question about Caloric goals and nutrition goals

Options
So, I'm just getting started, and my caloric goal for the day is 2280, and that of course comes with a bunch of nutrition goals. When I exorcise I have to eat more calories, but as far as I can tell, my nutrition goals stay the same. So if I burn 500 calories swimming and exorcising, and have to eat those back up to keep my body's metabolism from entering starvation mode, how do I keep under my fat, sodium sugar, carb, etc goals? Am I supposed to use those more as a simple baseline, and not worry so much so long as I'm eating healthy?

Replies

• JmeJinxx
    JmeJinxx Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    your fat, protein, fiber, and carbs go up when you adjust for exercise. the sodium and sugar (i think) still stay the same.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Your protein, carbs, and fat numbers will go up when you enter your exercise calories because they are % of your total calories. So don't worry, you will meet your macros most of the time, if you eat according to plan. Sometimes a little bit over and sometimes you will stay in the green. We all do.
  • katierechgomez
    Options
    I have been wondering the same thing...I have noticed that I will have like 500 unused calories but only about 1 or 2 grams of fat left.
    Does anyone know if calories are most important or are fat grams??
  • ModernLeper
    Options
    Your targets for carbs, protein and fat should increase as you earn exercise calories; MFP increases your target number of grams so they still match the percentages you have set your macros at (for example 30:40:30 fat:protein:carbs).

Sugar and sodium won't increase because they aren't considered a macro nutrient, more just something everyone needs but in moderation, you certainly won't need more due to exercise (except maybe to replace all the salt you sweat out in the gym!) and then things such as vitamins and minerals just have a standard daily dose for everyone.

Eat back your exercise calories making sure you hit your macros, and definitely don't get your carbs through sugar.

Good luck!
  • ModernLeper
    Options
    I have been wondering the same thing...I have noticed that I will have like 500 unused calories but only about 1 or 2 grams of fat left.
    Does anyone know if calories are most important or are fat grams??

That is because the different macro nutrients are worth different amounts of calories. One gram of fat is worth 9 kcalories, protein and carbohydrates are only worth 4. There are a lot of kcalories in a small amount of fat!
    However I think meeting your calorie goals is more important than worrying about macros, unless you are a body-builder!
    When you are in the later stages of weight loss, start focusing on hitting your macros more accurately.