5K question

Options
snha
snha Posts: 388 Member
5K question. I am following C25K program very carefully, doing everything it says I need to do. The program is for 9 weeks. However, I would like to run a certain 5k race that takes place on the 9th week, just before I complete my training. Do you experts think I can just skip a week or run more often than three times a week and therefore catch on?

Thanks
S

Replies

• howie4four
    howie4four Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Can I tag along on this topic? I have 1 more night of the couch to 5k program. Last night I ran 30 minutes and felt like I was going to die, but finished. Tomorrow I'll run my last night of the program and have a 5K I want to run on Saturday. But I'm hesitant as last night was really brutal. Does a 5K ever feel easy? Maybe a 5K is supposed to feel brutal!! Is this me sabatoging myself?

I'm no expert, but the 9th week is hard......I'd add runs to your week and not skip over a workout in my very unexpert opinion. My son runs 3 miles every day......He's stronger and more fit than I have ever known him to be.

I plan on running every night this week....tonight it will be 20 minutes
    tomorrow 35
    Thursday 30
    Friday 20
    Saturday is my 5K......
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    How far do you run in the 30 minutes workout runs? Are you tired or do you feel you could keep running for a while at the end of the 30 min.?

I have run 6 days a week since starting the c25k program. During the c25k interval training, I repeated the workouts. On the longer runs (25-30) min, I would do an interval run or walk a hilly route the days in between. My last 30 min run on c25k, I felt I could have run longer. The next run I did the entire 5k length which took me about 10 min longer. I am now working on speed intervals on 2-2.5 mile workouts and a couple of 5k runs a week training for a 5k race Sept 1.

I entered a local 5k in when in c25k w6 knowing it would be a challenge. It was a run/walk 5k. You could run or walk. While most people ran the entire distance, a number of people (including myself) walked short segments when needed. I enjoyed the 5k experience and my finish time was better than I expected when I entered the race. I found I ran faster in the race than my training workouts. I also took two days off before the race from running. I believe this rest helped me run faster in the race. Planning to run the entire 5k on Sept. 1.
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    5K question. I am following C25K program very carefully, doing everything it says I need to do. The program is for 9 weeks. However, I would like to run a certain 5k race that takes place on the 9th week, just before I complete my training. Do you experts think I can just skip a week or run more often than three times a week and therefore catch on?

Thanks
    S

Do the race, if you are 9ish weeks in to a 9 week program you have most of the benefit. I would not try and rush the workouts as they are spaced to allow you to build the needed endurance. For your first 5k your goal should be to finish and enjoy it. Run as much as you can and walk what you need. Afterwards come back and finish up week 9 and sign up for another and another and another...
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Run the 5k! If you can only run 2.5 miles adrenaline and excitement will get you through the last mile :) The only advice I will give you is dont start out too fast and you will do awesome.
  • coms17
    coms17 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree with nickhuffman74.....sign up and go for it! It will be great motivation and you will probably surprise yourself. And if you have to walk a little at the end, you will still FINISH A 5K, which is a great accomplishment.
  • racerscottw227
    Options
    To preface: I'm only on week 3, but I have done some running in the past.

When I have previously tried increasing my endurance I ran 5-7 days per week. Thanks to my effort I ended up with a pulled hammy that took a month to get over. Every other time since then I've had to scale it back because after a couple days of running back to back also caused joint/tendon/hamstring irritation.

This time I've been running for about a month, but only every other day, and I haven't had the slightest bit of discomfort. So I'd say, listen to your body. If something doesn't feel right, stop running and take an extra day or two off. You can't get better if you don't properly recover.
  • conidiring
    conidiring Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Run it. I spaced my C25K training to end with a 5k race in the last week. I took two days off before the race and was able to run the whole thing. As others have said you could run/walk if necessary. Race day is totally different than a training run. So, you'll be a bit jacked and should be able to run it easier than in training. Good luck to you, have fun!
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    hi there! i followed the c25k program until the end of week 6. my 25 minute run felt so good, that it quickly turned into a 36 minute run. of course it all depends on the person, but at the end of my 9 weeks, i actually decided to run a 10k instead of the 5k i was going to run! :-)

best wishes!

by the way, i wouldn't recommend running more. too much running too fast can tear a body up. you need to get your joints and muscles used to the pounding a little at a time.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Run it. It may be hard but the feeling you'll have crossing that finish line is indescribable. I ran my first 5K about 4 years ago and remember it like it was yesterday.

