Stronger than the guys in the gym!

Options
LizL217
LizL217 Posts: 217 Member
I had one victory after another at the gym last night.

First I got on the leg press machine after a guy and had to adjust the weight heavier. I'm pressing more than my body weight now, which feels pretty great, and as I completed my reps I looked at my strong legs and thought "yeah, I'm stronger than that guy".

Then I saw a guy doing the P90x ab ripper workout (my favorite ab workout), and his form was pathetic. Knees bent all over the place, couldn't touch his toes... So I did the ab ripper workout and nailed it. And I thought "yeah, I'm stronger than THAT guy".

Then I moved on to my chest and back workout and there was a group of young dudes all socializing and trying to show off in front of each other. They'd pick up their little 15 pound weights and do a few shoulder presses while I was using 25 pounders. They'd do one push up and I'd do 10 sets of 15 push ups. And I thought "yeah, I'm stronger than THOSE guys".

I know I shouldn't worry about what other people are doing and I should just worry about my own progress, but man, sometimes it feels really good to know you're stronger than the guys in the gym.

Replies

• coolvstar650
    coolvstar650 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post, that really encourages me to keep going and dig deeper with my Kettlebell routine. Have a wonderful day!
  • carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    that would be an awesome feeling! And hey, whatever it takes to keep you going and feeling great... They're there to show off and you're there to do some real work.
  • aemoomoo
    aemoomoo Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!!!
  • girish_ph
    girish_ph Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    My God! You have got me all inspired.
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    This is awesome! Great job! :drinker:
  • jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229
    Options
    Lol you must go to a planet fitness.
  • jos05
    jos05 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I love posts like this!!! Seems like that's all I ever see at my gym...dudes socializing. Or sitting on the machines while I am waiting to use them...
    I am serious and I love to hear about other women being serious about their goals!!!

NOTHING LIKE BEING STRONGER THAN THE GUYS!!! I can't wait to be able to put up those kinds of weights...I've got a ways to go...but I'm inspired by your ability!!! :)
  • youcandooeet
    youcandooeet Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I love that feeling!
  • deviantcupcake
    deviantcupcake Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    That's great!

Back when I had gym membership, I'd see all the meathead morons (only way to describe most of them, I'm afraid) in their little weights corner, all with terrible form. Most of the time they were clearly using weights that were too heavy because they weren't capable of maintaining good form at all.
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    HAHAHA THIS is awesome!!! Fantastic work!! xx
  • lcallbaugh
    Options
    Don't apolgize. Enjoy it! You've obviously worked hard. I love to see women wanting to get strong and you are clearly there! WTG!!!!!!
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Here's what Mom told me as a kid - there will always be someone stronger or weaker that you.

Maybe it's just me, but If I see a person unable to do a pull-up, I don't think "ha ha, I can do an entire set, you wimp", I think "keep trying!"

Maybe I just need to be meaner.
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Great work! It does feel amazing when you see your accomplishments so strongly! I work with a trainer and he almost gets more excited about me surpassing the guys than I am. LOL Hat's off to you! :drinker:
  • theresmynapkin
    theresmynapkin Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I was using 20lbs and a guy next to me yesterday was using 15, did less reps than me, and looked like he was struggling more. I felt a little proud of myself but I also felt proud of him for being there :)
  • EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Scorpio?
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I don't feel the need to compete with anyone but me. However, I'm stronger than some people and weaker than others. There's always room for improvement IMO.

The dumbbells in my profile pic are 20 lbs. each and that pic was taken just yesterday as I was doing my upper body workout so according to you...I'm weak. I don't feel weak and don't believe I look weak. Just sayin'.
  • marrizia
    marrizia Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Love it! I am so glad there are other women who feel this way :)
    I always get a secret thrill when I can do more than the guys... it doesn't happen for me with the upper body, but the legs- oh yeah!!!
    More power to you!
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Good for you, congratulations on all of your hard work!
  • ravihira1892
    Options
    Congratulations on your lifting, but keep in mind sometimes people use light weights intentionally. Sometimes I squat with just the bar, which is 45lbs.

^^ I agree with this too, i intentionally lift just the bar to warm up/practice form/recover etc.

Luckily it doesn't bother me if the person next to me is stronger because gym time is ME time, headphones + gym = my world. :)

Congrats on the success though you should be truly proud of yourself for the dedication which is finally paying off!
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I love this too! Being strong is sooooo awesome!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!