"Eating back" Exercise Calories - Simple breakdown

Options

Replies

• GeekGirl23
    GeekGirl23 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    So on the days I do my long workouts (1000 calories) I need to make sure I do actually eat the 2490? That seems like a lot, but I have burned a lot so I guess that makes sense. What you are saying is only having a day with 490 net calories would cause this plateau? I'm all for eating more, lol!!

Have you seen the movie this year "The Avengers"? Chris Hemsworth ate almost 6000 calories a day to bulk up for this movie... not FATTEN up, pure muscle. It's all in the matter of what types of foods you eat... cheeseburger (no! no!), Chicken breast (Yes! Yes!)
  • marc8686
    marc8686 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1433 x1.2=1720 -1000 for a 2 pd a week loss. that would be 720 calories a day is that right!!!!!!!!

if your bmr is ACTUALLY 1433, i dont think 2 lb/week is a realistic goal. you'd have to cut too much out. if you send me your weight, height, age, and gender ill run it through the following formula if you'd like and double check the numbers :)

the miflin st jeor equation is as follows for your BMR

males: (10×weight) + (6.25×height) - (5×age) + 5
    females:(10×weight) + (6.25×height) - (5×age) - 161
    weight is in KG and height in centimeters.

then take your BMR times an activity quotient from the below list, do not include your going to the gym or anything, just your daily life aside from workouts. your job, home life, etc. you can log your daily workouts through MFP to keep better tabs on your daily deficits.

1.200 = sedentary (little or no exercise)
    1.375 = lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week, approx. 590 Cal/day)
    1.550 = moderately active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week, approx. 870 Cal/day)
    1.725 = very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week, approx. 1150 Cal/day)
    1.900 = extra active (very hard exercise/sports and physical job, approx. 1580 Cal/day)

the result of multiplying your BMR from that equation and the activity level is your base caloric burn per day. subtract 1,000 calories from that number and thats your 2 pounds per week (7,000 calories per week) deficit.

example: my bmr is about 2750, sedentary lifestyle so 2750 x 1.2 = 3,300 calories. my daily goal for 2 lb/wk is 2,300 calories.
  • HerpDerp745
    HerpDerp745 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    This website. Wow.
  • Rachelsleigh
    Rachelsleigh Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    So on the days I do my long workouts (1000 calories) I need to make sure I do actually eat the 2490? That seems like a lot, but I have burned a lot so I guess that makes sense. What you are saying is only having a day with 490 net calories would cause this plateau? I'm all for eating more, lol!!

Have you seen the movie this year "The Avengers"? Chris Hemsworth ate almost 6000 calories a day to bulk up for this movie... not FATTEN up, pure muscle. It's all in the matter of what types of foods you eat... cheeseburger (no! no!), Chicken breast (Yes! Yes!)

I haven't seen a non PG movie in years thanks to 3 kids, but I get what you are saying. I guess I will up the calories for the next couple weeks and see what happens. I've been stuck for months!!
  • LisaBeateith2012
    LisaBeateith2012 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bump to read tomorrow, too tired!
  • marc8686
    Options
    absolutely. if you're eating 1490 and burning 1,000 of it.......your body is saying "what the hell man?! i use 2,490 just to walk around every day and you're only giving me 490 calories?!" and go into storage mode. if you dont give your body the calories it wants it will store everything it has to store for the energy its lacking. can definitely cause plateaus. EATING isnt a bad thing. but i can speak from experience, eating 2500 calories in a day of HEALTHY FOOD, it can be a challenge.
  • GOBIGGOHOME
    Options
    Sure,

I am 191 pounds and 55 female. I am 5" 2.5" I do light excercise on a normal bases but now I have stepped it up to 5 days a week.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Well explained. I eat all of mine but go on weekly averages rather than daily so that I can eat more on the days I feel I need/want more rather than just on exercise days - as long as I stay within my weekly goal (more easily tracked on the phone app).