Important tip, don't start out too fast. Maintain your goal pace - the objective is to cross the finish line with a smile on your face, nothing else.
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd just stick to the training plan as is and run the 5K when it comes. Just because you'll still have one or two workouts left won't make too much of a difference. Even in my 10K training I never run more than every other day. My body needs time to recuperate so I don't injure myself and (gasp) have to stop running.
  • jazzguy4him
    jazzguy4him Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Can I tag along on this topic? I have 1 more night of the couch to 5k program. Last night I ran 30 minutes and felt like I was going to die, but finished. Tomorrow I'll run my last night of the program and have a 5K I want to run on Saturday. But I'm hesitant as last night was really brutal. Does a 5K ever feel easy? Maybe a 5K is supposed to feel brutal!! Is this me sabatoging myself?

I'm no expert, but the 9th week is hard......I'd add runs to your week and not skip over a workout in my very unexpert opinion. My son runs 3 miles every day......He's stronger and more fit than I have ever known him to be.

tomorrow 35
    Thursday 30
    Friday 20
    Saturday is my 5K......

I would only run tonight and tomorrow night, maybe a light one on Thursday. Do not run the day before your race, your body needs to recover. Just my two cents.

Good luck!
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    "Do you experts think I can just skip a week or run more often than three times a week and therefore catch on? "

Depends on what week you're on now and how you feel. If you're toward the beginning of the 9 weeks, like week 2 or 3, you could probably jump ahead a week depending on how you feel. I wouldn't run more than 3x a week though -as a beginning runner that's a good way to end up injured. Even if you can't accelerate the program I agree with the others here. JUST RUN THE 5K! You'll be fine! Worse think that will happen is you need to walk a little bit, or you're really really tired after. You won't die. :bigsmile:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I always ran just a tiny bit extra each day, such as an extra interval in the first few weeks, maybe adding a minute or two to the longer runs in the later weeks, so I was running the full 5k distance before the end of 9 weeks. In fact, I pretty much stopped following the program after week 7.

Even if you're running less than 3 miles by the time of your race, the excitement of race day will keep you going.

Also, if you're new to running, don't run every day. And give yourself a day or preferably two days off before your race.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Run. You may not be the fastest, but you'll have a blast. The advice given to not go out too fast at the start is GOLDEN!! I still have a hard time throttling my enthusiasm at the start of a race. Makes finishing strong tough.

Realize you are doing this to cap an acheivement. Once you do it, you might find it slightly addiciting. **HI. My name is Dawn and I'm a running addict.** something like that!!

Good luck!!
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options

tomorrow 35
    Thursday 30
    Friday 20
    Saturday is my 5K......

I would only run tonight and tomorrow night, maybe a light one on Thursday. Do not run the day before your race, your body needs to recover. Just my two cents.

Good luck!

^^^^ THIS!!^^^

Do not run the day before. OR, do not run on Thursday and then only run a light 10 minutes or so on Friday. Its called a taper - gives your muscles time to recover and increase their glycogen stores so you have energy on race day.
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Ive never been one to follow a "plan", in fact when I did the insanity program I refused to follow the order. The c25k is a great program but its not an all or nothing plan. you can skip a day and run 2 in a row. Running is a great workout and one that although your body does need to recover, it's something you can do daily as long as you don't overdo it. I think you will be fine, now if you are lifting and doing arms everyday... no that's not going to recover that quick. Don't get too rigid with the program or it sets you up for failure (oh i missed a run, i can't run for 2 more days oh well i'm done for the week). enjoy, have fun and if you end up needing to walk for some of the 5k, it's fine, especially for your first. Enjoy it and good luck!
    I'll also add that the first 5k i did i had only ran 2.7 miles and was scared, however finished in a time better than I could have expected :-)
  • plattdaddy
    Options
    Im new to this board, but I have used MFP off and on for a few months. But now I am finally starting to use it daily. Since we are on the C25K topic, how do you log this interval type of training onto MyFitnessPal? There is not an exercise that I can find to add it. I have been doing it for the last week. I just put that I average walk 3.0 miles. Im pretty big so I walk kind of slow. But I do the work.

Thanks!!!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i second this! adrenaline, excitement and the encouragement form other runners in the race will get you to the finish line. def start out slow.
    Run the 5k! If you can only run 2.5 miles adrenaline and excitement will get you through the last mile :) The only advice I will give you is dont start out too fast and you will do awesome.
  • Fabnover40Kat
    Fabnover40Kat Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    RUN IT! When I started C25k my 5k was in week 7 ! I did fine! Was 10th in my age group! LOL!
  • LifestyleChange33
    LifestyleChange33 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I am no expert, but I would think you'd be fine! :glasses: