Squats on a Knee Injury

Options
2»

Replies

• jmsteve45
    Options
    Last year I tore my meniscus and strained my ACL. The ACL healed on its own, but i needed surgery to repair the meniscus in December. The surgery was sucessful, but my knee still bothered me when running and definitely after squatting. Over time the discomfort eased as my leg muscles got stronger from squatting, but was still there. I bought some TK knee braces off of ebay about a month ago. Now I'm able to lift heavier without any discomfort and in the process my leg muscles are getting stronger which will hopefully help to prevent further injury. I said all that to say, TRY KNEE BRACES...

What structure are the braces you bought? I find the fabric ones are either too loose or too tight, no middle. I have one with metal joints on the side, but it makes it quite difficult for me to move below 90 degrees.

They're the fabric ones. Suprisingly, they're not too tight and don't move around either. These were made by a former Mr. Olympia for the specific purpose of squatting. They keep the knees warm (you'll notice your kness sweating when you take them off) and promote good circulation. I've had the hindged brace as well but it didn't work not one bit. If you do get the TK braces, just be sure to follow the sizing instructions which are pretty straight forward.
  • jplucheck
    jplucheck Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    U can do any exercise in a pool, takes all the pressure off the joints with all the same benefit!
  • 1973CJ5
    1973CJ5 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have had many knee and ankle injuries over the years. I find that I have to play with my foot and toe placements to find a stance that works and that I can tolerate.

Try changing your width, toes pointed more out or forward, etc.

I also find that a very thorough warm up helps keep the pain away. I usually walk on the treadmills for 15-20 minutes and then do some stretching, extension and curls.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I have actually found leg extensions to make my knee worse, and I read it was because having the weight around your ankle puts more torque on your knee joint.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I have actually found leg extensions to make my knee worse, and I read it was because having the weight around your ankle puts more torque on your knee joint.

That would make sense.

I feel like squatting underwater would be pointless for my goals, but thanks. I'll look into the TK braces and try changing the placement of my feet.

Thanks for all the help!
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    You are very welcome! I know how much knee injuries suck, since I'm currently dealing with it. LOL