HELP!!!!! Tummy exercising problems

So I have been working out for almost two months (woot woot) and my core area is beging to show signs of shrinking along my love handles but my tummy looks likes it's getting bigger and sticking further out. Am I doing something wrong or does it look like this for a while and then begin to shrink too. I'm afraid I might have done my crunches wrong the first month and it started forming wrong and that's the problem

Replies

• peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    I can't tell if you're trolling on the 'forming wrong' part.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Hardly doubt you've formed wrong. Not sure how many ways there are to do crunches, but 2 months will not cause issue.

You need to change up your exercises to engage your core to focus on all muscle areas. Crunches only work a very small portion of the abs. Additionally, if your love handles have shrunk and the waist line has shrunk it may look like your belly is bigger, but its not....its the other areas have gotten smaller. Depending on your food and sodium intake as well as "bathroom" usage....may make your belly "stick out" a bit.

Try:

Leg Lifts
    Side bends
    Bicycles
    Mason Twists
    Scissor kicks
    Planks
    Push ups
    Squats

These all will engage your core and work a lot more muscle groups.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    thanks for that response. I have the same issue right now. my tummy looks larger then it was and it makes me sad.... i am doing 30ds again right now hopefully trying to help it but i don't want to have to do that for the rest of my life, if you know what i mean.....
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    This is to be expected. Remember, there is a layer of fat over your abs, as you work the abs it will push the fat out. As you lose fat, it will come off and your stomach will get flat. Just keep going, and keep losing fat. It will take time
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    thx for that, makes me feel a bit better.... i am doing 30ds right now for the 2nd time and hubby said yesterday that it looks like i have gained some weight back... but i haven't! so i said what makes you think that, he said you tummy looks bigger and is sticking out a lot more:( so it made me think? am i doing something wrong or what?
  • AshleyLo_44
    AshleyLo_44 Posts: 206 Member
    Lol k I do all of those but the first month it was mainly only crunches and I realized I was only focusing on one area of my core and have added in so much core work outs. I just really want to know if it's normal for my stomach to do this shrinking on the sides and sticking out in the front.
  • AshleyLo_44
    AshleyLo_44 Posts: 206 Member
    Thanks RH Sheetz
  • srhershey
    srhershey Posts: 181 Member
    My stomach has looked like it's shrinking on the sides too, kind of like I'm losing my belly from the outsides and it's working it's way to the middle of my stomach. One thing I remember hearing on one of my workout tapes, and this was about 5+ years ago, is that when you do any type of ab workouts, pull your stomach in towards your back. Every time you come up to do a crunch, your stomach needs to be sucked in with your belly button pulled towards your back.
  • bump