So what are some healthy and quick breakfast ideas?

Options
Hi guys and gals,

I have been struggling with my lunch and breakfast(the calorie intake for these two are too small, while the carb/sugar are quite much).

I have taken up the liking of having a bowl of oatmeal every morning, with some peanut butter mixed in it. But I don't want to live every breakfast on the same thing, and was wondering if there were any other certain cool breakfast ideas, that could probably fill around 500 calories, and not contain a lot of carbs?

Maybe a certain way of making an omelette?

PS: I am an 18 year old guy, and not really the kitchen-prodigy master, so I wonder if there are some easy to follow instructions along with the ideas?

Thank you so much for reading!

Replies

• davesiglow
    Options
    I like Hi-Fiber cereal like Kashi GoLean, egg whites are essential if you're on a high protein diet I use egg beaters and generic when I can pick them up mix in some black beans, tomatoes, onions etc... whatever you have in the fridge for extra protein burst. I also do the oatmeal, I put some protein powder in mine, or sometimes sugar free maple syrup.
  • bnb200525
    Options
    Yogurt & Apples or some kind of fruit watch the sugar intake in fruits.
  • harryd179
    Options
    If you like oatmeal maybe try it with dried fruit like blueberries or something? If you prepare it the night before (oatmeal, milk, fruit in a bowl and then put it in the fridge, whatever) it takes up so much less time in the morning. You can also put banana in oatmeal (1 banana is about 120 calories) but if you leave it overnight it will go brown.
  • PositivePower
    PositivePower Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Do you have a blender??? One of my gym instructors told me to try some dry oatmeal, greek yogurt and blueberries. I added some chocolate protein powder and alittle natural sweetner...blend it together...really good! You can eat with a spoon or add alittle water to thin it out.

Enjoy!
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    Fruit Smoothie
    1-banana
    1 cup berries (blueberry, strawberry, raspberry, etc.. just pick one)
    1/2 cup milk (regular, almond, or soy)
    1/4 cup walnuts (some like it, some don't)
    5 ice cubes
    Blend and serve
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    try the jimmy dean d lights products. Theyre made with whole grains and turkey sausage and I think one is canadian bacon, anywway they are really good for a low cal breakfast sandwhich. They are all under 300 calories.

Also, I like to grab fruit for on the go like bananas apples and oranges, yogurt cups or trail mix/ granola bars. None of it requires preparation and are good starts to the day.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Liquid egg whites with a little feta cheese and salsa is one of my favorites,fruit smoothies if you have a blender/food processor, protein shakes, lowfat cottage cheese with fruit, whole wheat 100 calories english muffin with peanut butter.. I use the PB2 peanut butter, which is a powder mixed with water, and it's delicious for only 45 calories!
  • TheFinalThird
    TheFinalThird Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I keep chopped onions, red peppers, green peppers, etc., in the fridge at all times. Saute them in a frying pan with cooking spray till brown, sometimes chop up left over protein from dinner the night before (chicken, occasionally beef, etc.), then fill the pan with Kirkland egg whites from Costco. Cook to just before the eggs are firm (carryover on your plate will take them the rest of the way). You can use any egg substitute as long as it is all or mostly all egg whites. Great big source of protein, vitamins A and C, fiber, nutrients from the veggies, and keeps me satisfied for several hours. Depending on how much you make, how much you eat, and what you put in it, this dish can range from 250 to 550 calories. Great start to most of my days.
  • JuroNemo14
    JuroNemo14 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    @dave, I was thinking of buying some protein powder, but I'm not exactly sure whether that could help my cause(my MFP goals show that I actually use too much Protein, but maybe that should ignored...?)
    @bnb, I bought me some G Smiths ;) Thanks!
    @Harry, wouldn't the oatmeal spoil or something? I use about 40g of oatmeal, and 400 mL of boiled water, than cook the oatmeal+water, till it is almost hard. I probably do something wrong, but if you suggest putting it in the fridge, I guess I could try it. Thanks :)
    @Positivepower, sounds pretty good! Is it suposed to be an alternative for breakfast, or more like a side-drinkish snack?
    @CJC, thanks! I will try this!

@the rest after, thanks guys! I wish there were some of those products in Holland here, but I'll have to do with some that look like them.

Keep 'em coming!
  • nibbynoo
    nibbynoo Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    hi,

i make summer porridge.
    get a mason jar, add your porridge oats, some yoghurt (greek is good) and some milk then load it up with seeds, fruit, peanut butter, honey, anything you fancy!
    screw the lid of, shake the crap out of it and leave in the fridge overnight. The oats swell in the milk/yoghurt and you eat it cold. it's great in summer and so tasty! I make a weeks worth on sunday night so i can just grab one each morning!

:)
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    this works for me ......

I make a batch of hard-boiled eggs eggs each week & batches of sauteed/roasted vegetables ...... then my breakfast is easy to make ...... a HB egg with hot sauce ..... and either some cooked veg ....... or sliced red & green peppers, and cherry tomatoes ..... I usually save my "starches" for later in the day ......

Best of luck to you !
  • davesiglow
    Options
    This starts to get into Macro nutrients, luckily you can find tons of great articles on the web. Generally you would want a higher protein intake to compensate for a calorie deficit while building muscle. The extra protein reduces the amount of muscle that your body will eat as a result of the deficit.
  • jehuster
    Options
    BUMP
  • elisemarieh
    Options
    @nuttinikki - what a great idea! I'm definitely going to try this!
  • thirtyby30
    thirtyby30 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have a smoothie every workday morning - mostly out of "running out of time" necessity than anything else. Use a blender., pour it in a glass, add a straw and I drink it on my commute.

I buy bananas, peel them, wrap them in plastic wrap, break them in half and then freeze them in a ziplock bag. I also buy other fruit, ie strawberries, peaches, pineapple when it is on sale and cut them up and throw them all into this ziplock bag in my freezer. When I have orange juice, I put 1/c cup in a small ziplock baggie and freeze it.

To make the smoothie : pour in your blender: 1 cup skim milk, 1 scoop protein powder (vanilla) and 1 to 2 servings of frozen fruit. Blend until smooth and enjoy!

Great combos are banana and OJ. strawberry/banana, or banana/crushed pineapple. Another good variation is chocolate protein powder with a banana and also a serving of "better than peanut butter" (from Trader Joes)

Re: Protein Powder. I use the brand "designer Whey" or "Light Muscle Milk" both around 100 kcals per scoop. This breakfast keeps me feeling STUFFED for at least 4 hours.
  • elmarito007
    Options
    yogurt and cheerios.. works for me.
  • Brendajo510
    Options
    My breakfast is normally a quick on the go kind of meal.

1 piece of Toast with peanut butter
    Oatmeal (but I'm a sucker for brown sugar in it and a tiny bit of milk)
    Yogurt
    Carrots
    Special K snack bar
    Cereal
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    Steel cut oats
    Wasa bread, sliced turkey breast, cottage cheese, cayenne pepper
    Wasa bread, poached egg, cayenne
    0 calorie yoghurt, skinny b cereal
    Protein shakes
    These are my mornings
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Blend/grind oats into flour. Add a scoop or two of protein powder, eggs or egg whites until it looks like a batter, pour onto a hot skillet. Takes less than a minute per side to cook, top with berries or peanut butter or whatever makes you happy. They are a bit dense, but super filling, and I've heard you can add a bit of baking powder to make it more fluffy.

Oh, also, I have this protein powder called click: it's protein powder mixed with instant coffee. Love the stuff!