Please answer,will i gain a lot of weight after???

Options
please answer. i really need some support. i am very upset. my doctor recently told me i have graves disease. a very over active thyroid. and he wants to give me radioactive Iodine to kill off my thyroid. then i will be hypo for the rest of my life and have to be on medication. i guess, my question is, and what's really bothering me. is i get rid of my thyroid, i keep thinking i'm gonna gain heaps of weight and get very fat. and i'm so scared. i'm very weight conscious and don't want to gain a lot of weight. the doctor says once i get started on my thyroid medications after to replace the hormones, it will make my metabolism act normal again and i will be able to lose weight. but i hear so much stuff on the internet about people saying, even tho they are on medication to treat their underactive thyroid, they still can't lose the weight. that can't be right. if i start the medication to replace the hormones, i should have just as well of a chance of losing weight, as some one who doesn't have thyroid problems, right??? how much weight can i expect to gain once my thyroid is killed off. my doctor says can't even start taking the medication until about four months after the radioactive Iodine treatment. just so worried. any one have this done. how much weight did it cause you to gain. and were you able to lose weight once you started the medication. please help. so upset and stressed about this.

Replies

• delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    You should be fine. Just don't let it phych you into thinking it will make you gain weight. You just might if that's your line of thinking. Don't use it as an excuse. I worked with a lady who had thyroid cancer and she did fine without it and taking meds. She was normal weight to start and didn't gain any weight at all, even after the 5 more years I worked with her. Good luck.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    You should really probably be consulting your doctor. Doctor recommendation trumps "stuff you hear on the internet."

In the meantime, try to relax of being weight conscious, and start trying to focus on being health conscious.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I have graves disease and had the radio active iodine treatment done. Graves disease is really harmful.

I didn't gain too much weight afterward. But it is harder to lose weight than it used to be.

You do have to work harder to maintain and lose, but I don't think it's affected me all that much.

However, I have to tell you that since I had it done, I have always felt more tired than I used. This doesn't stop me from leading a normal life or get in the way of daily activities or stop me from going out until 3-4 AM, but it's there.

I'm not sure about that 4 months thing. I don't remember waiting that long, but I could be wrong. It was a long time ago.

You may want to go for a 2nd opinion. I had graves disease for quite a few years before my doctors started talking about the radioactive iodine.
  • SiobhanDelaney
    SiobhanDelaney Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I dont know anything about thyroid but i think your health is No.1 and everything will fall into place after that.... Just breathe.. (Hugs)
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    One of my sisters has this. She opted to not do the radio active thing right now because of having young kiddos. The thought of not even being able to touch them bothered her quite a bit. She is taking some kind of medication- but I don't know which kind right now. (sorry not much help)

Either way, know that everyone reacts to medications differently. List out the pro's and con's, and ask a lot of questions. What are the hazards of not getting the procedure- do they out weigh some weight gain?

Hugs to you & Best of luck!
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for the scary situation you're in. It's intimidating to think you'll deal with something for the rest of your life! I have hypothyroidism and it has been very well controlled by medication since i was diagnosed 7 years ago. However, I would say that you really, really need to consult your doctor on this or a nutritionist. An internet forum is not a good place to get this type of advice. You have a serious condition with serious consequences and you need to be informed by a professional. If you don't think your doctor is acting in your best interest, get a second opinion but please, talk to somebody who can actually help with sound advice! Good luck :smile:
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I went undiagnosed for hypothyroidism for about 6 months to a year when I was 13 (lowest levels they had ever seen). I gained a lot of water weight because of it. I don't know how much because I was 13 and didn't pay attention to the scale, just what I looked like. With medication I was able to lose a lot of it and eventually was down to a good size. As an adult though, it has been difficult to lose weight. I am not sure if that is because of the underactive thyroid or because I was lazy, but about 2 years ago I lost about 30 lbs and it was from diet and exercise, nothing fancy. I gained it back though because I stopped. I have been using MFP for about 2 weeks and have lost 7 lbs. Again, diet and exercise are key. It is possible to lose with an underactive thyroid, at least it is for me. I hope this helps.
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Definitely address this with your doc. I had my right thyroid surgically removed over 8 years ago and had no issues with weight afterward....it's only now that I'm starting to experience problems. Just make sure to talk it all over with the doc and bring up ANY and ALL concerns you have!
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Having an overactive thyroid can be pretty dangerous, particularly for your heart.
    You will have an underactive thyroid afterwards, yes, but that is easily managed with medication to make your thyroid "normal".
  • jehuster
    jehuster Posts: 168
    Options
    please answer. i really need some support. i am very upset. my doctor recently told me i have graves disease. a very over active thyroid. and he wants to give me radioactive Iodine to kill off my thyroid. then i will be hypo for the rest of my life and have to be on medication. i guess, my question is, and what's really bothering me. is i get rid of my thyroid, i keep thinking i'm gonna gain heaps of weight and get very fat. and i'm so scared. i'm very weight conscious and don't want to gain a lot of weight. the doctor says once i get started on my thyroid medications after to replace the hormones, it will make my metabolism act normal again and i will be able to lose weight. but i hear so much stuff on the internet about people saying, even tho they are on medication to treat their underactive thyroid, they still can't lose the weight. that can't be right. if i start the medication to replace the hormones, i should have just as well of a chance of losing weight, as some one who doesn't have thyroid problems, right??? how much weight can i expect to gain once my thyroid is killed off. my doctor says can't even start taking the medication until about four months after the radioactive Iodine treatment. just so worried. any one have this done. how much weight did it cause you to gain. and were you able to lose weight once you started the medication. please help. so upset and stressed about this.

