A Question about HIIT

Options
Hey everyone, I keep hearing about high intensity interval training, and I'm wondering if there's a specific amount of time to do the high intensity bouts and recover periods?

I usually just run steady and moderate jog for about 20-25 minutes (2.2 miles), but I had gotten off track of my exercise regime and now I can only run for about 16 minutes, however I'm slowly building it up until I reach 20 again.

Anyways, I've read a lot about HIIT and it gets your heart rate up much better and is an overall better workout without being time consuming! Plus it makes it less boring/tedious.

My question is, is there a "right way to do it? I run outside and I played around with it a bit this morning, I basically was like "okay, now run faster till the end of the block" and then I'd decrease my pace and count to 15 seconds in my head, then go faster till I get to a car in the distance, then I'd give myself 15 seconds to jog slower, then I went for 30 seconds really fast, then I went slow for a minute, then I walked, then I jogged for 1 min.

Does that sound right, like you just constantly fluctuate your pace?

Replies

• FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    HIIT involves bouts of 90-95% intensity with periods of low-moderate intensity. While there is no set time limit, if you're going for much longer than 20-30 seconds, you're not at 90% intensity. People sometimes confuse doing any kind of intervals with HIIT.

Honestly, if you can only run for 16 minutes, I would recommend working on basic cardio fitness before you jump in to HIIT.