calorie dense foods? HELP please! ;)

Options
Okay, so i'm breastfeeding and having trouble getting in all the calories lost from exercise and breastfeeding! Im netting around 4-700 so what are some foods that I can eat quick and take up quite a bit of calories that is good for me to eat? I'm assuming this is why I am only maintaining my weight when I work out at least once a day.. sometimes more. Thank in advance for the help!

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Nuts !
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    Nuts !

^^^^
    Absolutely 100% agree!
  • I_GoT_ThIs
    I_GoT_ThIs Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Which are best for you? I'm getting sick of almonds. Lol
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Have you tried almond butter? Add a little honey and it's really good and changes it up from just plain almonds.

Pasta is pretty calorie dense...not a lot of nutritional value but you can get some whole grains in and then mix it with a bunch of veggies for better nutritional value.

Cheese can also be pretty high and will keep your calcium up.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    It's a bit expensive, but try gluten-free bread. It's crazy how many calories are in a little slice of that stuff! It's very filling too.
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    My very favorite meal (eat it every day and look forward to it like CHRISTMAS!):

1 slice Ezekial Sprouted low sodium bread, toasted - 80 c
    1T Smooth Operator peanut butter (no additives) - 90 c
    1/2 banana, sliced on top of the PB - 45 c
    1 t cinnamon sprinkled on top - 6 c

Totals = 221 calories, 32g carbs, 9g fat, 9g protein, 6g fiber

Obviously, you could add more PB or use the whole banana to bulk it up further. This is really nutrient dense and seriously delicious!
  • litnerd4life
    litnerd4life Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I agree on the nuts...also, sunflower seed butter is seriously the best thing ever..it's good on apples, celery, bread, whatever! also, do you drink protein shakes? That is a super fast and easy way to get in an extra 100-150 cals, plus protein, vitamins and minerals. Also, having kids and having gone through the breastfeeding thing myself, I find making a bunch of stuff in advance is very helpful. I make my own protein bars and these turkey muffin things and keep them in my fridge. That way I can just grab a couple whenever I'm hungry :)
  • trishgrace
    trishgrace Posts: 285
    Options
    Love Avocados. I like them with tomato on top of my omelet. Also I like to put Peanut Butter (or Dark Chocolate Dreams which is Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter) on Honey Graham Crackers.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Cashews, avocado, and cottage cheese :smile:
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I agree on the nuts...also, sunflower seed butter is seriously the best thing ever..it's good on apples, celery, bread, whatever! also, do you drink protein shakes? That is a super fast and easy way to get in an extra 100-150 cals, plus protein, vitamins and minerals. Also, having kids and having gone through the breastfeeding thing myself, I find making a bunch of stuff in advance is very helpful. I make my own protein bars and these turkey muffin things and keep them in my fridge. That way I can just grab a couple whenever I'm hungry :)

Jamie Eason muffins? Best thing ever.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/video-jamie-eason-turkey-meatloaf-muffins.htm
  • I_GoT_ThIs
    I_GoT_ThIs Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • Grinb
    Grinb Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My very favorite meal (eat it every day and look forward to it like CHRISTMAS!):

1 slice Ezekial Sprouted low sodium bread, toasted - 80 c
    1T Smooth Operator peanut butter (no additives) - 90 c
    1/2 banana, sliced on top of the PB - 45 c
    1 t cinnamon sprinkled on top - 6 c

Totals = 221 calories, 32g carbs, 9g fat, 9g protein, 6g fiber

Obviously, you could add more PB or use the whole banana to bulk it up further. This is really nutrient dense and seriously delicious!

Love that I use diff bread and PB its my fav for breakfast some times!! also never tried cinnamon going to have to now lol
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Avocados. Nuts/nut butters (you probably want to avoid peanuts due to allergies, but I never did) (one of my favorite sandwiches is dried mixed berries and peanut butter on whole grain bread--lived on this when I was pregnant and breastfeeding!). Yogurt--not the yucky low fat/low sugar kind--whole milk yogurt like the YoBaby and YoKids from Stonyfield Farms... It's wonderful--thick and rich and dessert-like!
  • harryd179
    Options
    peanut butter, cashew nuts?
  • sirmio
    sirmio Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Add olive oil to whatever you can add olive oil to. :D