New Runners &/or Couch to 5K

Options
I have just begun to start to become a runner. Last year I tried the Couch to 5K and found it boring listening to the same music every day so I basically went on my own this time. I decided to do it as run two blocks, walk one, run two blocks, walk one, etc. I have been doing it for just over a week and feel an amazing difference in myself already. I'm obviously slow because of my weight and stamina not built up yet but I'm going and DOING. I need assistance and suggestions. Last week I had a lot of blisters on my feet, not so much this week, any idea why? I have been lucky enough to not have any pains or muscle aches, is this because I was not sedentary before starting or just not pushing enough? I was doing elliptical, treadmill, and stationary bike prior. What is a good time to increase my running, slowly or just jump in? Or wait until I start decreasing my time/increasing my speed before I do more? They say to make sure you eat and drink water before you run, but because I run in early AM I find it hard to eat before I go and afraid to have to pee once I'm out and about and having to find someplace to go. My metabolism I believe have jumped significantly during this time and consistently hungry, should I try and eat thinly and stay within my initial calorie limit or go ahead and add a little more on? I don't like to eat the calories that I burn...

Replies

• cspinato
    cspinato Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Best advice is to make sure you have great running shoes. Find a store where they check you running on a treadmill and find you the right shoe.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    really good shoes get your gait checked and a good sports bra does wonders
  • madina62
    madina62 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I finished c25k and habe continued running. I also run in the mornings before work and wasnt eating. One day I happened to have breakfast before going and I noticed a difference in how I felt. I do think eating before is a good idea.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Are your shoes the right size? There are different tying methods you can do if you have slippage problems.

http://katierunsthis.com/2011/10/04/running-shoe-lacing-techniques/
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Are your shoes the right size? There are different tying methods you can do if you have slippage problems.

http://katierunsthis.com/2011/10/04/running-shoe-lacing-techniques/
  • rciszek
    rciszek Posts: 134
    Options
    I plan on getting some new shoes this weekend. They ...were... the right size but I have also lost 35 pounds since I bought them so they may be big now. I have not had anymore blisters AT ALL since the first week and I also do not have sore feet or anything at all. I do get tight calves, but that is from not stretching before or after the run. I will try and maybe eat something nice and quick, just not a morning "eater". In fact I usually don't eat an actual breakfast until 9:30. I will drink a protein shake/smoothie on the way to work in the car.
  • rciszek
    Options
    PS...I'm surprised because I never expected a sports bra to be comfy or anything and I actually found one that is actually comfortable and dont mind wearing....and I'm glad that I don't have to worry about losing control...lol
  • fanci9900
    Options
    The joys of running... got to love them I know I do... I would if you want to challenge yourself with running start off with time first, don't worry about miles or speed that will come with time. If you can only lets say 20 minutes straight right now try to pushing yourself to 25 minutes and once a week or when you feel you can run the new time comfortably move it up about 5 minutes.

When you get to where you need even more challenges do walk/run intervals. That will build up your endurance to where you can run longer and father and even make you faster. Start of with intervals of running for 60 sec and 90 secs walking and as each week goes buy increase. I would do Intervals 2 to 3 times a week along with you time run.

Another workout is tempo runs which are starting off at a slower pace than what you used too then gradually increasing your pace to your normal to a bit faster pace that your used to and then towards the end of the run gradually decreasing your pace again. This would go great when you are doing your timed run.

There are other workouts for running but they are for more advance running once you get there let me know and I will help out too.
  • sgnmom
    sgnmom Posts: 3
    Options
    I've just started C25K for the second time. Didn't make it all the way first time, but I will this time. One suggestion, if you want to do the actual program and listen to your own music, active.com has a c25k app for iphone (and probably others) that if I paid anything for it, it wasn't much, and you can use your own playlists of music to run. I love it.
  • warrenvalley
    warrenvalley Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'll jump on the shoes bandwagon. They are crucial and you need to go to a specialty running store if you want to put miles in. They will get a shoe that works for your body.

I run at night but do long runs on weekend mornings. I'm with you on the drinking and being afraid to have too much. I try to concentrate on hydrating the day before an early morning run and just having a glass of water when I get up.

I also found I having something small but protein-packed before the run helps a lot. Yesterday I had a 6-oz Chobani before I went out and that has 14 grams of protein. Not too filling and I had a great run.

Good luck!
  • rciszek
    Options
    Thank you all for the amazing suggestions and help, I will keep you guys in mind when I need that step up. You all make me feel better about my decision to do this journey on as a beginner runner. THANK YOU!!