How many of you....

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Well....It was 51 degrees when I went to they gym this morning. I couldn't tell the difference in temp from inside and out. 65 degrees, with the place packed, is quite do able.

The warmest I have EVER seen it, in the afternoon, in the summer...74.

I've seen one person let me know a viable reason why.
  • RGv2
    My gym is not cool at all. It's like a sauna. I was just saying that if it WAS that cold, I'd still like having a fan.

My friend says they keep it that warm and humid to help loosen up muscles, but I sure as heck don't notice a difference. I hate it. Like someone above said, it it's cool and dry, I can work out longer and harder. I only use the gym for weights and that's a big part of why.

Imagine getting your workout to the point where you can do it when it's warm...kind of my point.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Well....It was 51 degrees when I went to they gym this morning. I couldn't tell the difference in temp from inside and out. 65 degrees, with the place packed, is quite do able.

It's doable to YOU. Once I get moving, I heat up very quickly.

Just because you're comfortable doesn't mean everyone is. Do you accost your fellow gym-goers with this question? I wouldn't give you an answer, either.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    note: having air blowing does not lower the air temperature it moves it around
    Just my thought...
    I'd hate it if someone smelly did this though (whether it is BO, or Chanel).
    Since I run outside, there is no switch, just my speed and whatever the weather decides....
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    My gym is not cool at all. It's like a sauna. I was just saying that if it WAS that cold, I'd still like having a fan.

My friend says they keep it that warm and humid to help loosen up muscles, but I sure as heck don't notice a difference. I hate it. Like someone above said, it it's cool and dry, I can work out longer and harder. I only use the gym for weights and that's a big part of why.

Imagine getting your workout to the point where you can do it when it's warm...kind of my point.

Dude, I can do a 10-mile walk/jog in July in Florida. I CAN do it. But it's uncomfortable and I have sweat pouring into my eyes and I don't like it.

MYOB

Just because you don't like it doesn't make it wrong. Get over yourself.
  • splashangel
    splashangel Posts: 494 Member
    I work out in a metal shed. In Florida. No Electric. I don't even have a tree near it. But I work out.
  • RGv2

It's doable to YOU. Once I get moving, I heat up very quickly.

Just because you're comfortable doesn't mean everyone is. Do you accost your fellow gym-goers with this question? I wouldn't give you an answer, either.

I wasn't aware asking a question was "accosting". I was actually asked by a fan user at the gym how to get better results. I stated "turn the fan off for a week". She in turn "I can't". I said "OK, but I'd try it" She tried it for a week, and had her best results. Hasn't touched it since then.
  • HeatherLynnO
    HeatherLynnO Posts: 20 Member
    :huh:
  • RGv2
    Just because you don't like it doesn't make it wrong. Get over yourself.

I LOL'd.

Get over myself because I asked a question.
  • virichi08
    virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
    I sweat SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much when i workout so i hate wen someone turns the fan on because i end up sweating still and feeling super cold!
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    NEVER EVER EVER...isn't the whole point of working out to sweat?

Our gym is always FREEZING and I have actually asked them to make it warmer. (I have a neck injury and when I get all sweaty and then stop whatever I am doing, it causes my muscles to spasm and tense up.)

I'll even go over and turn off the overhead fans!

It is hard on your muscles to sweat and then cool it down with fans instead of letting your body do it naturally. Its too quick.

(there, that's my 2 cents worth!)
  • RGv2

Our gym is always FREEZING and I have actually asked them to make it warmer. (I have a neck injury and when I get all sweaty and then stop whatever I am doing, it causes my muscles to spasm and tense up.)

It is hard on your muscles to sweat and then cool it down with fans instead of letting your body do it naturally. Its too quick.

Agreed.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    They're usually already on because my gym has piss-poor A/C. It's always so dang hot in there. Like oppressively hot. I haven't even started working out, and I'm glistening.
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    I had to since my gym didn't have A/C. And I couldn't use the ones in the treadmills or bikes because apparently I'm too short and they didn't even blow on my head hahahah!!!!
  • michelejoann
    michelejoann Posts: 295 Member
    I could be walking in a chilly 65 degree day with a hoodie and yoga pants, and still need to pull off said hoodie because I get flushed and warm. I prefer to have an A/C or fan cooling down the air especially when I'm doing Zumba -- that sweat gets in my eyes and if I have a bit of mascara on from work (because I don't have the time to take my make up off completely after work!) it burns! The air helps to evaporate the sweat!
  • pittskaa
    pittskaa Posts: 319 Member
    at my gym they have central air constantly going and i would say its around 60 in there. i love it.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    That would be me if I went to a gym.

I used to go to a boxing gym and when the huge industrial fan was brought out I would always choose the punching bag closest to it.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    I guess I don't get it. Don't you want to sweat? The best shape that I have been in, in about 10 years, was the workouts I was getting in the summer before the gym had A/C.

I still sweat buckets with a fan and the Central air on.
  • RGv2

This is my main deal. I'm outside now, but I'm usually the first person into the gym in the winter and 20+ minutes deep in my cardio when the next person shows. I liken it to turning the A/C to 65, setting up a fan in the hallway, taking a hot shower, and then running in front of the fan and trying to keep warm.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    I guess when it's 115 degrees outside for three months straight and you can't tell the difference between outside and the gym I have a problem with it. I don't mind sweating. Actually, I love sweating when working out. I get overheated very easily and have had to cut workouts at the gym short because of it. Everyone's body reacts differently to heat and cold and the gym, like pretty much everything else, cannot please everyone all the time.