Day 144 Progress with pic.

Options
Katanthus
Katanthus Posts: 348 Member
So... here I am, day 144.

To bring you up to speed, for those of you who haven't read my blog postings. I started my journey on MFP 31st of March this year. I injured my knee pretty badly, and could not walk without excrutiating agony and crutches. My weight back then was 238.6lb, I HAD to get weight off that knee. I had started to get in the pool, to try to exercise without weight on the knee, but the only way I could swim, was with one leg. Not great, but at least I was exercising. My doctor arranged for me to have physio, and my physio was wonderful. I claim it was her, she claims it was me doing as I was told, and continuring the work at home, but WE managed to get me walking without crutches by January. So... what next. I started to do a few more steps each day, even though walking was still very painful, walking around the supermarket was exhausting, and I would have to ice my knee.

I decided to look for an app for my Blackberry, one that would help me log the few measly steps I did, with the idea of trying to improve on that count each day. I stumbled across the MFP app. Like many people, I found the website through the app. I had always found in the past, writing down on paper what I ate helped me stay on track.

I started swimming more, and walking more...most of my walking was with Wii Walk it Out, as I did not want to go out walking on my own, stumble and fall, and have an even more serious injury. Walk it Out is actually pretty good for days when you have bad weather too. Before I knew it, I was increasing my steps, and walking a mile or two a day. My distance continued to increase, not only due to Walk it Out, but I bought a Fitbit...I LOVED it..it really does get you moving. About 4 weeks ago.. I lost it, whilst walking in a store. I miss my Fitbit. Well, decisions had to be made... do I replace it, or buy a HRM? Well I decided to leave it a week, and see what I wanted to do. I was driving home one day, and saw a girl running on the oddest things I had ever seen. I decided to do some research, and found out they were Kangoo Jumps. I read and read, and researched, and they sounded like just the things I needed to help keep the strain and impact off my knees.
I ordered them, along with a HRM. Kangoo Jumps have to be experienced, you really can't tell someone how they feel, except to say... I can jump in them, and I can't jump without them.

So, where am I today?
I have a love hate relationship with my bathroom scale... I love it, because it is accurate... no matter how many times you step on and step off.. it gives you the same figure. So, despite it not giving the full picture, it is at least consistent with the lies it tells. ;) As we all know, the bathroom scale does not paint the whole picture.
At the beginning of my journey.. I measured myself.. and was horrified at the measurements... I am still horrified at my measurements.. BUT, here is what I have lost

38lb
Around ribs 4.5"
Calves 8"
Bust 13" (and very happy about it)
Neck 4"
Forearms 4"
Waist 12"
Hips 15"
Thighs 18"
Upper arms 8"

A grand total of 86.5 inches in 144 days.
15% body fat... GONE
Gone from a US size 22, and this last weekend I bought a pair of size 12 jeans, size 10s won't be far away.

I lost no weight for over a month, yet my body fat monitor showed I had lost 1% body fat and I have exercised away 19264 calories away this month, yet NO actual weight loss. I was also convinced, that part of it is due to hormonal changes

I log every morsel of food and drink. I am under my calorie goal each day, watch my sodium, and drink at least 8 glasses of water. I don't drink soda, or coffee.

I usually jog/run (in my KJs) for 30 minutes running 5+ miles in my 30 minutes. Not fantastic, but not bad for someone who couldn't walk 5 months ago.

I was told to stop the cardio for a week or so and up my calorie intake...I started doing strengthening exercises, upped my calories, and HEY PRESTO, I have started to lose weight again. I will reintroduce my running next week..and make sure I change things up a bit.

I still have a LONNNNNG way to go, and I am frustrated, but not giving up.
I am by no means, the picture of perfect nutrition, and could still make many changes, I am sure.

IF you are just starting your journey...
1. measure yourself as soon as you can.
2. log everything you eat
3. there is NO such thing as a "cheat day". Cheating is a shortcut to your goal... you are NOT "cheating", you are lapsing. I do not have a lapse day.
4. Don't just go for hundreds of MFP friends.. quality over quantity... support each other. Don't expect support and not give it.
5. Remember.. despite how accurate your bathroom scales are.. THEY LIE!
6. Use measuring cups and kitchen scales. Your idea of a serving, is probably more than it should be.
7. Keep active!
8. Do DRINK THE WATER!
9. Make small changes at first...and add more. They will become habits. Believe me.
10. Remember... you have choices. How badly do you WANT it? NO EXCUSES!

I wish you all, the very best on your journey to a healthier happier you!

