5K question

Options
2»

Replies

• msjamartin
    msjamartin Posts: 148
    Options
    Run the 5k. I've not ever been able to follow specific training plans, I kinda do my own thing. I just ran a 5k on Sat. this was maybe my 4th actual 5k and I did it in 36 min. I was top ten in my age group (a first) and felt good after. This was only my second 5k that I actually ran the whole thing. Many many people in the race did a run/walk combo. You do not have to go out and run your first race 100%. I've ran 5 mile races, 5ks, 10k, 12ks & 2 1/2 marathons in the last year. Of those races, only 2 5ks have I not taken walk breaks. My next race on Sept. 9th is a 10k and my goal is only to improve my time from the last 10k. If I walk some, I walk some.

Go for it!

FYI - I actually find myself saying..it is just a 5k...like it's just a walk around the block. It will get easier. Also, I would also recommend no actually running the day before a race. I sometimes do an elliptical workout on Friday morning before simply to keep my cardio burn that I feel I need (but then I'm normally working out 2 hours a day so the 1 hour on these days is still a reduction). If you feel you need a workout, choose something like the bike or elliptical or a swim. Don't actually run the day before your race.
  • howie4four
    howie4four Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks....I have so much to learn!! Advice will be taken!!:smile:
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Run the 5k! If you can only run 2.5 miles adrenaline and excitement will get you through the last mile :) The only advice I will give you is dont start out too fast and you will do awesome.

Agreed, I had yet to run a full 2.5 miles even when I did my first 5k- and completed it just fine. Adrenaline did wonders. I ran the entire thing and beat my goal time by 5 minutes. I am assuming your not doing it to win it- so just get out there and see what you can do. Pace yourself from the VERY beginning. If you feel overwhelmed walk a few minutes. I wouldn't not do it just because you haven't officialy completed your weeks yet.
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I always find races much easier than training it is the atmosphere and the crowds you just get carried away. My first 10k I ran much faster than I had in training and my half marathon felt so easy and it was the hottest day ever I had never ran in that kind of heat before. I always feel like i am on a high. Also it is worth knowing every race i have ever done i really struggle in the first 2 miles then get a second wind and could run forever after that. when I did a 9 mile in the rain and sleet In the first mile i felt like i wouldn,t complete but i did.
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    5K question. I am following C25K program very carefully, doing everything it says I need to do. The program is for 9 weeks. However, I would like to run a certain 5k race that takes place on the 9th week, just before I complete my training. Do you experts think I can just skip a week or run more often than three times a week and therefore catch on?

Thanks
    S
    Here's the thing with running a fun run--It's FUN. It's not a race unless you are racing against yourself. You will be out there with all kinds of folks of all shapes and paces. You might be under-estimating how well you will do. Do the run regardless of how many days a week you've trained. You will find that during the run you may end up pacing yourself with somebody beside you or in front of you and you'll be sort of lost in the run. You will be able to complete it with pride knowing that you've trained for (8?) weeks so far and you'll feel great at the end. I promise.
    I've been running off and on since I was a teen. When I do the fun runs, I'm still suprised at how I can push myself.
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I agree with nickhuffman74.....sign up and go for it! It will be great motivation and you will probably surprise yourself. And if you have to walk a little at the end, you will still FINISH A 5K, which is a great accomplishment.

This! Even if you walk a bit, who cares? Lots of people will be walking, and there's a really good chance the adrenaline will get you through running the whole thing.

You're going to have so much fun :) DO IT!
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Agree with many above - run the race! You will love it and you will be hooked on running. It doesn't matter if you need to walk a bit. I did my first race about halfway through the official program - did a some fast walking intervals - but had such a great time and it just propelled me onto other races. Go for it!!! The C25K is a great program but not a requirement for your race- just teaching you to gradually increase your running intervals. Have fun with your race!
  • draculaspointer
    draculaspointer Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Can I tag along on this topic? I have 1 more night of the couch to 5k program. Last night I ran 30 minutes and felt like I was going to die, but finished. Tomorrow I'll run my last night of the program and have a 5K I want to run on Saturday. But I'm hesitant as last night was really brutal. Does a 5K ever feel easy? Maybe a 5K is supposed to feel brutal!! Is this me sabatoging myself?

I'm no expert, but the 9th week is hard......I'd add runs to your week and not skip over a workout in my very unexpert opinion. My son runs 3 miles every day......He's stronger and more fit than I have ever known him to be.

I plan on running every night this week....tonight it will be 20 minutes
    tomorrow 35
    Thursday 30
    Friday 20
    Saturday is my 5K......

A 5K (to me) is never easy because its where I strive for constant improvement. So I ran it in 31 minutes...next time I want 29. Got to 29, next time 28...etc. I push myself at that distance to make the longer races easier. But a 3 mile "easy" run at lunch time is easy to me now (after 6 months).

Also, I always take the day before a race off COMPLETELY. Its probably more in my head than anything, but I want to feel well rested with "fresh" legs for the actual race.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Agree with the post above. A 5k race will never be easy. It will just be hard for less time. However, as you continue training you will eventually get to where a 3 mi run at a relaxed pace is barely more stressful than walking. The key is consistent training week to week without taking any time off more than a day or two.
  • howie4four
    Options
    Thanks for all of the information!! Did my last night of the training. IT WAS HARD!! Running a 5K Saturday. I'm going to keep it up as I don't want to start over......it can only get easier, right?
  • LetsDoThis103
    Options
    You can absolutely run more than 3 days a week. Make sure you have one or two rest days, but I did about 5 days per week the whole time, and I had no problem. In fact, I felt great.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the information!! Did my last night of the training. IT WAS HARD!! Running a 5K Saturday. I'm going to keep it up as I don't want to start over......it can only get easier, right?

Kick some bootie in your race!

Easier? I'm not sure. I think we become slightly sadistic and keep adding more and more challenges so that it stays just as hard or harder. Like adding distance or speed or hills or different terrain. :happy:
  • howie4four
    Options
    UPDATE--did not run the scheduled 5K on Saturday. After no rain all summer it was a downpour all day Saturday. I didn't know if 5Ks get cancelled due to rain or not--but the 5K was 40 minutes from my home and I didn't want to drive there and risk it. I did run 40 minutes on the treadmill though in place of the "race". Back to running outside today and looking for another 5K to sign up for.
    AGAIN...thanks for all the support . My plan now that I finished the couch to 5K is to keep running 30--35 minutes every other day outside always trying to get further on the path (thus faster). The running outside is the "thing" I want to conquer. :bigsmile: