One Large Zucchini

Options
I've had one in my fridge for a week or so now. What should I make with it?

Replies

• cakelady69
    cakelady69 Posts: 228
    Options
    I made this recipe recently. I used a small amount of olive oil instead of the butter and I used reduced fat cheese(swiss is what I choose) It came out wonderful and even my boys who hate zucchini liked it.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/zucchini-gratin-recipe2/index.html

Also, I did not dot the top with butter. I just mixed the cheese and bread crumbs and put on top.
  • carlyhawks05
    carlyhawks05 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Grilled Zucchini spears basted with olive oil and cracked black pepper

www.skinnytaste.com (Crustless Zucchini Pie) Fabulous recipe!

Skinny Taste has great recipe's and you can search by ingredient!
  • jiddu17
    jiddu17 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Seed it and shred it and freeze it until you are ready to make a baked good (Zucchini bread!).
  • kaylamae88
    kaylamae88 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Take cooked rice and layer it in the bottom of a casserole dish. Slice zucchini, onions, tomato, and mushrooms thin and layer it on. Then spread sour cream(I used vegan cream cheese instead) mixed with chives and spices over the top, then sprinkle with grated cheese and bake at 350 until done. (I'm vegan so I substituted soy cheese for the cheese and vegan cream cheese for the sour cream). It was so good!
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I had this issue last night, only with 3 small zucchinis. Ended up slicing them thin and sauteeing in some olive oil and garlic salt, then topped with parmesan cheese. Tasty!
  • D2244
    D2244 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Shred it and make some zucchini pancakes.

About 2 cups shredded zucchini, 1 egg, 2 tbl flour, 2 tbl parm cheese. Salt/pepper to taste and a dash of nutmeg.

Squeeze out as much water as possible. Mix all together and then scoop up a spoonful and fry in olive oil.

Sooo good.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Julienne the zucchini into thin "noodle" strips, then sautee lightly in a tiny bit of olive oil. Serve spaghetti sauce over it for "carbless veggie spaghetti". It sounds crazy, but it really does taste great, and it sort of tricks your brain into thinking its getting a big hearty spaghetti dinner, for just a fraction of the calories! You can eat a huge heaping plate of it, get completely full from it, and still have eaten less calories than if you'd used real noodles.

If you're not quite ready to give up your carbs, no problem. Just swap out half the amount of noodles you'd usually eat for the zucchini.
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I saw two fabulous recipes lately. One I have tried, the other not yet.

Chicken Enchilada Zuchini boats - recipe is on skinnytaste.com

The other I made trying to replicate potato pancakes. I literally just grated zuchini, potato, butternut squash, onion, garlic add some whole wheat flour, a little egg for binding, spice it up and lightly pan fry with a bit of oil - not to fry, just to avoid sticking. These are soooo good. I love them with greek yogurt (in place of sour cream) and salsa.
  • alythe
    alythe Posts: 22
    Options
    Chop it up, toss it with some olive oil, salt and pepper it, then roast it on a cookie sheet for about 20 minutes at 400 or until it gets golden brown. Shake up the tray a few times while it cooks. This is my personal favorite way to eat zucc, and it's easy to toss up with a grain, use a side, top with some cheese, add to a sandwich, anything. So. Good.
  • Kaddyshack21
    Kaddyshack21 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    my mom always made chocolate zucchini cake. It was soooo good and super moist you were able to cut out a lot of fat b/c of the moisture from the zucchini. Maybe not as "health concious" as some of the other recipes but it was a nice treat!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    zucchini tots are yummy..... Also making spaghetti sauce (sauce, ground turkey, whatever you normally use) and putting it on top of a sliced & sauteed zucchini instead of noodles is so deeeelish!! LOVE Zucchini!!
  • ❤lindsay❤dawn❤
    Options

Chicken Enchilada Zucchini boats - recipe is on skinnytaste.com

Saw these as well... Look super yummy!!

: D
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I've had one in my fridge for a week or so now. What should I make with it?

zucinni boats!!!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/07/sausage-stuffed-zucchini-boats.html

Sausage-stuffed-zucchini-boats.jpg
  • MissC787
    MissC787 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I chop mine up, and spinkle a lemon herb salt free seasoning on it, and grill it on my George Foreman grill. Yummy.
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    ^^^ Those "boats" look soooo good!
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I slice it, slice a few tomatoes, and put a tomato slice on top of each zucchini slice. Sprinkle with a bit of basil and oregano, add turkey pepperoni or canadian bacon & pineapple chunks, a tiny bit of grated mozzerella or parmesan cheese, and bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Call the kids and serve mini pizzas. Fast, easy, nutritious and yummy!
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Slice it lengthwise, boil until tender, and use in the place of lasagna noodles in your fave lasagna recipe!
  • slimmergalpal
    slimmergalpal Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tracym22
    tracym22 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    bump:smile:
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Slice it lengthwise, boil until tender, and use in the place of lasagna noodles in your fave lasagna recipe!

Also agree here!! AMAZING!