A question for Guys re Press Ups

Options
Flixie00
Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
Feeling a bit sheepish about this, but here goes ...

A male colleague and I spend a lot of time in our respective Central London gyms, and have noticed a new form for press ups demonstrated by a lot of male gym goers. My male buddy refers to this new form as the "sex press up" which pretty much explains all.

What we want to know is if there is any benefit from doing press ups this way rather than the traditional way, or is this just a nasty gym trend? Either way, I find this new form strangely off putting.

Replies

• cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    Feeling a bit sheepish about this, but here goes ...

A male colleague and I spend a lot of time in our respective Central London gyms, and have noticed a new form for press ups demonstrated by a lot of male gym goers. My male buddy refers to this new form as the "sex press up" which pretty much explains all.

What we want to know is if there is any benefit from doing press ups this way rather than the traditional way, or is this just a nasty gym trend? Either way, I find this new form strangely off putting.

I think I know what you're talking about. In high school we called them zoomers. Start with your butt high, then zoom forward and down. Did them in wrestling and football practice constantly.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what you mean by a "sex push up". LOL.
  • GrumpyAG
    GrumpyAG Posts: 41 Member
    Options
  • qtiekiki
    Options
    Oh Dive Bomber. LOL.
  • GrumpyAG
    GrumpyAG Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Oh Dive Bomber. LOL.

It's the only thing I can think of....maybe?! lol
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options

Maybe not as extreme as that, but yep.

Joking aside, what's the benefit of it?
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    hehehe, now you have me wondering too. Anyone do these? Why?
  • qtiekiki
    Options
    I think the dive bomber works the same muscles as a standard push up, but it also increases flexibility of the hamstrings, back and chest.
  • tri10806
    tri10806 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I think the dive bomber works the same muscles as a standard push up, but it also increases flexibility of the hamstrings, back and chest.
    I think they work more into the shoulder as well. I first started doing them in P90X. great exercise. They put a strain on your shoulder joint if you don't position your hands just right.