Eating After a Certain Time

Options
I was just wondering if anyone has found evidence regarding the belief that you shouldn't eat past a certain time at night.....before heading to bed. Is there a number of hours before retiring for the evening or a set time? Does this add or hinder weight loss? Just something I've been pondering!
Thanks!

Replies

• RawVeganFlirt
    RawVeganFlirt Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    this is just my personal experience but, i eat an hour before bed pretty much every single night and i've been able to lose and now maintain without any problems at all. so honestly i think its a big fat myth. as long as you stay within calories why should it matter? besides, we do burn calories while we sleep!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Many people feel it doesn't make a difference. Some do, though. A lot of people don't eat after a certain time just because they know they'll snack and eat crappy food (and too much of it).

Personally, I snack as late as I want and it has never made me gain weight or hindered my weight loss as long as I stay within a calorie limit.
  • RawVeganFlirt
    RawVeganFlirt Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    good luck with your weight loss by the way! <3
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    It wont effect your weight loss...so unless you're having reflux or some other problem....eat whenever.
  • cmeroar68
    cmeroar68 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I couldn't understand how it would hinder weight loss.....but it was something I wanted others opinion's. I, too, believe it is all about calories in and calories out!
    Thanks everyone!!
  • wisters
    wisters Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Excellent question and the answer is I have NO idea.

I had a pysch prof once, skinny as a rail, and he talked about how he ate every hour (something small<----grazing) from 6am to 6pm and not a moment after. I have no idea why that stuck with me but it stuck and when I started my epic journey to fitness I incorporated this into my self created plan. I don't eat after 7pm. It has worked for me. It is only one of many changes I have made, and whether it has seriously contributed to my weight loss I cannot say. But I am sticking with it.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    It's mostly relevant to personal preference. I don't sleep very well for 1-2 hours after eating. That means I often don't eat past 9 during the summer. In the same respect, it means I don't eat past 3am during the university term.

It won't really affect your weight loss unless you are going over your calorie goal. For example, if you meet your goal at dinner, then have a midnight snack every day it could be a hindrance. If you stay within your goals day to day, the time you eat doesn't matter. It's the same as the whole breakfast myth. I eat breakfast if I'm hungry. I'm up for work at 5am most days, and if I'm not hungry, sometimes I don't eat until noon. It's a balance across the day or week, your body really doesn't care when in a 24-hour cycle that you eat your calories.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    I can eat pizza at 3 am ..... wake up at 8 am and feel skinnier than I did the whole entire day before... time of day does not matter, I eat late every night!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    this is just my personal experience but, i eat an hour before bed pretty much every single night and i've been able to lose and now maintain without any problems at all. so honestly i think its a big fat myth. as long as you stay within calories why should it matter? besides, we do burn calories while we sleep!

I didn't even have to type what I was going to say! The only difference between what this person said and what I am going to say is that I eat right up until bed and have been able to lose and maintain!
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    No scientific basis.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I don't believe it matters for weight loss but from a digestion issue it is good to give yourself an hour before going to bed.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I don't believe it matters for weight loss but from a digestion issue it is good to give yourself an hour before going to bed.

This is probably a personal thing. I have no digestion issues eating right before bed
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I work shift work. I have no choice but to eat late in the night sometimes.
    I also work long shifts so after finishing work, working out, I often come home to eat then go right to bed.
    Neither has affected me negatively.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I eat whenever I want and never had issues losing weight. sometimes I stop eating at 8pm sometimes 2am.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    There is no scientific basis to the idea of not being allowed to eat after a specific time. It is all personal preference.
  • fay_pigu
    fay_pigu Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I like the theory that it stops those that get bored / tempted snacking, so helps reduce weight. I do eat late and have had no issues losing (or indeed putting it on first).