Strength training and lifting with bad back

Options
I have damaged discs in my back and periodically they flare up badly. At the moment everything is great but I need to be very careful. I swim hard 3-4x a week at least 60 laps each time. But I want to make a little more muscle too, however I do lifting when I do my mucking out of my ponies and even that can trigger my back. So my question is what if anything can I do? I don't want to make my back worse!!!

Replies

• McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    id suggest talking to a doctor/physical therapist, and see if yoga is an option for you.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I would start by going to your doctor and talking to him/her about it and see what they recommend. Not a good idea to post a medical question on an internet website looking for the right answer on what to do.
  • jenaissance
    jenaissance Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    definitely talk to your doc. before you do anything. You may be able to do more than you think though! I have two herniated discs, a pinched sciatic nerve and atrophied muscles around my spine; I also do crossfit and lift heavy 5x week :) I have to be extra super careful about my form, and there are definitely some things I just cannot do (sit ups, etc) but I'm amazed at how much better/stronger my back is now. I still have pain every day, and occassional flare ups, but I have a lot more mobility now.