Fed up and feeling down

Options
OK, so I'm having a pity party. Right now I'm so sick of working. I work for a telephone company and work crazy shifts and hours. Unfortunately I very rarely have weekends off. We're a big camping family and I feel like all I do is work and I don't have any fun. My one day off here or there is always filled with cleaning, errands, appointments etc. I'm just tired of not having fun time, and it's so hard to get used to this schedule, but it is what it is and won't change.

I don't even feel like eating. I'm tired of worrying about getting all my calories in for a day. I've lost 18 lbs and can't even see it.

I know, I'm just a ray of sunshine today, but I know venting my feelings will help. Thanks for listening.

Replies

• Doozer1978
    Doozer1978 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Aha!
    I hear you!

No one has noticed I have lost weight either.....a few more pounds and I am sure they will! But I am losing the weight for me not for them! I know my clothes are baggier!

As for all your calories - make yourself small snack packs to eat at your desks or have smoothies so you get all your calories!

Remember how far you have come....right down all the plus points about the weight you have lost so far and the changes you have made.

Chin up - it will be worth it in the end!!!!

We are all here with you!

:-)
  • fallintomyworld
    fallintomyworld Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. somedays i work 15 hour shifts and i tend to always go over my calorie, and get really frusterated with working so much. Try to stay postive and look at the good things about your job and family time. I hope it gets better!!
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Cindy, you're doing awesome. Work is frustrating and stressful for me as well. We just need to stay strong and not let that impede our fitness journey. Stay strong and you're going to be good!!!
  • okinmaine
    okinmaine Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Oh, My Friend.....Hang in there!! For each of us, it is something different, but we have ALL been there. Ride the wave..... I PROMISE it will level out and you will be cruising again! 18lbs is a HUGE success! Even if no one on the outside notices, your heart notices and is SO VERY THANKFUL!

My husband works out of state all week. I get him either 1 or 2 days a week and it has definitely been a strain on our marriage. I have had to reshift my priorities and Honey, dust bunnies and a ring in the bathroom sink are no longer on the top of the list!! Enjoy the last weeks of summer. Breathe...... Pack snacks and lunches.....Do what you can but whatever you do, DO NOT GIVE UP ON YOURSELF!!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Awww, Wish these were real, but.... :flowerforyou:
  • helaurin
    helaurin Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I get frustrated too. My main form of exercise is walking with my SDIT.

Very frustrating when my family notices that my SDIT has lost a couple pounds, but doesn't notice any difference for me. (I've only lost six pounds so far in three weeks).

Even more frustrating is watching my family chow down on anything (and everything) that they want, while I restrain myself.

Two examples in the last week:

1 - McDonalds - Everyone got Big Macs, 20 pc McNuggets, Large Fries, etc. Except me. I waited until we got home and had a yogurt.
    2 - Pizza - this was just a couple nights ago. Pizza was delivered. Eight slices. I had one slice; a visiting girlfriend had one slice; and my boyfriend had the other six slices. And no, he doesn't need to lose weight - he is constantly eating whatever he wants (Jimmy Dean Breakfast Sandwiches, peanut butter/cheese six-packs of crackers, etc.).

Just doesn't seem fair!
  • VickiG36
    VickiG36 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Venting is good! Just know you're not alone. Hang in there! You got this!
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Are you in my head??? I was totally feeling this last night. Sometimes I just get so overwhelmed!

18 pounds is 18 pounds!!! That's a lot! It does hurt when we don't get validation from those around us, but toot your own horn! Be proud of yourself, and don't hesitate to compliment YOURSELF. You'll get there. All of a sudden EVERYONE will start noticing and commenting. Then you'll get to be irritated by all the jealous people and the people who want to know what your "secret" is... =)
  • Cindy393
    Cindy393 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the inspiring words. I know this too shall pass, and I do have so much to be thankful for. I'm usually the eternal optimist, but just not feeling it lately. I'll get there :)
  • Cindy393
    Cindy393 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    oh, and just to clarify, I have a great support system-my husband! He's doing this with me as well, so we're both supporting each other. I know I am my own worst critic-he can see changes in me, but I sure don't see them myself, especially where my clothes fit. Just wanted to say I'm blessed to have my hubby on my side!
  • chefdak
    chefdak Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Dear fed up and feeling down:

Been there, done that. I can relate to you on so many levels. First the whole work schedule. With shows almost every weekend throughout the summer and fall, I miss out on a lot of socializing. While friends and family are gathering at the beach, going away for weekend trips, hanging at the mall or getting together for family functions I am usually at a show trying to make an honest living. At times it can be really frustrating and I feel isolated from the rest of the world. Other times I am thankful for the out when it is something I really don't want to do. Just depends on my perspective. LOL.

As for the weight loss journey, it is just that, a journey. There are many bends and bumps in the road but it's the bad stretches that make us appreciate the smooth roads when we are on them. Yes, I've lost a lot of weight (about 70 lbs all together) I've been on this journey for 30 years. 30 years of counting calories, carbs, sodium, fat, running like a fiend. And all of that just to maintain. If I didn't I'd weigh over 200 lbs. How do I know that??? Because I've weighed over 200 lbs. Because of my heath issues I take steroids twice a day, everyday for the rest of my life. Plus I take Insulin for my type 1 diabetes. All of which wreak havoc on the scale. I have to work this hard just to maintain. But that's okay. I look at where I've been and I am thankful for where I am. I am at a healthy weight and I run marathons. For that I am grateful and motivated to work hard everyday.

It's okay to have a bad day. You are entitled. We are human, we err. But we also forgive. So be gentle to yourself. You are doing an awesome job. Try to focus on the NSV (non scale victories). Having a little more pep in your step, not being as winded after climbing that flight of stairs, feeling a little more energized each day. The weight loss will come around. And by the way, 18 lbs is amazing. You should be proud of yourself.

Hang in there and keep on doing what you are doing. You are on the right track. Sending lots of hugs your way.
  • Esther50
    Esther50 Posts: 252
    Options
    Cindy, I don't know the work thing anymore. I am done working the long hours and weekends. BUT I do know all about the untidy home. I am with you, oh well. It will get done when I feel like doing it. Mind you, my house is not a pigsty, I just don't stress if one day or two I don't tidy up or do some kind of homemaker duty.

In fact I try to do most during the week so that I can have my weekends free. I know you work weekends, but work around those days you do have off.

And absolutely don't forget about you and your journey, you are well worth it.
    Stay strong.
  • Sheakat
    Sheakat Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I can understand where you're coming from! First, congrats on the 18 pounds that you've lost...WOW! Second, My family (kids, grandkids) have moved back in with my husband and I and it's driving me crazy. The house is always messy, and I have a full time job! They will clean if I ask them to, but do I really need to ask???
    Life can be frustrating most of the time, but hang in there baby...better days to come!