feeling lethargic

Options
Hi all - Im 2 weeks into MFP, I have exercised in the past but fell off the wagon big time last summer and did nothing for about 7 months. I am here to lose weight, condition my self to have daily exercise again and be healthy.
My question -- the last few days I feel very lethargic, sometimes light headed and weak. In the old days I would run to the cupboard and get a "pick me up" (sugar, carbs) but Im not doing that and so Im dealing with the feelings. I am not diabetic. I have exercised everyday since Jan 4 - opinions? DO I need to take a "day off" from exercise, could I be in a adjustment phase? Other ideas?

Replies

• havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Are you eating all your required calories including your exercise calories,? Are you drinking all your water, including extra for your exercise time? Are you eating nutritious foods or junk? How hard you pushing yourself in the exercise? All these factors make a difference
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough protein? I always feel sluggish when I don't get enough protein in my body.... I think you should have one rest day, its ok to have an active rest day though by going for a walk or doing something low key but you should rest at least once a week from intense exercise, your body is probably just trying to catch up and recover. I would take a day off, you will be able to work out harder on your next workout too....

~Leash :heart:
  • melanieann48111
    Options
    I've been feeling the same way. I think it's my body adjusting to the new way of eating-cleaner eating. I don't know. Are you taking a multivitamin? I haven't been taking one lately and maybe that's it. Are you eating all of your calories? I've been a bit shy on calories the last couple days but only by 100 or less. What about caffeine? Have you recently given it up?
  • melanieann48111
    Options
    Oh and your body really does need a recovery day from exercise. Especially if you're lifting weights.
  • ractayjon
    ractayjon Posts: 365
    Options
    Are you eating all your required calories including your exercise calories,? Are you drinking all your water, including extra for your exercise time? Are you eating nutritious foods or junk? How hard you pushing yourself in the exercise? All these factors make a difference

I am eating just at my calories although a few days was slightly (like 20 calories) below. I am drinking my water and my foods have (so far) all been good.
    I dont think Im over doing the exercise but I may be - since my body isnt used to it....
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I agree with the posters above -- sounds like you're not eating enough... or at least not enough *quality* food. I'd be willing to bet money you're not eating your exercise calories. Eat at least some of 'em, especially if it's affecting you so much! Bump up the protein if you need to, as well.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I am eating just at my calories although a few days was slightly (like 20 calories) below. I am drinking my water and my foods have (so far) all been good.
    I dont think Im over doing the exercise but I may be - since my body isnt used to it....

So, if you don't mind telling us, how many calories, exactly are "just at my calories" ?
  • jennanassy
    Options
    Do NOT skimp on your calories...your body needs those calories to function. Absolutely do not eat under 1200 per day!!!
  • kingnatalie
    Options
    When I first started it took my body about 1 month to fully adjust, especially after adding exercise. After that my energy level is actually much higher than before. Give your body time and keep pushing on eating healthy and exercising.
  • jennanassy
    Options
    If you are not exercising...take your goal weight and multiply by 10. So if you want to weigh 130...you should eat 1300 calories. If you are exercising...multiply by 13
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Ten days in a row of working out? Take a day off thereTurbo. I find that I lose most of my weight after recovery days anyway. But that's just me.

However, I think your problem might be in the nutrition, and we don't have all the information.
  • biffy107
    Options
    It seem when you stop doing the program that it will be easy to get back in the game.Just not so it is realy harder and you struggle.till your in it heart and mind. With being tired, vitamins,is good mabe take an extra b complex. tea coffee 1/2 hour befor you work out. Can you find a friend to get you going. Gyms give a week trial membership.