how much is to much?

Options
Ok so I've heard of overtraining, and I think I have been guilty of it on several occasions. Now as I am in the last two weeks of my self proclaimed challenge and am trying to do all I can.... I ask how much Cardio is to much? Or is there even such a thing as to much Cardio?

Right now my goal is to burn 1500 calories a day and most of that comes from cardio. I'll do 45 minutes first thing in the morning 15-25 minutes at lunch. I hit the gym and lift heavy then I'll finish off the rest of my calories with more cardio before bed......

Just to wake up in less than 8 hours and start over again........

Replies

• Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Unless you are training for a marathon or some other race, I think that 1500 a day is too much.

I do cardio every day, but I aim for 200-400 calories burned from cardio depending on day and then mix in strength. I do my strength days on the low cardio days.

In a nutshell I alternate the following with days. Keep in mind I also switch up "strength" each time it comes up to allow for rest, so one day it will be upper body then 2 days later it will be lower and so on.

60 min cardio
    15 min cardio, 45 min strength
  • EllaNovella
    Options
    :noway:

I think if I were you I'd be dead already :P It's overdoing it a bit methinks... maybe stop at 600/800 calories?
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Ok so I've heard of overtraining, and I think I have been guilty of it on several occasions. Now as I am in the last two weeks of my self proclaimed challenge and am trying to do all I can.... I ask how much Cardio is to much? Or is there even such a thing as to much Cardio?

Right now my goal is to burn 1500 calories a day and most of that comes from cardio. I'll do 45 minutes first thing in the morning 15-25 minutes at lunch. I hit the gym and lift heavy then I'll finish off the rest of my calories with more cardio before bed......

You need to respond to your body properly to ensure that you don't injure yourself. If you are doing something low impact it should be fine, but why are you doing this? Is it for weight loss or fitness? According to your ticker you have 35 lbs to lose total and are 10 lbs into it. That much cardio isn't necessary unless you want to do it?
  • Briski1411
    Briski1411 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I get stuck often. I have been at 200 or -10 for 3-4 weeks now so I am adding more cardio to try and get pass this hurdle. Or maybe I'm just adding so much muscle it is replacing the fat. Yes I really would like to weigh less but the longer this takes and the better I look really makes me wonder if that number is worth anything....... Well to me it might be? I have lost several inches and I am also buying smaller clothes now to fit my new shape. So why do I keep pushing so hard because I have not reached my goal!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

That is quite high, I usually burn 120-350 cals depending on my exercise of the day.

OP, how much do you eat if you burn that much?
  • erickirb
    Options
    I get stuck often. I have been at 200 or -10 for 3-4 weeks now so I am adding more cardio to try and get pass this hurdle. Or maybe I'm just adding so much muscle it is replacing the fat. Yes I really would like to weigh less but the longer this takes and the better I look really makes me wonder if that number is worth anything....... Well to me it might be? I have lost several inches and I am also buying smaller clothes now to fit my new shape. So why do I keep pushing so hard because I have not reached my goal!

If you are in a deficit, the chances of adding muscle is very slim. People tend to lose muscle as they lose weight, not gain it.

I would suggest changing your goal to lose no more than 1 lb/week and eat back all of the calories you burn from exercise. So adding more cardio would just lead to having to eat more. If anything I would say cut back on the cardio and use the energy to repair the muscles from the strength training instead.
  • Briski1411
    Options
    I rarely eat back all of my calories! That is just to much food.
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I know I overtrain and sometimes we becoming training addicts! You maybe are not eating enough calories for that kind of burn? But if you are seeing results in your clothes then that really is your true indicator. I have been at this for 3 months only lost 10lbs & was really frustrated until I realized in that short time I went from a size 12 (almost 14) to a size 6. I am lean and have some nice pipes from all this hard work, if I do say so myself. :smile: So take it a little easier bud!
  • erickirb
    Options
    I rarely eat back all of my calories! That is just to much food.

Then I suggest cutting your workouts way back. If you don't fuel your body for your workouts bad things can happen over the long med to long term.
  • samlankford
    Options
    your dropping body fat and it is being replaced with muscle... 1 lb of muscle weighs exactly the same amount at 1lb of fat, but muscle looks so much different thus giving the appearance of being thinner.. I know you want to weigh less but I really thing your over doing it... take body measurements like once a month... just eat right, get enough sleep... I usually do about 25-30 mins of stair running and 30 mins of walking in the parking garage at work then pop in whatever one of the asylum (insanity) dvds... daily calorie burn (polar heart rate monito with chest strap) is around 800-1000...
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I consider anything more than an hour and a half a day of cardio as too much, but on weekends I will do a 2 or 3 hour run/jog so Im a godsdamn hypocrite.

but yeah- during the week - i keep my cardio to a minimum - like 45-60 minutes every other day.
  • redsoxy
    redsoxy Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I ask myself this ALL the time! I usually burn 700 to 1000 cals a day and only eat back about half. I do 30 to 45 min circuit training, 30 min straight cardido and 45 min of lifting on a typical day...spread out into a morning and evening workout.
    I have yet to find the right balance....I've been stuck at the same weight for MONTHS and nothing I do seems to matter.
    So for now....I stick with my "over training" and just be careful to listen to my body to prevent injury and fatigue.

I think at some point my body will stop revolting and respond appropriately! Good luck !!
  • Briski1411
    Options
    I am over due for my measurements, but as of 3-4 weeks ago I had lost 8.5 inches. I am buying new clothes now, I'm just getting to tired of the Huge 38 inch pants. I bought 34's over the weekend. ........................................................................................

Yoovie and Redsoxy only you personally truly understand how much work it takes to have a body like that!! But I'm tryin and one of these days maybe I too will get where I want to be..

yes 1 pound of feathers weighs the same as 1 pound of steal, but the composition is extremely different. I do need to post new pics but I am waiting until Labor Day. Maybe then everyone will see the hard work I am putting forth.