Not eating back just makes the job harder and doesn't necessarily increase your losses sufficiently to make it worth risking malnutrition - so why do it?
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options

Distracted by the mention of Chris Hemsworth ..... <wipes drool>

Okay, thanks OP for compiling this. There is so much cr*p to sift through in every debate on this topic that it is nice to see it all in one place, presented in a logical manner. Don't bother playing into the devil's advocate.
  • IrishDaveRed
    IrishDaveRed Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Interesting. It's strange how 3rd world poverty stricken countries don't have higher obesity rates with this logic. Wouldn't you agree? 

In famine or poverty stricken countries they are not losing 5lbs a week on their 2500 calorie deficits either.
  • aweigh2go
    aweigh2go Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Great explanation...

Just my $0.02 worth thought...

If you are one who says "Well I don't eat my exercise calories back and I still lose weight", you may indeed be losing (not to be confused with "loosing") weight but you are on the way of forcing your body to starvation mode.
  • marc8686
    Options
    This website. Wow.
    ha ha what do you mean by that?
  • marc8686
    Options

I haven't seen a non PG movie in years thanks to 3 kids, but I get what you are saying. I guess I will up the calories for the next couple weeks and see what happens. I've been stuck for months!!
    good idea....but be sure not to cheat and fill up that big calorie gap with pizza a donuts lol. i know its a way faster way to make up 1,000 calories but its not really good fuel for your body. up the intake of nutrient dense foods on those days, more protein and whole grain. your actual diet that works best varies from person to person based on DNA so its hard to tell you what to eat and not to eat. i had a dna test done for my wife and i to see exactly what diet and exercise routine helps us lose weight best, so unfortunately "avoid junk food" is as specific as it can get to apply to everybody lol
  • marc8686
    Options
    Sure,

I am 191 pounds and 55 female. I am 5" 2.5" I do light excercise on a normal bases but now I have stepped it up to 5 days a week.

outside of your exercise regimen where does your daily activity level fall? aside from you exercise routine, just your job, home life, etc. you can log your walks, jogs, situps, kickboxing etc on a daily basis so they dont need to be included in this number.
  • marc8686
    Options
    Well explained. I eat all of mine but go on weekly averages rather than daily so that I can eat more on the days I feel I need/want more rather than just on exercise days - as long as I stay within my weekly goal (more easily tracked on the phone app).

Not eating back just makes the job harder and doesn't necessarily increase your losses sufficiently to make it worth risking malnutrition - so why do it?

well said. its very important to listen to your body. if you're on a 1,200 daily goal and you feel like you literally have to starve yourself to hit that goal........your BMR was probably not calculated correctly or youre just trying to keep too big of a deficit for your BMR or something. nobody should feel starved to lose weight.
  • marc8686
    Options
    Great explanation...

Just my $0.02 worth thought...

If you are one who says "Well I don't eat my exercise calories back and I still lose weight", you may indeed be losing (not to be confused with "loosing") weight but you are on the way of forcing your body to starvation mode.

id say based on this guys picture he probably also knows what hes talking about. lol. hes probably in better shape than any of us. but he is absolutely correct. like i said in multiple previous posts........keeping too big of a deficit isnt going to hurt you overnight or doing it once here and there.........but by making it part of your plan it WILL catch up with you eventually and you'll be one of the people on here we hear so often saying "WHY HAVE I BEEN PLATEAU'D THE LAST 2 MONTHS?"
  • Perfectdiamonds1
    Perfectdiamonds1 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    bump to read when I get home
  • dcaf1962
    dcaf1962 Posts: 16
    Options
    We all plateau at some point. Dont get frustrated, but instead get off the scale. Measure your body, waist, arms, thigs, etc, and you will see different results. dont forget that muscle is six times heavier than fat, which in turn means that you might be gaining muscle and loosing fat thus the scale will show you zero weight loss for the week, but your waist just got smaller. Try it, and hopefully you will be less frustrated
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1433 x1.2=1720 -1000 for a 2 pd a week loss. that would be 720 calories a day is that right!!!!!!!!

MFP recommends that you don't eat below 1200 per day.
  • melbaby701
    melbaby701 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post, this clarified things up for me. I was so confused and getting all kinds of wrong info. Will start to do things different and hopefully the last 60 pounds I have to loose starts coming off.