Does anyone go green straight across?

Options
Do you go green straight across everyday? It seems like no matter how strict I am I always manage to go into the negative on sugar and protein... like I've eaten too much. How much is too much? I think I usually go over by -20g of sugar. Do I need to monitor myself better or is this common? I just want to make sure I am using these tools to the most of their capabilities! I'm ready to get back to being healthy.

Thanks!! :)

ps - feel free to add me, I'm new and I love the pick me ups! I'll do the same :)

Replies

• 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    MFP's settings are quite low for sugar and protein. I aim to stay close/under for sugar, and go WAY over for protein. I know that you can change your macros, but I've used it for a year and I am used to seeing the protein turn red right around the time I have my p.m. snack.
  • AShawneeF
    AShawneeF Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    i am never green all the way across unless i net under what i am supposed to. I take a multivitamin on top of everything that i eat, so my vitamins and minerals are usually over. (I'm anemic so i kinda need the iron anyway). I deliberately try to go over on protien...i actually don't look at my sugar and sodium and stuff. i figure as long as i am drinking plenty of water and i am lower on my carbs, if i go over on sugar i should be okay.
  • year2doit
    Options
    i am always over on sugar and protien too!! i know the sugar is from all the fruit i eat, so i'm not to concerned. but as for being green across the board-- never.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I see a lot more red than green
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about being over protein...I aim for at least 90g/day. MFP tends to set it low.

And as for sugar, I believe personally that as long as it's not processed crap sugar, but rather naturally occuring sugar, no worries :)
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I am always about 33% over on protein and fiber, but 33% under on sugar. This seems to work well for me, so I don't try to fix it.
  • SP00KSH0WBABY
    Options
    So will weight loss still occur even if I am going up to say 50g over on sugar? Does it really just boil down to calories and exercise? Any idea?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    So will weight loss still occur even if I am going up to say 50g over on sugar? Does it really just boil down to calories and exercise? Any idea?

I just change my settings to eliminate sugar tracking and worry about calories. I make sure that I have *enough* protein and fiber. I assess how I look and feel once a week with a mirror and tape measure. So far, so good. :bigsmile:
  • joecollins9385
    joecollins9385 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    i very rarely (and am disappointed when i do) go green the whole way. i try to eat a lot more protein than MFP recommends so you generally see me in red for protein but green on everything else
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I like to get everything green except for protein (which I aim for 100g +)
  • RachelG101
    RachelG101 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Green, never! Red, often.. but I'm still working out what to eat. I've just started taking a liquid multivit as was always red on vitamins
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Regularly go red on carbs, even when I alter them for myself.
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member
    Options
    sugar can be thrown way off by eating fruit. I stopped tracking sugar because of this. protein is way low on here, if you are looking to build muscle (muscle tone) you should be eating approximately 1 gram of protein to 1 lb of lean body weight. Eating more than this will not hurt you as your body will simply dispose of what it does not use. Carbs are a little high on here and you should try to stay under there, this can also be affected by the amount of fruit you eat. hope this helps :smile:
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member
    Options
    If you click on "Goals" from you home screen and then "Change Goals" switch to "Custom Goals". You can change the percentages of your Carb/Fat/Protein calories. It is best to drop the Carb some and up the Protein to get as close as you can to the 1 - 1 ratio of protein.
  • CopperGalaxy
    CopperGalaxy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Usually red with fibre but that's cos i'm vegan. The advantage is it flushes poop out your system alot and helps with the detoxification process making you feel less heavy in the stomach area, even after meals lol xx
  • NeekoM03
    NeekoM03 Posts: 27
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this! I always go over on protein and sugar. I wasn't worried about the protein but the sugar kind of concerned me. 80 - 90% of my sugar intake is from fruit though so I won't worry about it anymore!
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    australian food standards say you can have 75g of sugar a day, including fruit.
    i think mfp was set with only added sugar in mind, but it doesn't work that way

and yes protein is good
  • DENALI2017
    Options
    Good question. When I first started, I would usually hit my target daily calories (or be a little under), but I was always going over the other categories. As I learned to create meals that fit the "macros" I would typically end up hitting all three most days, and generally 2 out of the 3.

Bottom line for me was that I was learning to control my portions and I didn't look at the "red" as a negative indicator. I looked at it as a guiding tool.
  • DENALI2017
    Options
    BTW, congrats on the initiative. It is hard to stick with at first, but once you get going it gets easier (at least it did for me).