Shin Splints with 30 Day Shred?

Options
Darn it all!! I'm on my 2nd attempt with 30 DS. I stopped the first time because I thought I messed up my ankle/shin doing the side lunge with the arm extensions wrong. After about 8-10 days, my leg felt better - I could walk without limping. I restarted Shred, and after day 5, I'm getting that same leg pain again.

I was describing where and how it hurt to a co worker and she said it sounded like shin splints! What move could have caused that? I noticed that my leg was starting to get sore in the same area (along the leg between my inside ankle and knee...not quite all the way up to the knee though) even before we got to the side lunge move, so it must not have been that move that caused the injury.

I was so enjoying 30DS, and I want to restart...hopefully since I took today off, before the pain got as bad as it did last time - I will be able to go at it again tomorrow.

Anyone else experience this? How did you correct it?

Replies

• ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I got them so bad I had to quit in day 3. I could not walk, no matter how much stretching I did I couldn't get rid of them. I had to take almost a full week off working out!
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i got massive pains in my shins and calves but i just put this down to the exercise working my muscles and i just powered though it and after day 4 i dont feel it anymore.

If you think there may be an actual problem there then i suggest seeing your doctor before continuing your shred.
  • crystal10584
    Options
    do you have cross trainers or running shoes? maybe you aren't getting all the foot support you need inside your shoes? i exercise barefoot at home on plush carpet and that seems to kill any shin pain I get. :)
  • diverchic73
    diverchic73 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm prone to shin splints and find that taping helps support when they hit.

http://www.return2fitness.co.uk/injury_advice/strapping_taping/shin_splints_taping.php
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    my pain is in my upper thigh muscles its hard to walk I cannot do it 2 days in a row! maybe Im doing something wrong.
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I got the same thing with 30DS (shin splints) and I noticed it was cause of all the jumping and pressure on my legs. I stopped because of it and started it up again about a month but had to stop in between cause I got shin splints again.. not only cause of Jillians dvd but I was also doing another workout that had jumping in it. Let it heal before trying to put more stress on it.. it'll just get worse. You can put an ice pack to help with the inflammation.
  • nicolepope11
    Options
    Try getting better shoes. Good support helps with shin problems. Ice them too! It helps the swelling go down (there is minor swelling even if you don't see it).
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I get shin splints pretty often from running/soccer. The only thing that helps is to take time off, or if you wanna keep going, ice them after excercise.
  • tjsechrist
    Options
    Ice & elevate everyday after your work out. 800mg of Motrin. I had them in high school. Every year during basketbal I would get them. I had to have my shins & ankles wrapped everyday before practice or games.
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    The jumping is what gives me shin splints. I just lowered the intensity in the beginning and GRADUALLY increased it until I could jump without pain. You can still do Jillian without all the jumping by keeping one foot on the floor. And the strength training with weights wouldn't hurt your legs, nor the abs, so you could do those parts too.
  • joec53
    joec53 Posts: 8
    Options
    I used to get bad shin splints when I would run a lot I found the best way to get rid of them is to stretch your calves and also buy high end new balance sneakers like the 992 model they are expensive but it worked for me.
  • diverchic73
    diverchic73 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Hi, the shin splints are caused by the sudden increase in activity so building up gradually or giving more support by taping, proper shoes, etc should all help reduce them / keep them away
  • LORR79
    LORR79 Posts: 55
    Options
    I just got the 30 Day Shred and in my opinion the warm up is totally inadequate.

I tend to get knee problems with anything too high impact or if I do lunges and squats anyway so I warm up on a mini exercise trampoline before doing anything like that as it doesnt put impact on the joints.

I'm on day 3 of the shred and so far I've had no soreness other than in my muscles which is to be expected and hopefully will be worth it :smile:

I go on the trampoline for 20/30 minutes and jog and thats me gettin more cardio in too.
  • rebecky27
    rebecky27 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    It probably doesn't help that I do the 30DS first thing in the morning, litterally 15 mins after I wake up. The warm up really doesn't do much for the legs.

I just bought expenisve shoes for Zumba, and cannot justify buying another expensive pair. I leave my Zumba shoes in the car so I'll just start using those for 30DS too..not sure how they'll work on carpet, but the support I get from them for Zumba is great! I have been using my NB Cross-Trainers for the 30DS, but they are over a year old....

Not sure what some of you mean by "taping up" your leg. Do you mean with an ace bandage? Just wrapping from bottom of my foot to my knee?

Edited to add: "Thanks all for the advice so far!!!!!! :happy:
  • legalelliot
    Options
    Shin splints is primarily an overuse injury - too much too soon. This will happen with programs like the 30 day shred. As others have mentioned, a good pair of shoes will help reduce the onset of shin splints. It would be a good idea to go to your local running store and get fitted for a pair of shoes. I know it sounds weird, but each foot is different and some styles of shoes do not compliment people that pronate, suppinate, have high arches, flat feet, etc. Your local running store will know what to look for as they analyze your gate.

There are several massagers designed for shin splints - they are worth a look; however, the best remedy is to easy off the activity and try to start up slowly once you are ready to resume.

I hope this helps.
  • rebecky27
    rebecky27 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I'm prone to shin splints and find that taping helps support when they hit.

http://www.return2fitness.co.uk/injury_advice/strapping_taping/shin_splints_taping.php

I tried your link, but it's blocked from my work puter. :ohwell: I'll check it out when I go home! Thanks
  • PixEm
    PixEm Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    do you have cross trainers or running shoes? maybe you aren't getting all the foot support you need inside your shoes? i exercise barefoot at home on plush carpet and that seems to kill any shin pain I get. :)

I think I may try this tonight. i am having shin splint pain and I think it is from the jumping jacks and butt kicks.
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I tried it barefoot yesterday and didn't have any pain at all. Usually with shoes on, the pain can get pretty bad after a few seconds of cardio, but barefeet seems to be helping.