Starting to exercise, should I expect a weight gain?

Options
I started losing weight on Aug. 1st and have lost around 9/10 lbs in these 3 weeks. However, I did so without exercise because I have had a nasty cough and cold so exercise was pretty difficult (and I was too lazy to do even small things lol)

Now that my sickness is almost gone, I am going to start going to the gym regularly starting tomorrow. Should I expect and initial weightloss in the next 1 or 2 weeks because I am just beginning to exercise? I heard that your body retains water or something like that when you first start out. I'm fine with it as I will lose more weight in the long run but I am just curious!

Just in case this helps to answer my question...
I am female, 5'3".
SW: 149.5
CW: 140
GW: 120

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You may, more if strength training. Muscles tend to store water when being worked differently than normal. This helps protect them and aid in recovery. If you do gain anything don't fret, it is just water weight.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can retain water. I think it's a couple of pounds. It's ok. It's a repair mechanism your body uses.
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    You may have a small weight gain, but just make sure to drink lots of water. It's temporary.
  • Arrabindi
    Arrabindi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You might, because your muscles will need to retain water and glycogen, but you definitely won't be gaining fat. What you should do is to take your measurements as well, as this is likely where you'll first see a difference.
  • trkilpatrick
    trkilpatrick Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am certainly not an expert but when i started to work out again, i retained water so i gained a pound or two but also, you may not see losses right away because you should be putting on muscle. I don't think that you would gain a whole lot. probably about as much as you fluctuate over several days anyway.
  • peachblush
    Options
    Yes, because muscle gainage:) Good luck:)
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    It's definitely possible! As above people said, muscles retaining water blahdy blah blah... anyways, if I were you I'd take measurements before you start so that even if the scale is being an *kitten* you can see your progress :)
  • 115perfection
    115perfection Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Yes, because muscle gainage:) Good luck:)

Not this. it is just water weight