Need advice on how to prevent side aches

Options
I am a beginner runner. No matter what I do, I can't seem to prevent it! I try eating different things before my workouts (I wait at least an hour to workout after my meals), I try drinking more water/less water before and during my workout, I concentrate on my breathing, etc. I just don't know what else to try. It's very frustrating because I feel like I can run longer, but the side ache is so bad I have to stop. I feel like I can't make any progress. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Replies

• peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a cramp commonly referred to as 'stitches'. My advice is to run through it if you can, stretch and run again if you can't. It will go away in time.
  • jak1958
    jak1958 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Runner's Stitch is very common when just starting to run - has to do with bloodflow to the diaphram and your breathing... try to coordinate breathing with your foot strikes - and also slowing pace may help.
  • Taneil27
    Taneil27 Posts: 253
    Options
    Thank you :wink:
  • octleigh
    octleigh Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Bump... I could have typed this same thing:)
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Running through it with your arms up in the air will help. You'll look crazy, but I swear it helps.
  • Taneil27
    Taneil27 Posts: 253
    Options
    Running through it with your arms up in the air will help. You'll look crazy, but I swear it helps.

:laugh:

Thanks!!
  • wittersby
    Options
    Try breathing in your nose and out your mouth. That's helped with my stitches!
  • ukulele2010
    ukulele2010 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Runner's Stitch is very common when just starting to run - has to do with bloodflow to the diaphram and your breathing... try to coordinate breathing with your foot strikes - and also slowing pace may help.
    +1 - this works for me.