Ladies only! No periods... :(

Options

Replies

• beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Fake post, this person with their current weight subtract the weight they want to loose in KG they would weigh neg lbs..

Just because the banner was bogus does not mean that this situation or this individual is not real...There are lots of people on this board who are trying to lose weight when they should not be doing so.. The situation that she was describing was certainly in tune with the pictures of herself that she had posted.
  • Discogirl15
    Options
    I have thesame problem, I have only lost about 25 pounds, but I haven't had my period for 2 months! Recently, I stopped lossing weight though, NOT intentionly, I want to lost about 10 more pounds! Any ideas??? I need help!

You aren't eating enough food.....

I feel like I eat like crazy! I know my calorie intake is usually about 900-1000, but I feel like I am ALWAYS eating, and I have stopped lossing weight! What gives???
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I have thesame problem, I have only lost about 25 pounds, but I haven't had my period for 2 months! Recently, I stopped lossing weight though, NOT intentionly, I want to lost about 10 more pounds! Any ideas??? I need help!

I feel like I eat like crazy! I know my calorie intake is usually about 900-1000, but I feel like I am ALWAYS eating, and I have stopped lossing weight! What gives???

You have trained your body to live on too little. Eat some more calorie dense food and you won't have to add bulk to get extra calories.
  • Discogirl15
    Options

You have trained your body to live on too little. Eat some more calorie dense food and you won't have to add bulk to get extra calories.

What would you consider a calorie dense food? I know PB is one, but what else?
  • beansprouts
    Options
    How many calories do you eat a day? My guess is, not enough...

This does not have to be about not eating enough food....If it is about low body fat vs high muscle...It is more likely to be about TOO much exercise!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

This does not have to be about not eating enough food....If it is about low body fat vs high muscle...It is more likely to be about TOO much exercise!

not necessarily true. either of the above can bring about this situation.
  • beansprouts
    Options

not necessarily true. either of the above can bring about this situation.

No...more food will only make things worst...Okay, for the sake of argument...Let's assume that this (woman) is currently at 90+% muscle and burning a ton of calories everyday in the gym..(((but she now needs more body fat/ and less muscle in order to start having her periods again)))....At her current level of exercise...Adding more food will just fuel the building of more muscle not fat...On the other hand...if she reduces her exercise and just continues to eat at the same level...she will develop body fat..
    Options
    You're missing my point--either one CAN Lead to a lack of menstruation. Insufficient calorie intake causes a host of hormonal changes that can impair menstruation irrespective of body fat levels. Now if body fat is too low then any amount of food wont help until the body fat is increased. But body fat cannot increase on a calorie deficit. So food intake does matter as does body fat.
  • foodisfuelforlife
    Options
    Fake post, this person with their current weight subtract the weight they want to loose in KG they would weigh neg lbs..

Very real post! I am in maintenance! How on earth could I lose 60 kilos- I don't even weigh 60 kilos!
    I eat about 1800-2000 calories but I work out a lot

Could I gain weight by building muscle or does it have to be fat??
    Options

Very real post! I am in maintenance! How on earth could I lose 60 kilos- I don't even weigh 60 kilos!

It needs to be fat unfortunately.
  • beansprouts
    Options

Maybe I'm wrong but...If your Dr was telling you to skip the gym...it doesn't sound like he was interested in seeing you pick up anymore muscle mass...Muscle does not store estrogen in the female body...only fat does that!.

Do you have any idea what your current percentage of body fat is? Women athletes often run into this low body fat- no period problem...and their doctor's give them the same advice that your doctor gave you.
  • StacieHof
    StacieHof Posts: 97 Member
    Options

It needs to be fat unfortunately.
  • StacieHof
    StacieHof Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Agree with love4fitness! Foodisfuelfor if you do not want to loose weight you may want to change your ticker, my period always gets off or stops when my body fat % is to low I had to gain 2lbs to have a period last time. Hope this helps.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem - I haven't had a period since March and I'm not doing anything extreme. I've lost almost 80 lbs, but it's taken me a little over a year to do it. I'm at the higher end of the healthy BMI range, so I'm definitely not too skinny. I do work out at least 5X/week, but only for 30 minutes (I either run 5km on the treadmill, go for a bike ride, or do a Shred video) and I usually eat around 1400-1500 calories a day.
    Options
    I'm having the same problem - I haven't had a period since March and I'm not doing anything extreme. I've lost almost 80 lbs, but it's taken me a little over a year to do it. I'm at the higher end of the healthy BMI range, so I'm definitely not too skinny. I do work out at least 5X/week, but only for 30 minutes (I either run 5km on the treadmill, go for a bike ride, or do a Shred video) and I usually eat around 1400-1500 calories a day.

The weight loss itself sets off a series of hormonal changes that can stop your body from producing the hormones responsible for menstruation.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options

The weight loss itself sets off a series of hormonal changes that can stop your body from producing the hormones responsible for menstruation.

Totally - I'm just hoping that my body re-adjusts by itself soon because I really don't want to have to start taking any medication like BCP to bring them back. My point was that it's not just those that work out like crazy or starve themselves that lose their period. Being female officially sucks - getting your period sucks, but not getting your period also sucks too. LOL!
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I read a few days ago that some women have to maintain a certain body fat %..

*Don't attack! I don't remember where I read this... so you'll have to look it up. I was just curious as to why mine has been so awful.. and came across it.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I would listen to my doctor.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    Please look after yourself and realise that if your body has stopped your periods it's because you're not healthy enough to carry a child. By not eating you're starving your body of essential vitamins and minerals (such as iron) as well as calories. Good luck with getting them back and enjoy the cake :)

Exactly!
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    same here! 60 some days, no period. cramps and breast tenderness for 4 weeks, but still no period. :(