How do you handle the comments/attention?

Options
I've lost a decent amount of weight, and lately I've had a lot of people start commenting on it - I'm talking three complete strangers at the gym, let alone people I know. I'm going back to school this weekend, so it's probably going to continue. It's nice to hear, don't get me wrong, but it's kind of a lot to take. I'm just not used to all the attention, and apparently I suck at accepting compliments. I can only smile and say thank you so much. It's also especially hard because I'm still so far from where I want to be, so I think I see it less in myself than other people do.

So how do you handle it when people comment/compliment your weight loss? How do you tell people who ask what you've been doing without sounding like a calorie-obsessed gym slut? Is there some kind of strategy I can arm myself with by Saturday?

Replies

• sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    "Thanks so much. I've been working hard at eating healthy and exercise" ?

Stop overanalysing it, just take the compliments and keep on what you're doing.:flowerforyou:
  • cartrat
    cartrat Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    sounding like a calorie-obsessed gym slut?

ahahahaha :laugh: made my day.

i love it how people ask you "how do you do it??1!!!?" when everyone knows the freaking answer: diet and exercise. tell them something stupid like "omg, it's so easy... i just breathed through my nose the whole time i would eat! :noway: "
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I say "Thanks! I've been working my a&$ off!" It was awkward at first because I wasn't quite "there" yet either and I didn't think that I had lost that much, but apparently other people notice more. Especially if they haven't seen you in awhile. You've worked hard for it, enjoy the compliments. Use it as ego-boost :drinker:

Now, on the other hand, just be happy you don't have the "Wow....You've lost a lot of weight. Do you think you're over-doing it?"
    They're the ones who need b*tchslapped. :noway:
  • SummerLovesPhil
    SummerLovesPhil Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    apparently I suck at accepting compliments. I can only smile and say thank you so much.

Nonsense! Smiling and saying thank you are two of the most joyful activities this life affords us. It sounds like you're pretty hard on yourself in general. This could be an opportunity to acknowledge your accomplishment without minimizing it. You did it, it was hard, and you get to take credit for it.
  • Love0491
    Love0491 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    tell them something stupid like "omg, it's so easy... i just breathed through my nose the whole time i would eat! :noway: "

BRILLIANT!
  • Dad_of_3
    Dad_of_3 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I can't wait until I start having that problem! :)
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    You will be happy to know that your weight loss will be "old news" soon and no one will mention it any more. Some people miss the attention, but it seems you won't, so take heart, people move on.
  • cserg
    cserg Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    On of my inspirations is my good coworker and friend who has lost nearly 80 pounds in the last year. Often I would hear people make comments to her and her reply was perfect "Thank you! I feel great!. I have probably heard her say that 50 times! And I can't wait to say it too!
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling I suck at handling compliments.. I always find it strange when they look disappointed when you answer the question How did you lose your weight with Eating right and exercising.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I say "Thank you, I've worked very hard to become so"

Then I see if they get the reference...

and if I'm asked about how, I just say eating better and running. If they persist, I might say, "Ok, I have a magic pill, ADVIL. It lets me function after I beat the stuffing out of myself at the Gym" except I say something WAAAAYYY less family friendly than stuffing.
  • racerscottw227
    Options
    "Thank you" is the quick and painless answer...even if you are thinking "I really haven't lost that much...I've still got a long way to go..." Because you do see yourself every day it may take a while for you to really see change. And depending on how much you are trying to lose, even a noticeable change may be a long way off from the final product.
  • SummerLovesPhil
    SummerLovesPhil Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I say "Thank you, I've worked very hard to become so"

Then I see if they get the reference...

Lol :::snerk:::
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Depends on the compliment, I've been good with the "You look great" compliments, I can say "Thank you" though I have a hard time picking myself apart and find that sometimes I'll say "Thanks but I still got work to do." I shouldn't say that, I should just accept the compliment.

Then lately I've gotten a whole different kind of attention that I'm not comfortable with and don't know if I'll ever be. Getting the compliments from guys is one thing but the whole trying to get in my pants knowing I'm married is a total different ball game that I don't play. In fact it's a total turn off. I did get hit on by a girl for the first time last night, She is actually a friend of mine and was drunk so I found that to be kinda funny because she knows better lol.

Most my compliments lately are coming from people that did not know me when I was fat. I walked into work last night and a guy I work with who is one of my friends and sweet as can be says "Hey pretty little lady" I love compliments like that, makes me feel good and helps my confidence level go up and also helps me have a great night at work.
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    I often reply "Oh don't worry, I'm not sick or anything, I've been trying to lose weight." This is mostly because I hate society's obsession with losing weight and the way everybody makes my weight their business. So I just happily pretend they are concerned for my overall well-being. And usually they will follow that up by congratulating me, and I find it easier to take a compliment framed as "wow you're doing so good at something you are trying to do" as opposed to being based on the assumption that all fat people (or all women) must be trying to lose weight and it MUST be a compliment to say wow you've lost weight.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,974 Member
    Options
    I just say "Thanks for noticing." If they ask how and they really want to know (like at the gym), I'll boost MFP; otherwise I just say diet and exercise.

When you are old like I am people say, "You've lost a lot of weight. Are you OK?" Great, so you're saying that I went to all this trouble and now I look like I have cancer?:frown: :laugh:

Enjoy the comments of the people who haven't seen you for awhile ..... let them be your mirror that reflects how really well you have done. :drinker: