Fruits and Vegetables???

Options
**I need to know what fruits and vegetables are good to snack on thru out the day!?!?!?! I know some fruits have a lot of sugar and should be avoided. I need to be able to snack thru out the day here at work or else I'm going to give in and go get fast food or eat something unhealthy! Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I have really been enjoying baby carrots (a little high in starch/sugar for a veg, but very crunchy and satisfying), grape tomatoes, red pepper slices, and cucumbers. For fruit, I believe that berries are the lowest sugar fruits, but I am not a big berry eater. Honestly, I like a nice granny smith apple sliced up - feels like a big snack. You can eat it with some cheese or nut butter for a litlle fat/protein.

Bananas, grapes, cherries - those are the really high sugar fruits - but they are still packed with vitamins and fiber.
  • brodi3man
    brodi3man Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    stick with fruits with a low GI.

You Go Overboard on Fruit

Fruit is a great thing when you’re dieting – as long as it’s in moderation. While most fruits are low on the glycemic index because of their high fiber content, there are some that are much higher – causing spikes in blood sugar that can lead to insulin resistance and dysregulation of hunger hormones if consumed in large quantities over time. This is a dead giveaway for weight gain causes. In order to avoid these fruit pitfalls, make sure to eat fruits that are low on the glycemic index, like pears and apples, and limit consumption of the fruits high on the index, like melons, pineapple and dried fruit.

source: http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/top-diet-mistakes-youre-making
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I avoid fruit during the day because it just stokes my hunger, especially in the morning. I stick with salad greens, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and cucumbers. If you want fruit, do some berries. Also, try some olives, cheese, beef jerky, tuna, avocado, nuts, seeds, etc for a more filling snack that is satiating. Eat more healthy fat, it will keep you full and keep cravings away.
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    all
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    **I need to know what fruits and vegetables are good to snack on thru out the day!?!?!?! I know some fruits have a lot of sugar and should be avoided. I need to be able to snack thru out the day here at work or else I'm going to give in and go get fast food or eat something unhealthy! Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

You don't need to avoid fruit.

If you have a medical necessity to limit sugar then you should do so. Otherwise, continue to eat in a calorie deficit and don't worry about fruit or vegetables. In fact, eat a lof of them :)
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    If you're eating fresh produce, don't worry about the fruits. Just beware of the dried fruit. It's easy to get carried away really quickly.
  • rawfitness
    rawfitness Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I avoid fruit during the day because it just stokes my hunger, especially in the morning. I stick with salad greens, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and cucumbers. If you want fruit, do some berries. Also, try some olives, cheese, beef jerky, tuna, avocado, nuts, seeds, etc for a more filling snack that is satiating. Eat more healthy fat, it will keep you full and keep cravings away.

Now here's someone with some sense.
  • Lightbulb1088
    Lightbulb1088 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I like celery with a little cream cheese on it. I eat alot of strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, watermellon.
    I also have Chobani 0 % fat yogurts for a quick easy snack.
    Good luck!
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Berries are one of the best available fruits. And I like baby carrots if you're looking for a popcornish type snack to nibble on.
  • johnhowson
    johnhowson Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I also think pretty nearly anything is fine. Apples, Pears etc all good. Carrots great. I love raw cabbage heart and I don't know if anyone else does
  • stagegoddess
    stagegoddess Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i like slicing/dicing up my fruits so it feels like i'm eating a lot more than i am (plus the time it takes to prep them helps burn calories and kill time). i live in ag country so i eat whatever the road side stands have or whatevers on sale at the grocery store.

as for veggies i like to dip them in hummus or just hide extra diced veggies in whatever i'm already eating. the fiber helps you stay fuller longer and who doesn't need to eat more veggies? in fact i threw some diced defrosted veggies into the salad in a bag we just had for lunch--yeah! and i could eat baby carrots/sliced carrots for days whereas i hate full sized carrots!!
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I eat all kinds of fruit but I do it in moderation. I'm not doing the low carb thing though. I have big salads with lunch and dinner and keep my fruit portions to about .5 cup up to 1.5 cups a day of various fruits.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

If you have a medical necessity to limit sugar then you should do so. Otherwise, continue to eat in a calorie deficit and don't worry about fruit or vegetables. In fact, eat a lof of them :)

^ What he said
  • GullyGirl009
    Options
    Don't give into to the fast food. You will be defeating your purpose. Try some celery stalks, thin sliced carrots are good. try to eat your veggies with other veggies to give some flavor. Try the hummus with your veggies. Sometimes I bring frozen steamed veggies from the supermarket. They are filling and satisfying.
    Whatever you do, don't give in to the fast food cravings. Keep trying to find what works for you that is going to assist with achieving your goals.
    Good luck!
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options

yes, i so agree with HIM! Fruits and Veggies, raw and whole is best,
    are your weight loss go-to staples, imo.
    You won't get fat on whole raw fruits and veggies
    hard to even picture how many fruits and veggies one would have to eat to be over their calorie limit........... You'd probably get diarrhea from all the fiber before you could eat THAT many fruits and veggies.

The sugar counter on MFP goes haywire when you eat fruits,:grumble: but, i just don't worry about it, cuz there is so much VITAL nutrition in fruits and veggies, required for overall health and lovely skin, etc.

Most fruits and veggies,
    are soooooooooo low calorie,
    that you can sit there and chew for a long long time,:bigsmile:
    without going OVER your calorie limit for the day.

Eat the ones you love,
    and each week, take home some new one you've never tried before. Experiment!!! You CAN re-train your taste to crave fruits and veggies.
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Hummus is a lower calorie veggie dip that you might like to check out.
    I love sliced green peppers, (MY fav, and so full of potassium)
    red peppers, radishes, celery, carrots, broccoli, asparagus spears, raw green beans or snap peas, just whatever, goes great with hummus of most any flavor.

Keeping raw sliced veggies in ziplock baggies full of cold water really adds to their crunch.

Is there anything in the world more delicious than a dark purple, reeeeally ripe juicy plum?
    c'mon, no candy in the world tastes THAT good!!:smile:
    Tastes so good it feels like cheating, yet, it's only a few calories, so have a few, to get yourself a HEALTHY sugarbuzz for the 2pm sleepies.
    Cherries are great right now,
    frozen grapes,
    kiwis take a while to eat, cuz you have to scoop them out and all,
    apples, pears, especially the brown pears,
    ruby red grapefruit,
    Watermelon
    strawberries...
    cantaloupe.....
    endless list of yummy fruit.

one healthy step can lead to another........focus on putting foods with VITAMINS into your tummy, make it a mission.

Or, try eating protein heavy foods, like tuna, fish, meat, beans.

some ppl feel more satisfied, if they eat spicey foods, like salsas or very spicey Hummus.
  • careyannal
    careyannal Posts: 161
    Options
    I don't think you should over think it by labeling certain fruits as bad, if the alternative you mentioned is fast food.

I eat a lot of fruit when I just want to munch on something. Cantelope and watermelon are pretty low in calories if that's what you're looking for. They are not, however, very filling.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    whoa who said fruits should be avoided????

Personally I like apples, grapes, strawberries...but wow, fruits avoided?
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    fruit IS fast food
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    You don't need to avoid particular fruits, especially if your alternative is fast food (there's no fruit high enough in sugar to make it less healthy than a McDonalds cheeseburger).

For snacks during the day, I like fruits that are easy to grab without having to worry about the serving size. For example, clementines, plums, and small/medium peaches are all approximately 40 calories per piece. When I'm on my way out the door in the morning, I just have to grab one from the fridge; super easy portion and no need to stop for some other food.