Can't spot burn fat but does it help 2 build muscle there?

Options
Okay, we've all heard, over and over by now that we cannot spot burn fat. There is no secret magic pill to take or exercise that will burn the fat on your belly or thighs or wherever may be your problem area. But, I have a question and a theory.

Is there any point or benefit to specifically BUILDING muscle in the area where you most want to burn off the fat? Here's my thinking... and it is JUST thinking. NO, I have NOT researched it. I'm just wondering aloud. Muscles when called to a task and working hard must burn available glycogen, calories, carbs and stored fats to power your work out. Is it at all reasonable to think that they will pull from the closest available source? So, if you do build more muscle in your abs, they are more likely to pull from the belly fat when they need extra energy to fuel them? Or if you build your thigh muscles with weight training, are they more likely to pull from the fat stores in your thighs? What do you think? Have there been any studies on this? Have you read anything on this? Do you have any science that would support or negate this (probably hopelessly optimistic) idea of mine that has just come to mind?

Replies

• ROBJ3411
    ROBJ3411 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    The short answer is no. Not sure that there is any research out there specifically on this, but the principles still apply... Now saying that if you have lets say flabby arms and you build the muscles in your arms they may "seem" less flabby.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    If this were true, then doing crunches should give you a six pack.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I have read some studies that indicate that this does happen, but to a VERY small degree. Basically inconsequential. So in other words, no.

Just think, how many times a day do you read threads where people talk about doing ab work every day but they still can't get rid of the belly fat? Because they're misled by the myth of spot reducing. It's an oddly prevalent one, unfortunately.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    I have read some studies that indicate that this does happen, but to a VERY small degree. Basically inconsequential. So in other words, no.

Just think, how many times a day do you read threads where people talk about doing ab work every day but they still can't get rid of the belly fat? Because they're misled by the myth of spot reducing. It's an oddly prevalent one, unfortunately.
    I've read the article and it was a study done on leg extensions. But the work time is approximately 4 hours for it to happen.

IDEA Fitness member
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

I've read the article and it was a study done on leg extensions. But the work time is approximately 4 hours for it to happen.

IDEA Fitness member

Right, and the results were minimal at best if I remember, even after all that completely unrealistic work.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    It would be nice. Sigh. I suspect it's hopeful thinking. :sad:

Bump.