I HATE having my photograph taken.

compare.jpg?t=1345559101
tshirts.jpg?t=1345560081

Replies

• GeekGirl23
    GeekGirl23 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Good job! Keep it up!
  • BEE353
    BEE353 Posts: 2
    Options
    Super uplifting and motivating! I am happy to hear about your sucess and wish you nothing but continued success!
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    wtg!!!
  • MrsCotto
    Options
    That is great keep up the good work. Reading success stories give me that extra push to continue my journey.
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Great Job!!! Congrats on all your success!!... btw how tall are you?
  • sunny_smile5
    sunny_smile5 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Great job! and Thank you so much for all your tips! You are right...the scale does lie sometimes. I looked at myself in the mirror this morning and saw noticeable changes in my tummy and arms, but weighed myself and the scale said I had gained 0.2 pounds, but everything feels and looks firmer all around so I'm just happy about that. I will definitely have to keep them in mind as I continue on my weight loss journey.
  • Bluebox32
    Bluebox32 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I loved your post, very interesting read! Congrats.
  • Katanthus
    Options
    Great Job!!! Congrats on all your success!!... btw how tall are you?

Only 5'2"
  • kasslass2
    kasslass2 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Incredible job! Keep up the amazing work!
  • womanwithamission
    womanwithamission Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    All of your hard work has paid off. You look good, I love the t-shirt photo. You are a great example of a successful weight-loss journey. Thank you for sharing
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Firstly... it is a bit weird clicking through to check out a friend in her swimwear... but I promise it's just to tell you how well you are doing! Well done Kat. Such a big difference! I'll be with you for the next chunk!
  • Katanthus
    Options
    Firstly... it is a bit weird clicking through to check out a friend in her swimwear... but I promise it's just to tell you how well you are doing! Well done Kat. Such a big difference! I'll be with you for the next chunk!

Thank you for being there every step of the way.
  • mummye27
    mummye27 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    fabulous work ta for the inspriation xxx ps love the pooch :):wink:
  • debobrien1
    Options
    Awesome inspiration! I have never heard of Kangaroo Jumps before. I have horrible knee issues and would love to be able to run! I looked them up online... I would love to hear more about your thoughts on these... Are they really worth the high price?
  • Katanthus
    Options
    I would love to hear more about your thoughts on these... Are they really worth the high price?

I saw them, and thought they would be good for my injured knee, and never thought I would be running in them. I just thought I would wear them to be able to move around and get a bit of exercise. I saw a girl running past wearing a pair when I was driving my car, and looked them up when I got home. I saw the price, and thought I would leave it a week, and see if I changed my mind... but I did more reading on them, and they sounded like they would really take the pressure off my knee. I ordered them, and they arrived within a couple of days. I LOVE them. Seriously, I can't run without them. My other half, keeps saying that they were well worth the money, and he was a bit leery about buying them, thinking it was just some high priced gimmick. I took them with me to see my physio, who became a friend...and she and her colleagues were thrilled with them. They LOVED them. I guess it also depends on what knee problems you have. When you consider, you can pay $150+ for a pair of running shoes, which in my case, rip my feet apart. They are well worth the price. They bring out the inner Tigger in you. :)

All the best. Please feel free to message me with any other questions you have.
  • Brinasacat
    Brinasacat Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Looking great Kat!! WTG!
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    So awesome!!!
  • themrsbriggs
    themrsbriggs Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    GREAT JOB!!!!!
  • debobrien1
    Options
    I would love to hear more about your thoughts on these... Are they really worth the high price?

I saw them, and thought they would be good for my injured knee, and never thought I would be running in them. I just thought I would wear them to be able to move around and get a bit of exercise. I saw a girl running past wearing a pair when I was driving my car, and looked them up when I got home. I saw the price, and thought I would leave it a week, and see if I changed my mind... but I did more reading on them, and they sounded like they would really take the pressure off my knee. I ordered them, and they arrived within a couple of days. I LOVE them. Seriously, I can't run without them. My other half, keeps saying that they were well worth the money, and he was a bit leery about buying them, thinking it was just some high priced gimmick. I took them with me to see my physio, who became a friend...and she and her colleagues were thrilled with them. They LOVED them. I guess it also depends on what knee problems you have. When you consider, you can pay $150+ for a pair of running shoes, which in my case, rip my feet apart. They are well worth the price. They bring out the inner Tigger in you. :)

All the best. Please feel free to message me with any other questions you have.

Thanks for the info Kat... I'll let you know!!!
  • lorettaasmith
    lorettaasmith Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Kudos for your success...you're almost down in Onederland! Keep it up!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!