How many of you....

Options
RGv2
RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
are those people that come to the gym, turn the industrial fan by the cardio equipment on "hurricaine", and begin working out?

Pet Peeve, especailly when the temp in the gym is below 65 already....

Replies

• McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    never, it's to cold in my gym as it is.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I would be one of those if my gym had one of those...I love a fan while working out....some of the treadmills have those built in fans, but they are more like "light breeze" rather then hurricane. I wish we had those gigantic fans.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I only do it when I'm doing cardio, but I always ask the others if it's ok first. More often than not, there's no one else on the treadmill so it doesn't matter. At the *other* gym I go to they really need to invest in some of those fans! Seriously, it is so effin' hot in there that I have to bring a personal battery operated fan to set on the treadmill or I will die of heat exhaustion. :blushing:
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I don't like the hurricane fans either, but different strokes...
  • RGv2
    Options
    I guess I don't get it. Don't you want to sweat? The best shape that I have been in, in about 10 years, was the workouts I was getting in the summer before the gym had A/C.
  • lilmisfit
    Options
    I'm still burning calories, regardless of whether I'm soaking wet or not. To be honest, I get heat exhaustion rather easily, so it's best for me to remain cool as opposed to overheat and pass out/vomit at the gym.
  • RGv2
    Options
    Different strokes I gues....It's already 60-65 in there. Didn't know it needed to be 50.
  • lilmisfit
    Options
    It's not cold in my gym at all.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    fan?

i run outside, the wind is my fan. chances are i cant work the one on the machines. i only know how to quick start and raise my speed.
  • djtessatessa
    djtessatessa Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    note: having air blowing does not lower the air temperature it moves it around
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I work out at home in front of the A/C. I still sweat plenty.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    are those people that come to the gym, turn the industrial fan by the cardio equipment on "hurricaine", and begin working out?

Pet Peeve, especailly when the temp in the gym is below 65 already....
    If I had that option, I would. I sweat buckets in nothing but a sports bra and shorts doing yoga in an air-conditioned room under a fan, so yeah, 65 degrees isn't cold enough to keep my comfortable.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    60-65 degrees in the gym? I wish. I am sweating after my warm up and over heating after I start running. One set of treadmills have the personal fans on them. If I use those, I angle them to hit my face but no gym I have ever belonged to has been 65 degrees...
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    at my old gym i never turned the fan on no matter how hot it got inside - i couldn't reach it. LOL
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    What gyms are you people working out in where it's actually cold in the gym?
  • scottstephens79
    scottstephens79 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    When I used to go to a gym I would want a fan on. Its hard for me to muster any energy to work out harder when I'm already hot and sweaty after 15 mins. If I have a cool breeze, I can keep the pace up for an hour.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    60-65 degrees in the gym? I wish. I am sweating after my warm up and over heating after I start running. One set of treadmills have the personal fans on them. If I use those, I angle them to hit my face but no gym I have ever belonged to has been 65 degrees...

This. It's usually as warm in the gym, or warmer if it's got a lot of people in it, than it is outside. I roast in the gym and it actually makes it difficult to try to work on pace while running since it's so danged hot. If my gym were kept at 65 degrees I'd be thrilled since I do my best running at temps between 55-65 degrees.
  • LBPerkins
    LBPerkins Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My spin class is hot...the sweat pours down my face so much i can't see...thank goodness the fan helps a little...
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Meeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My gym is not cool at all. It's like a sauna. I was just saying that if it WAS that cold, I'd still like having a fan.

My friend says they keep it that warm and humid to help loosen up muscles, but I sure as heck don't notice a difference. I hate it. Like someone above said, it it's cool and dry, I can work out longer and harder. I only use the gym for weights and that's a big part of why.