How to jog properly?

Options
2»

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Or if you find that your shoes are fine, try doing exercises that are designed to prevent shin splints. My friend started these and her problems went away.

Samples:
    http://foothealth.about.com/b/2008/05/14/9-exercises-to-help-prevent-shin-splints.htm
  • StevenDial
    StevenDial Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tamtamzz
    tamtamzz Posts: 142
    Options
    Sounds like you're over striding. Is your stride super long? Are you landing on your heel or close to it? If you have a long, loping gait your shins are going to hurt, then eventually your knees. Shorten your stride, and I bet it will get better. Practice marching in place. This is how your feet should hit the ground.

Running shoes will not compensate for bad form.

I have Brooks Switch 4. I have a pretty high arch, so they are good for that. I have no problems at all.
  • risak
    risak Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to jog but I tend to get shin splints, when I try. I've been walking about 4 miles a day since June and have lost over 20 pounds. I decided I wanted to try my hand at jogging again. I walk a little then I jog a lap, etc. But I noticed yesterday that my shins were beginning to hurt a little again. Is that normal? What am I doing wrong?

I suppose it could be your shoes, but I'll give you my experience.

My husband and I adopted a dog that we knew would need at least 3 miles a day of walking. And by walking I mean 3.5 - 4.0 mph. The first year we got such bad shin splints at times I thought my shins were going fall off. It was pretty painful. I can't remember the moment when they stopped but after a while they did stop. And now I can't even get them if I try. It used to happen to me before the dog when I would walk on a high incline, about 3.5 mph on the treadmill.
  • likeswhiskey
    Options
    Could be your shoes, or just trying to do too much too soon? I've always been a walker - could walk, and walk fast, all day long. Running was another story. I used the c25K program - builds you up slowly and worked great for me!

I also recommend C25K. I'm on it now and I'm up to running 5m and 3m intervals with walking in between.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Yup, get fitted for a shoe! There are stores that put you on a treadmill and watch your gate, etc. Within each brand (Nike, Adida, Asics) there are different types of shoes... stability, cushioned, etc. So, you need to find out the TYPE of shoe you need, and then try on that type in a few different brands to see what feels best to you.

I need a stability shoe and tried on Nike, Brooks, Adidas, etc. But, found that the Asics Kayano (lots of cushion and stability) feels best to me. When my shins start to hurt after a run, I know that it's time to retire my shoes and get new ones.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Definitely go to a running store and get your stride evaluated and the proper shoes.

Also, try changing your stride and lightening it. My husband gets shin splints all the time and I can tell you why. When we run together, I have a light stride (like a ninja); he clomps. That's a lot of impact on your bones. Your not stomping, so try to keep your stride light; it takes a lot of practice, but try it. And when you move from walking to running or jogging go in intervals to start to get used to it (say 5 minute walk, 1 minute light job, 5 minute walk 1 minute elevated jog, 5 minute walk, 1 minute light jog, 5 minute walk, 1 minute elevated jog; run through as many cycles as you wish for your total workout). You can pick up a cheap plastic stop watch at any sports store.

Also a check out:

http://www.chirunning.com/blog/entry/body-sensing/
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    there is a shin muscle strengthening exercise lay on your stomach on the bed with you feet just hanging off the edge and press the front of your feet into the matress
  • Valissa47
    Valissa47 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Wow, I wasn't expecting to receive such an overflow of wisdom. You guys are great! Thank you so much. I will look into being fitted for shoes and my form needs to be improved based on what I've read. I do have a low arch that tends to fall when I go too long without wearing shoes with an arch in them. But I have another question, I prefer to walk for awhile before I begin to run just to warm my legs up. Can I use the running shoes to walk in as well? Might be a silly question but I don't know...all this is new to me. :-)
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    I have fallen arches. I was having some problems with shin splints (but only on right side). I was going to try the motion control sneakers but decided to go the cheap route first (and the NOW route) and put my old arch supports in my running shoes. My shins are feeling almost 100% better and it's been less than a week. Right before I put the arch supports in, I tried to pay attention and noticed that I could feel my arches rising and falling with every step that I took. I walk to warm up and cool down and use the same shoes. If I'm just going for a walk, I will put on other sneakers to prolong the life of my running shoes.
  • chubtofit
    chubtofit Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have also recently started running/jogging and suffered with shin splints initially. I did find some good shin stretches online (there aren't too many as its a difficult area to work). Also as others have mentioned, get someone to check both your feet and your form. I used to be a heel striker but now that I've learned to land mid-foot, the shin splints have disappeared. Try running barefoot and see/feel how your foot lands and then try the same form with shoes on. It is almost impossible to heel strike when you are barefoot but unfortunately with the way shoes are designed for most people - you heel strike without realizing it. Also, make sure you are really warmed up first. Good luck...and it does get easier.
  • Peeriegemgem
    Options
    I suffered really badly with shin splints. In the first case I was being "cheap" and bought insoles for my existing trainers. They did ease the problem somewhat!

More recently took the time to go to a proper running shop and get my gait recorded on the treadmill. Its amazing to see how your feet land, and it was no surprise why my right leg was really far worse than the left. I now have Nike Fitsoles, and these have a cushioned lump to help me land more flat footed and not over pronate. The only issue I've had with these is very blistered feet due to the extra bit in the shoe - I should have invested in anti-blister socks - so would recommend this!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    What is the best running shoe in your opinion?

Everyone is different. I have Asics but they may not be right for you or the next person. Best thing I ever did, find the running store guy who let me try on 25 pairs of sneakers until I found the ones that worked best for me.

^THIS. Go to a store that specializes in running shoes and get fitted. Try on a bunch and let them see you walk in them. You'll probably try on some brands you've never heard of, and they may be a bit pricey, but they'll do you better than doing what I would do otherwise, which is walk into Kohl's and pick out the prettiest pair that feels comfy and doesn't cost too much!

I ended up deciding between Brooks and Newtons and went with Newtons.

Also, don't wear your running sneakers when you're not running (or walking for exercise). I have a cheapie, cute pair of sneakers for non-running, "out-and-about" use.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    One more thing: The folks at the running shoe store may help you with orthotics, too, which is good because your feet likely aren't the same. I have a really low arch on my right foot and a normal one on my left, so I wear an orthotic insert in my right shoe but not my left. (Unfortunately they are not sold separately!)

Oh, and I sort of answered your follow-up question (not a stupid question, either!), but to clarify, if you are walking to warm up to jogging, you should definitely wear your running shoes. I always approach my runs with a warm-up walk (and a cool-down walk); every runner should be doing some sort of warm-up. I also take fast-walking breaks during my runs, but the more breaks I take, the more I stretch out my run :wink: