Overcoming the "man mentality"?

Options
So I want to start adding more toning to my work outs to burn away fat (in addition to cardio and caloric intake). However..I'm too afraid to ask for help. The guys at the gym give me strange looks when I'm in "their area" anyway, so I feel embarrassed to ask for help...How can I over come that? Should I ask one of the YMCA workers or just look it up myself?

Replies

• frixtine
    frixtine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    When I joined a gym, there was a free consult included, and they showed you how to correctly use some of the machines and did some fitness tests. Why don't you just pop in the office one day and ask about that. Or if not, if you can afford it, hire a trainer for a day.... they won't mind. That's what they do for a living.
  • slogan119
    Options
    Ask one of the trainers for help. DO NOT start lifting without some basic training to give you a good idea of the "form" you need to use, otherwise you risk getting hurt. But don't be apprehensive of going into the free weight area - most of the guys there are giant tools and don't know what they're doing.
  • Nightdust
    Nightdust Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I know personally that I'm stubborn, self righteous at times lol and not as shy anymore so I would probably just walk up to them and be like hey I want to get toned, can someone show me what to do?

I did this a couple days ago at work. This guy came in with big buffed arms and I said, "I know this is a weird question but how did you get your arms so bulked up? I don't want to get bulky just toned." And then we went on to have a conversation about women that get too bulky and look scary lol.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    are they giving you strange looks because you are in "their area" or because you might be doing it wrong?

Sometimes I just look and kinda shake my head at some of the things people do in the gym - and btw, its usually guys that I am in shock by. I'd have a lot more respect for someone that asks for help than someone that goes in and tries to figure it out on their own and takes a chance of hurting themselves or even someone else. It happens.

There is no shame in asking for help. Most people that know what they are doing would be more than happy to show you some technique here and there. Also, read about some exercises before you go so you at least know the basics.

What most people - especially guys - don't understand is that lifting weights effectively is more about technique than how much you can lift. One of the biggest guys at my gym lifts very slowly and methodically with perfect technique using moderate weights and inevitably, some scrawny pinhead goes up next to him and grabs larger weights and jerks them up with horrible techniques. The results speak for themselves!
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    (: You all made me really happy. I looked up some of the things I need to do, but tomorrow I'm gonna ask. <3 Thank you all very much