With something as serious as this...I would be getting a second opinion. And yes as your doctor these questions don't consult the board on MFP about this. Praying for you. :flowerforyou:
  • jehuster
    jehuster Posts: 168
    Options

With something as serious as this...I would be getting a second opinion. And yes ask your doctor these questions don't consult the board on MFP about this. Praying for you. :flowerforyou:
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I know it is all really upsetting, but it will be OK. My mom had Graves and also had the radioactive iodine treatment. She is her same weight after her treatment. If you don't get this taken care of then you will have a lot more health issues to worry about. I think the important thing is to ensure that you will be following an eating plan and getting routine exercise. Yes, you may gain some weight, but it will not be impossible to get rid of it.

I have also battled thyroid problems, but I had hashimotos hypoactive and thyroid cancer. We both take medications to give us thyroid hormone, and live a wonderful, full-functioning life.

My best advice is to do your research...don't just let the doctors tell you what your levels are, ask them each time what your TSH/T3/T4 are and keep a log, along with what level of medicine you were taking at the time. That way you can also write if you feel you were getting too much, not enough, or if its just right.
  • mandersatx
    Options
    This. /\/\/\/\. Seek a second opinion if you feel you must; have another thyroid panel done if you think the results are off, but consult a physician. I just had my thyroid tested today as I'm probably underactive. The doc assures me the meds are cheap & easy. My mom also has an underactive thyroid and does just fine with her weight as long as she takes her meds. The dangers of an overactive thyroid far exceed gaining weight.
  • AmoreCouture
    AmoreCouture Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I would see another doctor before you do this. Go to someone who specializes in it like an endocrinologist. It's definitely something I would get a second opinion on before going through. I have hypothyroidism. Without medicine, it was very hard to lose and very easy to gain. Pair that with a bad diet, and it only took a few months to go from 136 pounds to 170, where I stayed at for a little bit, then all the way up to 214. All of that was less than a year.
    However, if you watch your diet, and exercise, you can at the very least maintain until you're able to get on the appropriate dosage of medicine. Once you're on it, you can lose just fine as long as your levels are balanced out, which your doctor should work with you on until they are.
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    If you're feeling unsure about your doctor's treatment plan you could get a second opinion from another doc. Ask other family members if they know of anyone in the family or friends who have had to deal with this and see what their advice is since they've been through it.
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I agree - focus on being as healthy as you can. As a side note, I do know someone who had to have their thyroid removed due to cancer. They were told they would likely gain - I have not noticed an ounce of weight change - and she is doing fantastic. Regardless, be thankful they know what the problem is, that you are being treated, and that you will be well. All the best!
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    You should really probably be consulting your doctor. Doctor recommendation trumps "stuff you hear on the internet."

In the meantime, try to relax of being weight conscious, and start trying to focus on being health conscious.

Amen to the above advice!!! And NEVER, NEVER, NEVER be afraid to go behind your doctor's back to get another medical opinion from a Dr who specializes in this type condition!
  • mokster
    mokster Posts: 17
    Options
    I also recommend getting a second opinion. I was told I had Grave's disease, and like a good patient, I went to have the iodine treatment done (as instructed). Luckily, the doctor performing the procedure took a look at my charts... he said that I should get a second opinion because he didn't feel comfortable doing the procedure with my readings.

I now have a new endocrinologist, I do NOT have Grave's disease, and I still have my thyroid. :) Better safe than sorry when you're looking at a lifetime of medication. =/
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Before I say anything else....please get a second opinion before under going the iodine treatment.

I have Grave's disease, the following is taken from the blurb on my profile right here on MFP...

'On 28th Feb 2012 I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. I'm one of those people who for some reason went against the 'usual symptoms' of the condition and lost no weight (but gained none either).
    Because of this diagnosis and the fact that 10 days later I was turning 30, I decided to take a long hard look at my diet and lifestyle. I had recently lost my job and had spent the time since sitting around, eating and feeling sorry for myself and my situation.
    On that same day I joined Weight Watchers. For some people that may be a brilliant diet plan but for me, it just didn't fit. I was even more grumpy, headachey and tired than I was before. In the first week of it I lost 0lbs. Absolutely nothing.
    2 weeks later I discovered MFP, 1 week after that I cancelled my Weight Watchers subscription and did a load of reading on the forums about eating more. I upped my calories and haven't looked back since.
    On 24th April I had my diagnosis of hyperthyroidism confirmed by a consultant at the hospital. On that day I was also told I shouldn't do any exercise or anything to raise my heart rate. I started on thyroid medication to suppress my thyroid, and began researching the side effects of the medication. I was completely devastated to discover every medical study showed that I will gain weight due to the treatment.
    Right there and then I decided not to become another statistic. Every Sunday I weigh in, and however little a loss it IS a loss. Every Sunday I put two fingers up at those medical studies and prove them wrong. '

Since writing that I have lost 8lbs. I won't lie, the weight doesn't fall off. It takes hard work and dedication, but if you really want it - you CAN do it. I celebrate my 0.25lb losses, I celebrate when I maintain, I stick with it when I gain and figure out why it happened.
    What I discovered was..
    Yes, people do gain weight once they start on medication and treatments for Grave's disease. The short answer as to why this happens is because...
    THEY EAT TOO MUCH.
    Simple. They continue to eat at a higher level than what their now lower metabolism can maintain and so they gain weight. The key is to realising this and figuring out at what number of calories you can eat at in order to maintain your weight. Once you know that then deduct off a couple of hundred and that will be your weight loss calories.

Please feel free to add me as a friend for help and support...we are all in the same weight loss boat :smile:
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Whatever happens, just be patient. Your body is going through hell right now and it might take some time to get it back to normal condition. If you gain/lose a few pounds through the trial and error period of getting the correct dosage, just take it all in stride.