burger King etc are great for vegetarians as there is no meat in any of their products ! LOL ;-)

Hence why this Celiac never eats fast food. LOL
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    If you want a burger then instead of considering McDonalds, consider buying frozen patties or better yet buy a ground beef and make your own burger from scratch.

I heard that almost half of the calories in a McDonalds cheeseburger comes from the bun. And that's not all, if you look up the ingredients used in the bun & burger, you'll find unnecessary additives and other complicated scientific names which I don't think you can swallow.
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    15.1 g protein is slightly over 2 protein units according to the ADA and 12.4 g fat is 2.5 fat units (about). 26.3 carbs counts as approx. 2 carb units (a little under). So if you are watching and counting p/c/f levels then you would just have to take that into account in your food choices the rest of the day to balance it out. You can work anything into your diet if you just balance with other healthier choices to avoid excessive overages. Complete denial of any food is not necessary, just portion control and overall balance in the grand scheme of things. Where I would watch it though is that that one little burger has 747mg of sodium. You'd need alot of super low sodium food the rest of the day to avoid massive overage. Mayo Clinic recommends a MAX of 2500 mg per day and 1500 for anyone with certain medical conditions like diabetes or high blood pressure (among others), but the lower the better. Processed and restaurant food is notoriously high in sodium, even the so-called "healthy choices" so you have to really watch it if you are going to eat out. I wouldn't say you'll kill your diet if you have a McD's cheeseburger now and again, but you will need to keep your eye on the big picture and see how your body responds at what levels of nutrition and nutrients.
  • andrewlazenby
    Options
    it's not necessarily calories, but what the calories are from (same goes for fats). Super processed food, such as mcdonalds, is bad for you.. your body cannot use this as fuel, it will just slow you down. If you want a cheeseburger, make it at home with meat that isnt full of a bunch of antibiotics, make it from real cheese, try a gluten free bun, ect

Huh? you got any science that is credible to back that up? While I agree that there are better things out there than McDonalds, saying your body will not use the for fuel is just about ridiculous. Need an example? Chris Horner came in 10th in the Tour De France this year. He is famous for his crappy diet and love of MickyD's.

Your body simply looks at food as either a carb, a lipid, or a protein after it is digested. Now, to be sure there are other things in there that are not one of those three and your body will deal with them in a number of ways (sequestration, nutralization, evacuation)....
  • RiannonC
    RiannonC Posts: 145 Member
    Options

Yes, the burger really is that bad for you.

It's mostly empty calories: a white bun with little to no fiber and any nutrients processed out of it, and ground beef made from very low quality meat. No vegetables, which should be your number one source of food. The fats that are contained therein are not healthy fats. 15 grams of protein is really not all that much; any protein source will give you at least that much without exposing you to all the hormones their cows probably receive. Beans, ground flax, chicken, fish, or even organic beef from the grocery store are all vastly better options. But if you really love McD's burgers and want to fit one in every week or two, it probably won't kill you.

Just please don't start thinking of it as a health food simply because it contains protein. It's not "a really great way" to reach your protein goals. Eating some tuna fish or chicken would get you there with much fewer calories and better nutrition. Eat the burger if you must but don't delude yourself that it is somehow good for you.
  • drwgal
    drwgal Posts: 66
    Options
    You know, I would probably eat McDonalds on my days off, but I don't think it should be considered apart of any of the food groups, or anyone's "diet". Spoil yourself with it once in a while? Sure! That wouldn't be a huge deal. The different tastes come from all sort of things, for all you know, the burgers in the other countries are made from stray dogs, cats, horses...I don't know the definition of 100% beef in other countries, but here in the US 100% beef doesn't mean that you are getting healthy protein. Beef by-products are still considered beef, and our fast food has a USDA regulation on how many by products are allowed in their foods, same with most all of our processed crap. So when people say that a burger from McDonalds is not meat, they are partially correct, because I believe the USDA allows the percentage of by-products to be more than the percentage of real meat.

In fact it has been said, and I think proven that cow eyeballs are used to produce their hamburgers. The USDA has even been found to buy the famous "Pink slime" for school lunches. One reason why I prepare my kids' school lunches at home.

You can always get more information by contacting the program in who grades the beef and food products in your country, and ask them for their specifications on the meat used in different companies, such as fast food places, and schools.